Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terraces at the world cup

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I think they built a load of new stadiums. I could be wrong but I think it will be all-seater.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
cardboard said:
In Germany thet have stadiums that can either be terracing or seats. They change them overnight

Bloody clever Germans!!!!

Bit like Withdean, it can either be terracing or seats, they change them in the summer

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
ALLIANZ ARENA, MUNICH, GERMANY
In April 2002, soccer's world governing body FIFA, approved Munich's proposed Allianz Arena as one of the twelve sites for the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The new stadium is expected to host the opening game of the tournament on 9 June 2006, with the final being held in Berlin’s upgraded Olympic Stadium on 9 July 2006.

ALLIANZ ARENA LOCATION
During February 2001, five potential locations were found for the new stadium: the area north of the Riem Fairgrounds; Fröttmaning; Freiham; the southern Olympic Park; and the university sports grounds.

In July 2001, the decision was taken to build the new stadium, which will be the joint home of FC Bayern Munich and TSV 1860, in the northern Munich district of Froettmaning.

STADIUM DESIGN
The design brief for the stadium was fairly straightforward; it had to have a capacity of 66,000, be designed specifically for football (no multi-functional arena, no athletics track) and a roof covering all seats.

The walls of the 66,000-capacity structure, designed by Swiss architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, will comprise inflatable ETFE cushions. Through a series of lighting elements the colours of the cushions will change depending on what team is playing at home. White/blue or red/white diamonds will move over the walls as if it is a giant LED screen.

The "see-through" stadium will be a spectacular piece of architecture. The roof over the diamond-shaped shell will also be translucent, as if detached from the stadium walls.

The stadium will consist of three tiers of terracing and provide unobstructed views for the 66,000 spectators. 10,000 seats in each of the North and South stands will be convertible into standing terraces.

There will also be integrated offices and conference rooms aimed at the non-soccer revenue streams. There will also be two Fan restaurants: the TSV 1860 restaurant in the North stand and the Bayern restaurant in the South stand, each seating approx. 1,500.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
gazwag said:
Bit like Withdean, it can either be terracing or seats, they change them in the summer
Bit like everywhere we go...........seats, and everyone stands.:lolol: :lolol:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
cardboard said:

The stadium will consist of three tiers of terracing and provide unobstructed views for the 66,000 spectators. 10,000 seats in each of the North and South stands will be convertible into standing terraces.

why ohh f***ing why can we not have this kind of stadium design over here - f***ing FA bullshit!:p

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
cardboard said:
In Germany thet have stadiums that can either be terracing or seats. They change them overnight

Bloody clever Germans!!!!

Excellent idea.
What a shame that FIFA won't allow the terracing to be used. Particularly if the World Cup went off without incident.
Then other countries could revert to the terracing idea.

I suppose that is out of the question. :rolleyes:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Brighton till i die said:
why ohh f***ing why can we not have this kind of stadium design over here - f***ing FA bullshit!:p

As far as I know, there's no reason why we couldn't, although there wouldn't be much point as the FLA would never let you convert the seating into terracing for a match.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Brighton till i die said:

auf schalke areana is also similar and they cost a fraction of wembley.. im afraid to say Wembley is alrteady dated compared to these puppies

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Southover Street Seagull said:
I also think some clubs prefer seats as they can charge you more!

Though I would be happy to pay what I pay now to be able to stand without a poxy steward telling me to sit down before he throws me out.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The FLA made a "fact finding mission" to the AOL Arena in Hamburg to look at German terrace/seat design. The stadium is an A* star stadium according to UEFA ranking which puts it on a par with the Stade de France and the Bernabeu amongst others. It holds 60,000 with a terraced home end and a small terraced corner section for visiting fans. It's an amazing stadium (that's a little hard for me to admit but it's true) and will host 5 games in the World Cup.

The FLA decided it was totally unsafe according to their calculations.

They really are the most stubborn bunch of fuckwits on this planet.

This is top quality nonsense from the FLA but does unfortunately expalin their mindset.........

The Government’s policy should be understood in the context of Lord Justice Taylor’s Report into the Hillsborough Disaster of April 1989, in particular the following key extracts, which remain equally valid and pertinent today:

It is not enough to aim only at the minimum measures for safety. (Paragraph 59)

There is no panacea which will achieve total safety and cure all problems of behaviour and crowd control. But I am satisfied that seating does more to achieve those objectives than any other single measure. (Paragraph 61)

It is obvious that sitting for the duration of the match is more comfortable than standing. It is also safer. When a spectator is seated he has his own small piece of territory in which he can feel reasonably secure. He will not be in close physical contact with those around him. He will not be jostled or moved about by swaying or surging. Small, infirm or elderly men and women as well as young children are not buffeted, smothered or un-sighted by large and more robust people, as on the terraces. The seated spectator is not subject to pressure of numbers behind, nor around, him during the match. He will not be painfully bent double over a crush barrier. Those monitoring numbers will know exactly how many there are without having to count them in, or assess the density by, visual impression. There will still, of course, be scope for crowd pressure on standing whilst entering and, especially, when leaving but involuntary and uncontrolled crowd movements occasioned by incidents at the game are effectively eliminated. (Paragraph 62)

It is true that at moments of excitement seated spectators do, and may be expected to, move from their seats. But the moment passes and they sit down again. (Paragraph 64)

:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here