Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Live on a marina?

The slightest wind and "clank, clank, clank, clank..."

It would drive me INSANE.

Nah I like it.
Much like living near the train track after a while I doubt you'd even hear it.

Plus the fact my large penthouse suite would be quite well isolated.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Retired last year at 58 and moved from Hove to Seaford, downsized but live only a couple of stone throws from the beach, absolutely love living here and have enjoyed lockdown with some fantastic walks from home. Seaford head, Cuckmere Haven, Alfriston and Friston forest all walkable. The Amex 35 minutes on a direct train makes it quicker to get to than from Hove. Worth a look around here, with avoiding rush hour Brighton only 25 minutes by car Eastbourne barely 20 Lewes a mere 15. Chuffed we made the move tbh. Worth a thought??? Just noticed the Southampton connection so probably the wrong county.

Friends of mine in the process of doing the same - from Burgess Hill to Seaford in their case. Went for a jog with him last week up and over Seaford Head and along the River - beautiful. Saw their new place which has a nice sea view but is juts a little sheltered (not sure I'd want to live directly on the seafront). Property prices seem a bit lower, the seafront never seems too crowded and transport links are OK too. Can definitely see the attraction.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You could build yourself a castle out of pizza boxes.

Waaaaay ahead of you:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Retired last year at 58 and moved from Hove to Seaford, downsized but live only a couple of stone throws from the beach, absolutely love living here and have enjoyed lockdown with some fantastic walks from home. Seaford head, Cuckmere Haven, Alfriston and Friston forest all walkable. The Amex 35 minutes on a direct train makes it quicker to get to than from Hove. Worth a look around here, with avoiding rush hour Brighton only 25 minutes by car Eastbourne barely 20 Lewes a mere 15. Chuffed we made the move tbh. Worth a thought??? Just noticed the Southampton connection so probably the wrong county.

Thanks. Wouldn’t rule it out. Added to the list!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have had a look but it just feels a long way from anywhere which I appreciate is also an attraction!

What about Dorset?

Bridport and surrounding areas would tick all of your non Sussex boxes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'd suggest Burwash but a) it's in Kent of course and b) there's enough incomers there already.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We have had a look but it just feels a long way from anywhere which I appreciate is also an attraction!

Well, other places are a long way from Cornwall, that's true, but all the rest of Cornwall is nearby to your house :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I do miss going to the Amex more than once or twice a season, and it is a long old haul to Sussex, but it really is a wonderful wonderful place to live.

Nobby Horton's Knob

Aug 4, 2019
Portsmuff
Whatever you do, don't move to Portsmouth! What a dump. I moved here to be with my other half, and I can't wait to return to glorious East Sussex. If you really have lost your marbles and want to move to Hampshire, I can recommend. Portchester ( between Portsmuff and Fareham ). Castle street is quite affluent area and has a real ale type pub 'The Cormorant'

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Cornwall. I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to live anywhere else.

It rains loads more than it does here, and is a long way from loads of places!

Stunning, though, and I can certainly see the attraction if you like peace and quiet and aren't bothered about trips into London and what-not (personally love day trips to London for a West end show or day out etc)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’d really think hard about taking on land and sizeable garden as you retire. Unless you can afford someone to maintain it for of course. You might be feeling differently in less than 10 years time. Unless of course you’re planning to move again.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We have considered this as an option - so long as I don’t need to support B’muff.

Well, consider it hard. We live in Beaminster, having moved from near Bristol (hence NSC name) 2 years ago. We wanted: a) a change of lifestyle at exactly your ages; b) somewhere that was quiet with a sense of community but not miles from anywhere; c) didn't need to get into car to buy a pint of milk; d) reasonable access to railway.

Beaminster ticks all of those boxes. 4 miles from Crewkerne station; 5 miles to Bridport with most of retail you need (and Crewkerne is OK too); local pharmacy, Co-op, PO, surgeries, schools. It is popular, house prices are around 10% higher than surrounds but we have a 6 bed grade 2 listed house for under £600k with a beautiful garden. We made new friends, go to beach (have hut at Charmouth); I walk a lot in the scenic country inland and along the coast, and we can access rest of country fairly easily. London is just over 3 hours door to door; Amex is about the same (I am STH, park at Mill Road); Exeter and Bmuff and Bristol/Bath are 75-100 minutes away for retail therapy if required.

East Dorset has attractions. We looked at Wareham, which is that much closer to Bmuff and Amex, and slightly quicker to London. It is a very nice town, but prices are high, and the scenery and coastline further away. East Dorset is also a lot busier as the scenes at Bmuff beach attest. Purbeck is stunning, but actually quite remote and difficult to access to and from in busy season.

A final suggestion is to look at Poundbury, basically a new town attached to Dorchester. Architects have tried hard not to build lookalike boxes, and have largely succeeded. In a modern way, it is attractive. Dorchester has all facilities except mega shopping and is few minute ride away. We were surprised at house prices, not ridiculous by any means. The only thing is that it rather resembles 'Brighton on a smaller scale'; it is not THAT different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here