Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teddy Maybank or Gerry Ryan

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Teddy Maybank of course, thought Gerry was a bit average at times, though there were moments, like a mazy dribble vs City.

Not only did Ted score at Luton, he also scored the first vs Blackburn in the must win home game, prior to Newcastle and also our first ever goal in the top flight at Villa Park.

No contest for me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Maybank scored a brace in a (I think) 4-1 win away at Millwall in the late 70's. When he scored the second he ripped his shirt off and posed around flexing his muscles in front of the Cold Blow Lane end. Suffice to say the Millwall cognoscenti at that particular end of the ground were less than impressed with his shenanigans and responded accordingly. He will forever be a minor Albion legend to me as a result.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gerry both on the pitch and off. Great chap, his ex wife was nice as well.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ryan arrived as a winger but also played as a central striker and scored goals in big games - the promotion clincher at Newcastle, FA Cup wins against Liverpool, the length-of-the-field dribble against Man City. Maybank never really justified his fee. No contest whatsoever.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Teddy

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Before my time but my dad would say Ryan all day long. He loved him.
GR: my favourite player "back in the day" - and my kids went to school with his kids too.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I remember Gerry Ryan's debut. Cannot recall who the opponents were but he looked an absolute world beater and the full back he was against was substituted after about 20 minutes.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
No contest really. Gerry Ryan is my all time favourite player. He bought a bottle of champagne into our carriage on the legendary train journey home from Newcastle and chatted with us for quite a while mainly about how he thought that promotion had brought the end of his playing days at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here