Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tex

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Looked a class above when he came on at Birmingham before that. Must be something to do with the way the manager sets up the team to play? Is it my imagination, or are we suddenly picking up fewer yellow cards now?

I'd imagine that after Dunk lost his mind on sat, the team were given something of a talking to about discipline and the impact of picking up a ban. I see CH as the sort who will make Dunk fight his way back into the team rather than immediately opening the door for him - I can see him serving an extra couple of games out of the team as "punishment".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ince recently seems to have added an extra dimension to his game....he looks so much more comfortable on the ball and distribution wise

Completely related to having a steady ball player alongside him. He doesn't have Bridcutt's positional awareness so when he was being asked to mop up in front of the back four on his own, he always looked short of time and over run. Holla's also allowed Ince to get forward more which is a great development.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
De ja vous?
9d11cf160be6ae3bb4b31c5130b5e9bc.jpg
df509e85011aedf9e316e6958bab79b9.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ince recently seems to have added an extra dimension to his game....he looks so much more comfortable on the ball and distribution wise

This is most apparent but is it down to CH giving him a more specific role with him and Holla being the 2 DM. Both have improved in recent games. He even managed to retreive the ball having had a lapse of concentration and giving it away a couple of times with wayward passes.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think he was able to perform because the team played so well. O'Grady not only good hold up and distribution, which really helped keep the momentum, but also drew players away from Tex and Baldock to give them more space. Great team performance and great to see three good finishes

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
K
Ok, but irrespective of what Tex's role is we've seen him not do it enough times this season to be cautious now.
His range of passing hasn't been obvious this season.
Where as his inability to get his head up and make the pass has been there for all to see.

If CH is his manager and the potential gets realised in this half of the season then fabulous.
But let's not back date it, just to have a dig at one of our actual players.

I agree, but I think that's because (as others have posted), he's been expected to play a full (attacking and defensive ) role in a lightweight midfiekd. Now we have Holla and Ince he can concentrate solely on being an attacking threat

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
With Ince and Holla in midfield, O'Grady holding the play up and laying the ball off to feet, then Tex can come into his own. With the previous midfield of Gardner and JFC, he never had the support or back up to run the opposition ragged. A player like Tex puts the opposition on the back foot, if he has a solid midfield.

Most succinctly put Soulman - Allah be praised

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I
This reminds me of Chris Waddle's complaints in All Played Out where he explained that he and John Barnes couldn't do it for England because when they played for the three lions they were expected to track back all the time. 25 years later you have the same problems with the English game. Give the likes of Tex a free reign. Let him hurt people with his sublime skill, touch and range of passing rather than expecting him to be combative with 16 stone centre halves. What would that achieve anyway?
That's all well and good but tell Mourinho that his ball players can just have a free reign and not have to track back and keep the teams shape when defending.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Got to laugh that a thread praising one player results in some knocking JFC. We might have won 5 zip with JFC or might have lost, who knows.
As far as Tex is concerned, if he can do that on a regular basis we will see why Liverpool rate him so highly and we will have a very good second half of the season.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Tex is, and always has been, raw quality. He obviously suffered in a lightweight midfield, and will flourish is a much more solid framework. I thought the bench was also very interesting last night with Rea and McCourt. Seems like Hughton has very different perspective on what will work. Exciting times

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Got to laugh that a thread praising one player results in some knocking JFC. We might have won 5 zip with JFC or might have lost, who knows.
As far as Tex is concerned, if he can do that on a regular basis we will see why Liverpool rate him so highly and we will have a very good second half of the season.

So you think JFC could put in a performance like Tex did last night ?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I
That's all well and good but tell Mourinho that his ball players can just have a free reign and not have to track back and keep the teams shape when defending.

That's one way of playing and of course it works for Jose, but does Messi defend? Was Vicente a physical prescence? Did Matt Le Tissuer get stuck in?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's one way of playing and of course it works for Jose, but does Messi defend? Was Vicente a physical prescence? Did Matt Le Tissuer get stuck in?

When Tex is one of the best players in the world, plays up front, I'm sure Hughton will go easy on him and Le Tiss was a lazy bugger which is why with all his undoubted talent did not get the England caps that he should have. Vicente played mainly cameos at the Albion to be honest didn't he Jimmy ?

You have to work back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here