Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Telegraph article on the Albion wastefulness in front of goal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Chip in" yes, but their primary job is to win the midfield battle, so how about Connolly, Maupay and Wellbeck step up, act as men, and be honest enough to say, yes, they have not been good at their primary job, which is to convert chances. Instead of hiding behind others. Or better still, the manager have that honest conversation then drop them. It's up to the player how they respond. They are well paid men, not 10 years old. People I knew were being shot at in North Africa then Italy when they were same age. Let's not have the "can we turn someone into a victim" card please.

:ffsparr:

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
how did you pull WWII into this? :clap2::clap2::clap2: :moo::mad:

The "poor little darlings, let's become a victim because we are failing" card rightly gets on my nerves. "Young", not a bit of it, they are old enough to draw the wage, so act like a professional, get it right or face up to it like a man.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Lallana was particularly wasteful against Palace

Obviously, any player in our team scoring a goal for us is good news. But our club’s leaders need to focus on the primary issue, which is our strikers failing to convert the gilt-edge chances constantly being made for them. Deflecting from this issue is unproductive IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Obviously, any player in our team scoring a goal for us is good news. But our club’s leaders need to focus on the primary issue, which is our strikers failing to convert the gilt-edge chances constantly being made for them. Deflecting from this issue is unproductive IMHO.

Spot on. Common sense, but the problem with common sense, it's not very common.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The "poor little darlings, let's become a victim because we are failing" card rightly gets on my nerves. "Young", not a bit of it, they are old enough to draw the wage, so act like a professional, get it right or face up to it like a man.

you need a bit of prspective

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

have you invented cs 1910 as someone to talk to bw?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Chip in" yes, but their primary job is to win the midfield battle, so how about Connolly, Maupay and Wellbeck step up, act as men, and be honest enough to say, yes, they have not been good at their primary job, which is to convert chances. Instead of hiding behind others. Or better still, the manager have that honest conversation then drop them. It's up to the player how they respond. They are well paid men, not 10 years old. People I knew were being shot at in North Africa then Italy when they were same age. Let's not have the "can we turn someone into a victim" card please.

How would it help the team if they said "we've not been good enough at scoring"?
What do you mean with "hiding behind others"? Did anyone of them make some comment where they blamed someone else?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How would it help the team if they said "we've not been good enough at scoring"?
What do you mean with "hiding behind others"? Did anyone of them make some comment where they blamed someone else?

Maupay and Connelly would’ve been hiding behind braver comrades at Anzio and Tobruk.

I hope that clears that up.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

Both been very silent. I think they would have gained huge respect if they had said " yep, not converted my chances today, not good enough". It's the modern way. Same in cricket, they talk about "the batting unit" failing to score enough runs, when some bloke has knocked 150 and the others have failed. It's not collective responsibility, it's individual responsibility that then adds up to collective responsibility. There is then a vocal minority that are desperate to turn the forwards into poor little victims, so that we can feel sorry for them. I'm not blaming, Connolly or Maupay or Wellbeck for conceding goals at set plays, but they are responsible for missing chances as centre forward. It's simple as that really. Football really is a simple game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Both been very silent. I think they would have gained huge respect if they had said " yep, not converted my chances today, not good enough". It's the modern way. Same in cricket, they talk about "the batting unit" failing to score enough runs, when some bloke has knocked 150 and the others have failed. It's not collective responsibility, it's individual responsibility that then adds up to collective responsibility. There is then a vocal minority that are desperate to turn the forwards into poor little victims, so that we can feel sorry for them. I'm not blaming, Connolly or Maupay or Wellbeck for conceding goals at set plays, but they are responsible for missing chances as centre forward. It's simple as that really. Football really is a simple game.

How would gaining your respect/feeding your ego help the team to win and the players to score?

Football is not simple game, but you have a simple brain.

boik

How would gaining your respect/feeding your ego help the team to win and the players to score?

Has to be said that there's a few on here that think football is still the same as it was in the 70s. I'm sure they were the ones shouting "Get it forward" when we started playing possession based football under Gus. I bet they shut up once we started winning playing that way tho. Charlie Hughes last few disciples.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
have you invented cs 1910 as someone to talk to bw?

Just nice for someone else to show some common sense, use their own brain, rather than following the completely wrong ‘insights’ of the herd on here

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Just nice for someone else to show some common sense, use their own brain, rather than following the completely wrong ‘insights’ of the herd on here

are they using their own brain? or is it yours?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
With all of these psychological problems we must be top of the list for 'big chances missed': https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed?se=363 , or our strikers must be: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

Apparently not. Maupay in 15th, Welbeck 22nd, Connolly 29th, Trossard 40th. Team in seventh. Our strikers miss as many decent chances as their peers do.

Our issue is the quality of chances. You can get a high Xg from either creating a good number of good chances, or a huge number of poor quality chances. In the last few games we did the latter. Our average number of shots per game was 12 over the season up until mid February. This went up by 66% or more in the last three games. Yes we should have scored one of the three golden chances against WBA, but on the whole we were hitting shots through packed penalty areas because our patient build up against teams playing a low block always means that we are doing our midfield passing in big spaces and our finishing in very small spaces.

We haven't got a Zola type striker who can make space for himself, but we are playing against defensive teams in a way that would suggest we have. Its the equivalent of putting loads of high crosses into the box if we did have Zola. We have strikers who are happiest playing with the ball in front of them, turning and outpacing or holding off defenders, but we can't play in the way that gives them these opportunities if teams sit back. If we are going to continue playing this way, we need to be signing a special teams sub who excels at working in tight spaces in the box. United had the same weakness against the low block and signed Cavani. What's Javier Hernandez's up to these days?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

No you are over-complicating a ****ing obvious problem. You are the one who needs a reality check, and stop spouting endless excuses for our failings up front3 you and your sheep-like cronies.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Has to be said that there's a few on here that think football is still the same as it was in the 70s. I'm sure they were the ones shouting "Get it forward" when we started playing possession based football under Gus. I bet they shut up once we started winning playing that way tho. Charlie Hughes last few disciples.

Who is Charlie Hughes!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here