Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Telling ither people's children off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I doubt someone who can't even stand up to their child would be so assertive but I get your point.

Yeah, and I take yours. I hadn't seen your post about her being close to tears, looking beaten. It changes my opinion somewhat, perhaps you were right after all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Homeland? Would it be RUDE to suggest you watch By Any Means? At least you're not planning an evening in front of Downton Abbey. As for Carr's water biscuits ... I'd suggest you try out a packet of Rakusen's Matzos - a much better size for dealing with a good mix of pickle and cheese.

I like those too. I'm also rather controversially a fan of crispbreads, perfect for the softer cheeses.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
ask edna, being a copper i can guarantee you she's ALWAYS telling other peoples children off :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The little ankle tap with your supermarket on said brat works wonders, followed by profuse apologies by you (totally OTT of course!). Works wonders.

You're coming shopping with me next time. Let's end spoiled children forever.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I can see why it annoyed you but could argue you getting involved was just as rude as he was to his mum.

Unless my kids were swearing or being violent I'd be pretty pissed off if someone got involved.

I don't think it's rude, unless it's done in a rude way.

Fact is, the kid and his mum were in a public space and their behaviour have an impact on other people (not just to Nibble but other kids and parents around), so well done to Nibble for showing some courage and making a stand, and a tactful one at that.

I like those too. I'm also rather controversially a fan of crispbreads, perfect for the softer cheeses.
... and there's a deal of pleasure to be had when you can nullify the "low calorie / ideal for slimmers" message with a spread of full fat squidgy cheese that's at least three quarters of an inch deep.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
By telling other people's kids off, you are indirectly calling them bad parents.

I don't think that's necessarily true, although I agree it's a very common interpretation to make. Nibble said the words that he did. Nothing more, The meaning that others choose to make about the words is down to them. Whether the mum chose to interpret it as 'he thinks I'm a bad mum who can't control her own child', 'it's good that other people see what I'm going through', 'thank goodness people care enough about respect to others to intervene' or any of the other possible interpretations is her choice.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Telling other people's kids off when their parents are around is not something to be done lightly but there can be situations where it is justified. It might really piss off the parent but equally it might make them more aware that they should be more assertive themselves. They may even be grateful.

When I was a teenager I was given a talking to by an uncle because I was being insolent to my mother. He was absolutely right and it had a very profound effect on my future behavior - and I remember it to this day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just in general getting told off by an adult that isn't one of your parents or a teacher can have quite a shocking but positive impact. It seems to resonate a little more. I remember several times being told off by friend's parents and it having a positive impact on my behaviour.

Don't get me wrong I;m not on some sort of mission it was a one off.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
... and there's a deal of pleasure to be had when you can nullify the "low calorie / ideal for slimmers" message with a spread of full fat squidgy cheese that's at least three quarters of an inch deep.

Haha! Precisely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here