Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ted Briggs and HMS Hood.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thank you so much for posting that. Just spent last couple of hours transfixed.

All the men involved were just so humble and it just shows that the "ordinary bloke in the street" had respect for each other. Ted Briggs took absolutely no joy in the sinking of the Bismarck after the Hood was avenged.

Agreed. So humble.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
One of my family. Paul, from Brighton,went down with the ship. He was just 18 years old.

Every time I'm in Portsmouth, I take some flowers and a tin of beer to leave by his name at the memorial.

I never knew him of course, but I always leave there with a tear in my eye.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
His name will be on the crew lists on our website.

http://www.hmshood.com/

i opened this thread with interest, due to the fact my Uncle Charlie was on the hood so was great to open the website and there he was. Alfred Charles Russell Bagg. i noted that it states " He was taken off the Hood on sick leave six weeks before the Battle of the Denmark Strait", now the family story told by my mother (his sister) was he was actually given leave to get married and due to the change of tasking of the Hood he was due back on the ship but travel wasn't the easiest during these times but made it up to scapa flow only to see the Hood sailing off in the distance still carrying all his kit and belongings. I don't have any old service records or documents to aid updating much other than the fact he was a gunnery officer.

Good site and interesting to flick through

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of my family. Paul, from Brighton,went down with the ship. He was just 18 years old.

Every time I'm in Portsmouth, I take some flowers and a tin of beer to leave by his name at the memorial.

I never knew him of course, but I always leave there with a tear in my eye.

Have you seen the bell in the dockyard museum? There was an 18 year old from Shoreham lost.
Every May we have a dinner, with over 900 photographs on display, and I always look out for the youngster from Shoreham.

IMGP0004.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here