Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technical advice required to catch stalker

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Sorry to trouble you all again but I have another friend in need, and I'm hoping for some advice of a technical nature.

A friend of mine who we'll call Debbie thinks she is being stalked. The brief version of the situation is as follows:
She has been contacted by e-mail by someone posing as a potential business client. She is still corresponding with that person at this time.

One of Debbie's friends has also received e-mails recently from someone claiming to be Debbie's cousin, and asking for photos of her to use as a surprise for her birthday. Debbie does not have a cousin. They were also fishing for personal info.

She has recently discovered that there are lots of similarities between the two sets of e-mails which lead her to strongly believe it is an ex-boyfriend from 4 years ago who has stalked her in the past.

She has been to the police who are taking it seriously, but all they can do is log it as harrassment. There is no evidence to confirm that it is the ex-boyfriend.

What I want to know is, is there anyway that something hidden can be attached to an e-mail so as it shows the senders IP address when they reply? If so, is there any way that the IP address can then be used to identify the sender.

This is the only possibility I can think of to identify the person, unless anyone knows of any other way.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
arrange a meeting , turn up mob handed & dish out the kicking of his sorry life. . .

apart from that I'm not sure

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
double click on the email to open it, click view, then options and copy the message headers, post it here and ill see what i can get out of it for you, or feel free to pm me the log

ack

Apr 20, 2006
not sure if it helps,but if the ip addy of sender is logged its traceable

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
They might be sending via something else. If you are using Outlook you can set it up so that when it is delevered and / or read it sends a response. This will then be from his actual IP address.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Someone with webhosting and decent logging could create a link for her to put into the email. When he reads the email and follows the link his ip address will be logged. Alternatively an image from the webhosting could be inserted in the email.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
The person suspected of doing this is a bloke with little technical knowledge. He is using Yahoo accounts in both cases and is probably just e-mailing from home.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here