Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teenage car insurance

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Any suggestions. My 19 yo passed his test a couple of months ago and has come back to live at home b4 going to uni next year. Want to get him on car insurance - 1.3 Toyota - 7 years old and worth c £2,500. Premiums being quoted seem way above what we paid two years ago when he was learning on a 1.1 Peugeot (which we no longer have).

I'm trying to put him on my insurance as a second driver.

Anyone any ideas of the best comanes to try, esepcially if they are ones that are not on the price comparison websites ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Any suggestions. My 19 yo passed his test a couple of months ago and has come back to live at home b4 going to uni next year. Want to get him on car insurance - 1.3 Toyota - 7 years old and worth c £2,500. Premiums being quoted seem way above what we paid two years ago when he was learning on a 1.1 Peugeot (which we no longer have).

I'm trying to put him on my insurance as a second driver.

Anyone any ideas of the best comanes to try, esepcially if they are ones that are not on the price comparison websites ?

Guess you won’t get it much below £2’500
Our boy is 18 and just passed his test, and although he has 2 years no claims for moped/ motorcycle and clean licence with no convictions I can’t find any cheaper that £3000 for the most basic 900-1000cc car. a year ago when he was 17 it was only £1800- £2000, its gone up a lot in the last year.

Been told to aim for smallest engine and avoid anything with “i” os “s” etc and go for 5 doors rather than 3.

We can put him on the wife's car who is with Diamond but he won't accrue any NCB that way.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Cheapest place we found when my nipper got his 1st car was a company called eCar insurance.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Admiral was cheapest for me (18 and passed a few months ago) costing £1800 as a second driver! Thats with my 21 year old sister who only has a provisional as the main driver. On my own it was £4000!! Scandalous!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Admiral was cheapest for me (18 and passed a few months ago) costing £1800 as a second driver! Thats with my 21 year old sister who only has a provisional as the main driver. On my own it was £4000!! Scandalous!!

It's true it's a lot of money - possibly mroe than the car is worth, but I think the statistics are pretty clear about the most likely sort of people to have accidents - and that cost is a reflection of that, not aimed at you personally, of course.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
As Bulldog wrote, I was with ecar insurance too. They offerd me a good quote.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
It's true it's a lot of money - possibly mroe than the car is worth, but I think the statistics are pretty clear about the most likely sort of people to have accidents - and that cost is a reflection of that, not aimed at you personally, of course.

A valid point, but not entirely accurate. The main reason the recent ridiculous jump in insurance premiums is fraud I believe. People think its ok to defraud an insurance company, they in turn pass the cost onto the consumers. Bum deal if you ask me. At 22, my insurance went UP this year despite 5 years no claims.

as a side note, I think statistics are the bane of this existance, I'm not a number.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I... I think the statistics are pretty clear about the most likely sort of people to have accidents - and that cost is a reflection of that,

i think the costs are a reflection of the insurance companies raping young drivers, knowing they'll pay whatever, to subsidise the rest of a competitve market. 15 yeasr ago none of my mates paid £2k on basic 1.3L cars, all would have been under 1k. i had classic car insurance (£600? cant remember exactly) and was paying more than a lad with a 950cc fiesta. £4k would have been an eyewatereing amount for some expensive hot hatch like a cossie.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A valid point, but not entirely accurate. The main reason the recent ridiculous jump in insurance premiums is fraud I believe. People think its ok to defraud an insurance company, they in turn pass the cost onto the consumers. Bum deal if you ask me. At 22, my insurance went UP this year despite 5 years no claims.

as a side note, I think statistics are the bane of this existance, I'm not a number.

I have no particular insight, but I would imagine it is true, but I would have thought those costs would be spread across the entire customer base - unless the stats show that younger people are doing the defrauding, I couldn't say. I'm sure it's very true to say that if all claims were genuine, that we'd all be paying a lot less in insurance.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not so much fraud but a huge increase in the number and cost of bodily injury claims in no fault accidents. You might describe that as fraud of course! Many people, not just young drivers will face premium increases this year as a result. Young drivers will be doubly hit as Quinn are now out of the market and they were very aggressive on pricing for young drivers (which might explain why they are now out of the market!)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
insurance is an absolute f***ing rape scene - you just have to grin and bear it

My daughter passed her test last May and I am the main driver with her as a named driver!! It has gone up about £130.00 since she has passed her test, but to be honest it is still not bad considering we were looking at over a grand originally for her on her own insurance!!

Really do not know how youngsters these days are supposed to pay prices like that for their car insurance? It really is not fair!!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Churchill, but we phoned up and negotiated. Also went to a 999cc car. The reason it leaps after passing their tests is that they can go out without a qualified driver in the passenger seat, not fraud. They are more likely to be less careful without someone who has been driving for longer and yes, it's extortionate and you can understand why they drive with no insurance - vicious circle really. One of my students has a deal where the car is only used between certain hours and that dropped it quite a bit - as did reducing the mileage.

Best option for an under 25 trying to get insured is for them to take a Pass Plus course.

Most insurance companies will give a years NCB (30%) to the holder.

I am a driving instructor and conduct PP courses in one 6 hour hit. There is no test at the end.

Cost of the course is £150, but they can get a £60 rebate as part of the sussex safer roads innitiative if they attend a short seminar on road safety.

So for the cost of £90, they would see a saving of £450 on a £1500 premium, just in year one. In year 2, providing they are accident free, they will have 2 years NCB instead of 1.

Finacially it really makes sense, but the 6 hours post test tuition, which includes Motorways, rural roads, Bad weather and night driving is a real benefit.

If you want more details, please PM me.

Col

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
You can earn NCB with Churchill as a named driver. As mentioned above getting a deal where you have a night time curfew drops the cost significantly too.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Best option for an under 25 trying to get insured is for them to take a Pass Plus course.

Most insurance companies will give a years NCB (30%) to the holder.

I am a driving instructor and conduct PP courses in one 6 hour hit. There is no test at the end.

Cost of the course is £150, but they can get a £60 rebate as part of the sussex safer roads innitiative if they attend a short seminar on road safety.

So for the cost of £90, they would see a saving of £450 on a £1500 premium, just in year one. In year 2, providing they are accident free, they will have 2 years NCB instead of 1.

Finacially it really makes sense, but the 6 hours post test tuition, which includes Motorways, rural roads, Bad weather and night driving is a real benefit.

If you want more details, please PM me.

Col

Not convinced by that.
With the on-line companies, confused, gocompare etc.., there is an option to say if you have PP, the difference in selecting it and not selecting it has only made a difference to the high cost insurance companies, not the most competitive ones, so in reality it makes no difference.

If you can find me an competitive insurance company that will reduce the premium by £900 for my 18 year old lad I'll sign him up with you immediately.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Got the same problem here (17 and about to take my test). Managed to get 28 days provisional insurance on my car (1.1 2002 clio) for £89 which is pretty good to keep me going until my test, but after that its a nightmare. Looking at £2500-£3k on my own, or about £1000 to go as a second driver on my dads. My mates got a C2, and his was £950 as a second driver.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
most people i know who have renewed recently are finding premiums are on the increase, i'm glad we're getting a new car in dec on motability so i won't have to deal with the money grabbing arseholes again.

what i really do not understand is that, ok SOME youngsters are admittedly high risk - but so are the very old, in fact the very old are probably just as likely (if not more) to have an accident as young drivers but do their premiums increase? no, is that because "i've never had an accident but i've seen loads of them behind me"?????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here