Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Terrible support, terrible facilities, terrible day.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I found the view from my seat very annoying, constantly having to bob my head up and down, or move side to side, to see past the railing at the bottom of the stairs. Should have been sold as a restricted view seat IMO, would never have chosen to sit there if I’d known.

FCA65A0C-3ECF-44C8-8B04-971CB03DB541.jpeg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disagree, good thread with plenty of replies about yesterday.

His main point about the standing section is a fair one, surely everyone in that section should have been up for it.
My sons and their friends got told to sit down in the standing section at Spurs because some of our fans at the back wanted to sit.
This is in a nutshell the uncomfortable reality some people have with what they think our fanbase is, and what it actually is. Said it elsewhere, we are a mixed up ragtag bunch from geeky looking old school programme and badge collectors, to young hipsters with no socks and tight jeans, to elderly folk, to family days out. We are the kind of support where at an away game in a safe standing section you will have someone telling you to sit down.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This is in a nutshell the uncomfortable reality some people have with what they think our fanbase is, and what it actually is. Said it elsewhere, we are a mixed up ragtag bunch from geeky looking old school programme and badge collectors, to young hipsters with no socks and tight jeans, to elderly folk, to family days out. We are the kind of support where at an away game in a safe standing section you will have someone telling you to sit down.
He ended up in an argument with a steward, the steward couldn’t see his point when my son asked him what was the point of having safe standing if he can’t stand up?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I was in the first few rows of safe standing. I’d have enjoyed the match a lot more if I could have actually seen what was happening on the pitch. A bloke and what seemed to be his girlfriend spent most of the game holding up homemade banners, blocking the view of those of us behind them.

When he was asked politely to not hold them up, so we could see, he responded by being abusive and telling us that he was trying to create an atmosphere. He achieved quite the opposite really, as he pissed off a fair amount of people.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Time to move the Semis away from that lifeless bowl

Wait till the semis are drawn and then pick a stadium, having Man City and Sheff travel down to London is a disgrace.

Should have played it at OT and the second Semi semi at Tottenham/Arsenal
Yeap, the fact the first semi didn't sell out said it all..

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I was in the block to the right of safe standing area and it was a good atmosphere there . The ones to the right of us must have been 133?? We’re a lot louder and sang more than the safe standing which I was surprised about .

The Albion chant seemed to be the only one that everyone sang together, along with Withdean to Wembley. But that’s the same at the Amex , the other stands don’t really join in with other chants .

Wembley isn’t great for atmosphere, by the time one side starts singing and it reaches the other side the song has stopped or the song has been sped up so much it’s just clapping .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Going against the grain here, I thought we were great. Led by middle/lower rows in the lower tier.

MrsW watching on TV, said we much, much louder than Manure.
Yep, it’s Wembley. What do people expect ? Seems some people parading their superiority superfan complexes. Best if people just go and have a good day and not worry about everybody else.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Having gone expecting to be charged ridiculous prices for rubbish lager (which certainly was on offer) I was pleasantly surprised to find two gin-and-craft-beer stands where the prices were a little high but not wildly out of line with what you can pay in London or Brighton pubs. Service was cheerful and the queues moved quickly. The one near block 535 also had a real ale stand next to it.

And I appreciated the upper tier having a single continuous concourse so I could wander along before the game and meet friends who had tickets in other blocks.

That's all I can muster in defence of the Wembley experience. Getting in, getting out, that whole area around the stadium: terrible.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

His main point about the standing section is a fair one, surely everyone in that section should have been up for it.
My sons and their friends got told to sit down in the standing section at Spurs because some of our fans at the back wanted to sit.
That’s crazy. We’ve stood at every away game we have ever been to as have everyone else apart from some in the front row. Once, some years ago, a woman asked me and my daughter to sit down. We didn’t say anything but moved elsewhere and when the game started I glanced back to see the realisation on the woman’s face that everyone stands at away games. If you want to see the game it isn’t a choice.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That’s crazy. We’ve stood at every away game we have ever been to as have everyone else apart from some in the front row. Once, some years ago, a woman asked me and my daughter to sit down. We didn’t say anything but moved elsewhere and when the game started I glanced back to see the realisation on the woman’s face that everyone stands at away games.
He said they always stand at away games, definitely seems crazy when there was safe standing provided.
At the last semi final against City I had seats in the second to back row of the lower tier, just before the game kicked off I asked others around me if we were standing as many were starting to sit down, I got some very odd looks and no reply.
I had to sit down but jumped up when we had an attack near the end, I got told aggressively by a lady behind me to sit down, it put me off going in the lower tier for yesterday.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

That's bonkers! It was very clear when buying tickets - so for that section it said 'safe standing'.

I bought a ticket for that section because although I'm quite happy sitting (I sit in West Upper at the Amex) ... I appreciate that it's usually the done thing to stand at away games. So if there's an option at a ground to get a spot in a railed section, I will go for that. Those that really want to sit at away games need to try and get seats right at the front - although I appreciate they're not always going to be available depending on which 'on sale' day you can buy in.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's bonkers! It was very clear when buying tickets - so for that section it said 'safe standing'.

I bought a ticket for that section because although I'm quite happy sitting (I sit in West Upper at the Amex) ... I appreciate that it's usually the done thing to stand at away games. So if there's an option at a ground to get a spot in a railed section, I will go for that. Those that really want to sit at away games need to try and get seats right at the front - although I appreciate they're not always going to be available depending on which 'on sale' day you can buy in.
I haven’t been to the new Spurs stadium, is the away end all safe standing?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

My brother and I have had to stop going to away games as we’ve both had serious heart problems and are simply unable to stand for 90 minutes. Fortunately we’ve both been season ticket holders during the whole of the Amex era and were therefore in the priority 2 section for buying tickets.

We chose seats in the middle tier as close to the front, (row 2), as possible. Right in front of us in the front row was an individual who was either standing, sitting on the back of his seat or leaning over the wall shouting insults at the United players and fans as though he thought they could hear him. When asked to sit down he replied, “stand up for f&*^’s sake.

Yes if you can’t or don’t want to stand all game select appropriate seats but likewise if you do then don’t select seats where you’re going to block the view for other fans. Standing up and being obnoxious to others doesn’t make you a better fan, it just makes you a “cock”.

Whilst I’m a big supporter of safe standing at stadiums I’d like to see seating only areas at away games which were strictly enforced, so that people like myself could once more enjoy travelling away and supporting the Seagulls.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My brother and I have had to stop going to away games as we’ve both had serious heart problems and are simply unable to stand for 90 minutes. Fortunately we’ve both been season ticket holders during the whole of the Amex era and were therefore in the priority 2 section for buying tickets.

We chose seats in the middle tier as close to the front, (row 2), as possible. Right in front of us in the front row was an individual who was either standing, sitting on the back of his seat or leaning over the wall shouting insults at the United players and fans as though he thought they could hear him. When asked to sit down he replied, “stand up for f&*^’s sake.

Yes if you can’t or don’t want to stand all game select appropriate seats but likewise if you do then don’t select seats where you’re going to block the view for other fans. Standing up and being obnoxious to others doesn’t make you a better fan, it just makes you a “cock”.

Whilst I’m a big supporter of safe standing at stadiums I’d like to see seating only areas at away games which were strictly enforced, so that people like myself could once more enjoy travelling away and supporting the Seagulls.
I do think a dedicated seating section at away games should be made, especially since we can all choose our own seats now.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Why do people hate drums? If you think it's tinpot, trust me, that horse bolted when the words of our song was shown on screens, and people still don't know them. Plus, nearly all of the best atmospheres have drums, they're just played well.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

I totally get that (y) As I said, I prefer to sit if at all possible ... but I'm able to stand (at the moment) if I have to.

My seat was also in the middle tier (assume you mean the Level Two tier?) ... and I was able to get a front row seat to take out the possibility of someone standing in front of me ... although everyone in the section I was in were seated anyway.

Also agree that clubs should try and find a way of enforcing seating in an area for those that are unable to stand for health reasons - whatever that might be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here