Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teddy Maybank or Gerry Ryan

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I know the North Stand allegiance was split back in the 70’s, however on reflection who had the biggest impact?

I mostly remember Maybank’s free kick equaliser at Luton in front of the massed ranks of Albion fans. However, I’d go with Ryan for ending Cloughie’s 59 unbeaten run at home.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
1696324749830.png

1696324812139.png

Cor! That's a tough one.

:jester:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Loved both as players at the time however as for personalities, Maybank’s antics off the pitch carried on well into the 90s. I was a regular at Corals at that time and generally used to avoid him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Loved both as players at the time however as for personalities, Maybank’s antics off the pitch carried on well into the 90s. I was a regular at Corals at that time and generally used to avoid him.
I worked at Corals at that time, and played for the Corals Sunday League side along with Ted (and his brother Martin, Paul Flood, Sammy Nelson, Sammy Donnelly, etc).

Strange chap, tbh.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Impossible to decide without hearing Gerry's version.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely the thread title should be Poskett or Maybank? Teddy was a bit of a joke really, wasn't he? Our big signing, but didn't score many, missed loads of chances and never held down a regular place in the side. Coupled with his 'playboy lifestyle', I think the patience of many fans grew thin quite quickly. I don't think anyone can really say his time at the club was a success.

Gerry was always a fans' favourite from what I can remember - but he was primarily a winger not a striker, so not in direct competition with Teddy.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I remember one time Gerry scored 2 goals and we all started singing Gerry atric Gerry atric those were the days.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Surely the thread title should be Poskett or Maybank? Teddy was a bit of a joke really, wasn't he? Our big signing, but didn't score many, missed loads of chances and never held down a regular place in the side. Coupled with his 'playboy lifestyle', I think the patience of many fans grew thin quite quickly. I don't think anyone can really say his time at the club was a success.

Gerry was always a fans' favourite from what I can remember - but he was primarily a winger not a striker, so not in direct competition with Teddy.
I think you’ll find they were in direct competition, as due to his over inflated price tag, it seemed that Maybank quite often had to be found a place in the team quite often at the expense of Ryan.

As for Malcolm Poskett, perhaps one of the most underrated players ever to wear the stripes. No pace but a true poacher and should have been given more oopportunities.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, having met them both it's Gerry all the way for me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just on field, Ryan, as a person on field and off Maybank

boik

I think you’ll find they were in direct competition, as due to his over inflated price tag, it seemed that Maybank quite often had to be found a place in the team quite often at the expense of Ryan.

As for Malcolm Poskett, perhaps one of the most underrated players ever to wear the stripes. No pace but a true poacher and should have been given more oopportunities.
Still remember Posketts hattrick at a very snowy Valley. Snowball fights were the order of the day.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Gerry Ryan all day long
Teddy got that crucial goal at Luton in front of us but don’t remember much else special tbh

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ryan all day long. By the way, the Poskett comparison should be with Wardie. Only one winner there.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
My memories of Ryan were that he would be playing out of his skin, then gradually tail off to the point he was dropped for a few games. Then he would be picked again and for a few games he would rip defences a new one, then the cycle began again. It was a long time ago and I am getting very old so I am probably misremembering.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know the North Stand allegiance was split back in the 70’s, however on reflection who had the biggest impact?

I mostly remember Maybank’s free kick equaliser at Luton in front of the massed ranks of Albion fans. However, I’d go with Ryan for ending Cloughie’s 59 unbeaten run at home.
And for his goal at Anfield in the cup win.
My memories of Ryan were that he would be playing out of his skin, then gradually tail off to the point he was dropped for a few games. Then he would be picked again and for a few games he would rip defences a new one, then the cycle began again. It was a long time ago and I am getting very old so I am probably misremembering.
You never knew if he was going to turn up in his football boots, or his wellies.

Tillo

Sep 1, 2007
NSW
Ryan was overall more of a legend but the thrill of seeing Maybank score our first ever goal in Division 1 at Villa Park will ensure his semi legendary status for ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here