Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ten reasons now is a great time to start cycling

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Twice as many cyclists were killed on UK roads this March/April, than last year.

Obviously there are plenty of attributing factors, but the main one being the massive increase in speeding penalty notices being given to the holier than thou drivers of their 2 tonne death wagons.

Talking about speeding...it was so nice up until two weeks ago driving around for work and not feeling the stare of the driver behind who wanted to break the speed limit...back to normal now :( ....some were zooming past at my guess of 90mph on the A27 tonight

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and one reason why now isn't a good time:-

[tweet]1260198150649737216[/tweet]

Granted other than the girl who saw a gap and went for it, there aren't any winners here, but still...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Looks like it’s just before Olive Road ??

Yep. Cycled along it to try it out for the first time this morning and it's JOYOUS. It's a route I've always avoided in the past as the road surface is shite and the drains jut right out. Well having the lane is utterly transformative and I can see it being a really attractive for anyone who lives Southwick, Portslade, Mile Oak, Hangleton etc. I pootled along during rush hour and the remaining car lane was also - shock - not completely logjammed. Nor was the approach to the merge lanes at the bottom of Benfield Valley.

Well done whoever was responsible

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
and one reason why now isn't a good time:-

[tweet]1260198150649737216[/tweet]

Granted other than the girl who saw a gap and went for it, there aren't any winners here, but still...

How can you even play devil’s advocate with that one? That is just a knuckle head moron of the absolute highest order. Never wrong, can’t even be told anything, can’t ever say sorry even if it’s a tiny child, and kicks their bike. What a big man. Tough as can be. Total prick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How can you even play devil’s advocate with that one? That is just a knuckle head moron of the absolute highest order. Never wrong, can’t even be told anything, can’t ever say sorry even if it’s a tiny child, and kicks their bike. What a big man. Tough as can be. Total prick.
I did go below the line on that one and so many people were calling out the father and praising the 'big man' for kicking the bike.

Sure Dad should have been bellowing 'excuse me', as should his daughter, but that's rather small beer when compared to the reaction and dénouement

Have you seen yesterday's attempted murder on Road CC.

Broad daylight, fella in a bright orange jacket, halfway round a roundabout.

Camera man approaching junction, lane 1, van lane 2, orange man off to the right, crossing their junction to exit left.

The van, which had stopped, just pulls out into the cyclist.

The footage is on Facebook (Burger King Roundabout Hull) so I can't bring it over here.
Apparently the comments below the line were 'Id be suing the cyclist' 'he is in his blind spot' as well as a tabloid picking up the story asking 'who was in the wrong'.

Were it not so serious it would be blood funny.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep. Cycled along it to try it out for the first time this morning and it's JOYOUS. It's a route I've always avoided in the past as the road surface is shite and the drains jut right out. Well having the lane is utterly transformative and I can see it being a really attractive for anyone who lives Southwick, Portslade, Mile Oak, Hangleton etc. I pootled along during rush hour and the remaining car lane was also - shock - not completely logjammed. Nor was the approach to the merge lanes at the bottom of Benfield Valley.

Well done whoever was responsible[/QUOTE]

I had to pop in BQ a few times....and get more paint....and blimey using a half inch brush was a pain

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Temporary Cycle lanes now in the section of the OSR from Hangleton Road - Goldstone Crescent junction.

In this section the original near side lane is now the cycle lane with a solid white line.

Edit just seen a few posts up that someone else has reported this also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess they are called ebikes? the one he bought has a range of 50 miles (so he says), how much further do you need?

As if by magic this review nails it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billro...eat-design-huge-price-drop-make-it-a-bargain/

It's a great read, I'll hazard a guess if [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] sees it he'll be gliding past in his fedora, in no time.

Seemingly Van Moof (no me neither) produced the ground breaking S2 and it was one of the best ebikes available, although it cost $3,398.

They have now released the S3.

The design is the same.
The brakes are considerably better.
The motor is considerably lighter, but has the same power.
The tech compatibility is mind-blowing.

And the price is $1,400 cheaper, just a couple of years later.

That's all from one small, slightly bespoke, Dutch bike producer.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

I'm thinking about it. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here