Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis Courts in brighton

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah, Wimbledon really has made a difference, I walked past the courts in Preston Park the other afternoon, guess what , all empty.
We should have free courts for a couple of hours each day for kids ( goats) so they can afford to play at an early stage it is still seen a little bit of a elites sport! Like golf.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The ones up Ditchling Road? They're often full. I suppose it depends on the time. (There's a tennis club that meets up there). When I'm working at home I walk past them every day with the dogs.

Off topic a bit, but these prices seem a bit steep. No wonder 'poor' kids don't play and thus we (Britain) miss out on a lot of potential talent.

Kids don't pay adult rates though. It's £3.80 a court for them, less than two quid if it's before 5

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Yeah, Wimbledon really has made a difference, I walked past the courts in Preston Park the other afternoon, guess what , all empty.

Well, I walked past Queens Park and St Ann's Well Gardens yesterday and both courts were fully utilised. In fact, there was one parent playing tennis with their son on a footpath at the latter because all the court space was taken. Part of this may well have been 'the Murray bounce', but the beautiful weather would have been a major reason too.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sort of on-topic; I know nothing of court prices and even less about the act of actually playing but I find myself equally inspired, if anyone around Brighton is looking for an opponent/victim then let me know!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Free courts with nets all year at East Brighton Park, Rottingdean, Saltdean.
Free courts with no nets (yes, daft, but people still use them), all year at Woodingdean Central Park, BASVIC field (2 sets) and Wild Park.
Free courts virtually everywhere from October to April.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Having high user fees for publicly funded tennis courts in an appalling policy. Were I grew up in Western Canada, I had some public tennis courts a 3 minute walk from my house. They, like all non tennis club courts, were free to use.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Hove seafront. Next to bowls club. Supposed to be 6.50 an hour but no ones ever charged me.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
After watching wimbledon ive decided to get into it anyone reccomend somewhere relatively quiet and cheap/free courts in Brighton?

Yep the ones up Carden Ave in Patcham, and the ones opposite Rottingdean Village's home ground are never staffed. Don't ever pay for using a tennis court, if the LTA want more champions in future years, they will start stumping up cash to pay the councils for maintenance instead of having some old hag with a bumbag demanding you remortgage your house every time you want a casual game

Edit: Mackie Ave

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Maybe if they didn't pay people £7.60 per hour to monitor tennis courts to ensure people are paying to play, they wouldn't have to charge £7.60 for an hour court hire. Seems like some ridiculous job creation policy.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
East Brighton Park, near Btn Marina, not sure of cost though!

AAaahh that brings back nostalgia.... playing on the grass courts there as a kid, convinced I was actually at Wimbledon.

Concrete courts for the French open didnt quite work though. :(

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe if they didn't pay people £7.60 per hour to monitor tennis courts to ensure people are paying to play, they wouldn't have to charge £7.60 for an hour court hire. Seems like some ridiculous job creation policy.

Not really. If they have two courts full for everu hour they'd double their money!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Having high user fees for publicly funded tennis courts in an appalling policy. Were I grew up in Western Canada, I had some public tennis courts a 3 minute walk from my house. They, like all non tennis club courts, were free to use.

This!

Yep the ones up Carden Ave in Patcham, and the ones opposite Rottingdean Village's home ground are never staffed. Don't ever pay for using a tennis court, if the LTA want more champions in future years, they will start stumping up cash to pay the councils for maintenance instead of having some old hag with a bumbag demanding you remortgage your house every time you want a casual game

Edit: Mackie Ave

Why should people have to pay to use courts that receive/need no maintenance anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here