Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Telephone socket

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can we have "Dave" channel just for BG threads?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm an ex BT engineer.
As others have said it's very easy.
The tool to push the wires in is really useful but it can be done with a knife.
If you buy a new BT socket the instructions come with it.
You need to get the right coloured wires in the right holes.
There are six, if I remember correctly you only need 2&5 to get the dial tone, the others are for extensions.
If you have an overhead drop wire (pole) the wire may be coming directly into the box.
Orange and white should have the dial tone on it, goes to 2&5.
If it is fed underground then a white wire will be going into the socket, it will have 6 wires, read the instructions as to which colours go into 2&5 as I can't remember.
If you can't get dial tone then you have no choice but to call BT as often when someone moves out the line is cut off and put back on again when new person moves in, if instructed to do so by the new owner/ tenant.
Maybe the last owner did not have a BT line anyway, it may have been dead for ages.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What most people do not realize is that my son is at work and doesnt have access to NSC or the internet other than for work so if I can help him out I do. Hence he rings me with requests to look at this trhat and the other thing on the internet. It was my idea to ask the posters on NSC as I thought that there were a number of wires and it could be complicated putting them in the correct place..

Carry on, mate. You got the advice in the end. As for the comedy, it is what it is. :shrug:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've wired several extension sockets in my house.

But my understanding is that you're not supposed to touch anything on the back of the master socket

The special tool for pushing the wires over the splice is about a quid and helps simplify the job.

HOWEVER, if it's a rented property - tell the landlord about it - he *may* fix it.
Alternatively, if you sign-up to any broadband provider [except Virgin] and you're paying for a landline - they are responsible for the socket, but will likely get Openreach to sort it.
If it's not connected to the exchange, the ISP will again need BT to connect up at the exchange and/or the local green-cabinet - that's all part of the connection subscription fee.

D

Deleted member 22389

Son has moved into a flat but the previous tenants have ripped out the 2 telephone sockets and left hanging wires Is it a difficult thing to replace or is there an engineer in the HH area that could possibly help. If so please PM me.

I would listen to the advice of Shropshire Seagull, that is your simplest option.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I've wired several extension sockets in my house.

But my understanding is that you're not supposed to touch anything on the back of the master socket

The special tool for pushing the wires over the splice is about a quid and helps simplify the job.

HOWEVER, if it's a rented property - tell the landlord about it - he *may* fix it.
Alternatively, if you sign-up to any broadband provider [except Virgin] and you're paying for a landline - they are responsible for the socket, but will likely get Openreach to sort it.
If it's not connected to the exchange, the ISP will again need BT to connect up at the exchange and/or the local green-cabinet - that's all part of the connection subscription fee.

This is all true.
BT are responsible up to the first socket.
And as I said in my post there is a high chance you have no dial tone at the end of your wires anyway.
If you are lucky it is disconnected in the exchange or cabinet, if the pair has been nicked to fix or provide another line then BT will have to get a working pair to the flat all the way from the exchange.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It must be me but I really do not understand what satisfaction or achievement anybody gets from doing this when they vacate a flat.

It isn't necessarily a deliberate act of vandalism. Leaving the phone connected to the last possible moment, in case of emergency, followed by removal men, picking up a large piece of furniture, not realising the extension cable is wrapped round it and hey presto, broken box.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It must be me but I really do not understand what satisfaction or achievement anybody gets from doing this when they vacate a flat.

When we moved into this house, we had to immediately pop down the shop and buy some light bulbs - as they had taken every single one with them!

As well as the dog-grate, which was actually mentioned in the sale details, which annoyed me even more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here