Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis scoring

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Tosser? Lovely. When people choice a holiday don't you think they do research into their destination like 'GOOGLING IT' or people like yourself and Lenny Rider are so uneducated that don't know how to use the search engine.

I know you've only been around for a short time but I can't help feeling that you haven't really caught the mood of NSC yet.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Wiki

The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".[citation needed]

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
No, but another question I have is, why call it 30-30; why not go straight to deuce? It's effectively the same thing.

Need to have at least 4 scoring points so that a player has to serve from either side of the court twice. It's fairer if there's, for example, uneven court conditions (e.g. glaring sun) or if you're left handed (though there's an argument that lefties have an edge when serving at Advantage). Though maybe an avid tennis player can correct me if I'm wrong

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Need to have at least 4 scoring points so that a player has to serve from either side of the court twice. It's fairer if there's, for example, uneven court conditions (e.g. glaring sun) or if you're left handed (though there's an argument that lefties have an edge when serving at Advantage). Though maybe an avid tennis player can correct me if I'm wrong

No, you are right. Lefties do have the advantage that side, as a leftie who plays right handed, I have the nautral advatange that side.

But at 30-30, you will need to serve at the deuce side and the advantage side so you will ultimately have to serve twice at each end. It is exactly like 4-4 in a penatly shoot out afyer 4 each, already sudden death but not in name. Just how it is.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I'm surprised the European stupid police haven't already changed the scoring to 1,2,3,etc. It's french isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here