Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teargas Gate 36 hours on

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if fixtures.

I hope everyone involved is okay, it was pretty distressing even for a cynical old git like me to see Albion fans young and old in that situation.

On reflection the thing I’m struggling to get my head round is that clearly this wouldn’t have been the first time the Athens riot Police had let the gas off in the area outside the stadium so therefore someone in authority clearly knew there was a risk that the gas would drift back into the stadium and affect the law abiding Albion fans inside.

And will UEFA make anyone responsible accountable for this decision?

And one final question, with a gate in the Perspex fence, could and should PC Baulkham on witnessing the chaos asked someone on the pitch perimeter to get the gate open to allow the Albion fans to get away from the gas, rather than walking away?

3 showers on, does anyone else still getting a waft of the gas in their nostrils?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies if fixtures.

I hope everyone involved is okay, it was pretty distressing even for a cynical old git like me to see Albion fans young and old in that situation.

On reflection the thing I’m struggling to get my head round is that clearly this wouldn’t have been the first time the Athens riot Police had let the gas off in the area outside the stadium so therefore someone in authority clearly knew there was a risk that the gas would drift back into the stadium and affect the law abiding Albion fans inside.

And one final question, with a gate in the Perspex fence, could and should PC Baulkham on witnessing the chaos asked someone on the pitch perimeter to get the gate open to allow the Albion fans to get away from the gas, rather than walking away?

3 showers on, does anyone else still getting a waft of the gas in their nostrils?
Could definitely still smell it yesterday morning, and also got a bit of stinging in my eyes when I showered (would have probably got a lot more if the particles had any hair to stick to 🤣) but that’s all.

I don’t really blame the police……they had to do something to disperse that lot - we should have been let out of the stand as soon as the contamination became obvious though (the concourse, steps and car park didn’t seem affected). Could also see the cloud of fumes heading our way (think I showed you a pic at the airport yesterday).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
@Lenny Rider have to agree with everything you’ve said.

Really struggled with it to be honest, though not as bad as others.

The positive thing is that at least AEK handed out the water pretty sharpish, and as expected all our fans rallied round to support others….

I understand AEK will be hosting the Europa conference final, hopefully UEFA will review the facilities as well, as the toilet situation was also ridiculous….

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
The taste and change of smell lingered into the next morning for me. It would have been strongest in the lower tier at ground level but thankfully not the full strength of where it was deployed because we had nowhere to go for respite.

Nicks

Apologies if fixtures.

Made me laugh when you asked that bloke who walked up past us with his eyes streaming and nose running for the £30.00 he owed you 😂😂.
As for Darren Balkham who luckily had a call to answer on his mobile when the CS Gas started to take affect and walk away from the Albion fans !!!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The taste and change of smell lingered into the next morning for me. It would have been strongest in the lower tier at ground level but thankfully not the full strength of where it was deployed because we had nowhere to go for respite.
Same here.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
@Lenny Rider

thanks for the care and concern you showed for my family.

The most concerned and helpful people on the night were the stadium kiosk staff who despite suffering themselves were trying to help fans. I know that two stadium medics did a great job helping those injured by flying full bottles. I have read someone praising Darren Balkham for care they received but I didnt see that situation.

We struggled badly yesterday especially when the cold air hit getting the plane. My son had football training this morning and was breathless. We all have a burnt tongue feeling and still feels like pepper in the nostrils.

Hope you are ok and the rooftop dj improved your night

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Grrrrrrr, I've been trying and thought I was failing to get Jnr to look beyond the end of his nose, when it comes to passing forward random acts of kindness.

We both were affected, nothing that wouldn't pass, so I grabbed us a bottle of water on the way out.
Handed it across to him as we filed out.

As we got back together I croaked:-
"Can I have some water".
"No I gave it to the woman next to me, but I've still got the Doritos".

Proud of the boy but FFS -

1) choose your moments.
&
B - Doritos aren't the cure all you think they are.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Given Mr Balkham is our designated intermediary with the local authorities on safe transport, alongside club employees no doubt, are we able to ask for better?..

Marseille - The bus return debacle - no clear communication about what was going on pre or post match with when buses would be moving- crushing in gangways etc

Amsterdam - loss of several flags in Ajax’s custody despite (denied entry for fire safety etc) assurances made from Mr Balkham that flags would be returned… they were not.. at cost to their owners

Athens - A) the absence of any security on the home side of the perspex for starters.. B) the bungled travel advice (no issues on metro or taxi in)
C) the teargas - as @dazzer6666 says you could see that cloud approaching and that it would be an issue but we were allowed to inhale it before any action taken - hopefully no serious issues healthwise - and why were the lower tier not let out prior if the concentration there was worse than upper tier..?!

If there isnt going to be any meaningful dialogue between local authorities and our security/police reps, nor clear and accurate communication onwards to fans - then is it worth them being here??

Rant over..!

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Milk of magnesia or anything alkaline helps I'm told from ex forces, might be worth taking if we go into another warzone-esque fixture next year

Or a full on f***ing gas mask

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think most British clubs fans that have been following them away in Europe for decades are probably laughing at our naivety at the moment. As for the idea that UEFA might step in and do something…

Have to say it’s mildly amusing watching the people who would always bleat ‘you will never find trouble if you don’t go looking for it’ and who would automatically blame English fans abroad any time there are issues, while never having been abroad for football before themselves, now finding out that actually it’s a bit different over there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think most British clubs fans that have been following them away in Europe for decades are probably laughing at our naivety at the moment. As for the idea that UEFA might step in and do something…

Have to say it’s mildly amusing watching the people who would always bleat ‘you will never find trouble if you don’t go looking for it’ and who would automatically blame English fans abroad any time there are issues, while never having been abroad for football before themselves, now finding out that actually it’s a bit different over there.
You're probably right and maybe we got lucky, because our two trips (Dam and Athens) were amazing with every local we met being happy, open and incredibly welcoming.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I can still taste it today but it’s starting to fade.

It’s f***ing PATHETIC that UEFA just shrug this off as ‘local culture’. AEK can’t control their fans, it is THAT SIMPLE. We all know that we would be kicked out of Europe in a heartbeat if it happened here.
I would actually like BHA to make a bit more of a fuss than they appear to be doing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Although there were a few individuals who were goading their fans and contributed to an increase in things being thrown. And the usual people nowhere near who come along when its calming down and fan the flames again. These 3 european away games jave seen some stupid behaviour from a small minority which have caused issues for others.
One guy who had been pushing and shoving coming out of ajax (including an elderly man who was unsteady on his feet) and who then tried to fight other albion fans was in the midst again on Thursday pushing his way to the lower fence and goading the home fans. He was very distinctive and loads of people we met after the game all independently commented on him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Although there were a few individuals who were goading their fans and contributed to an increase in things being thrown. And the usual people nowhere near who come along when its calming down and fan the flames again. These 3 european away games jave seen some stupid behaviour from a small minority which have caused issues for others.
One guy who had been pushing and shoving coming out of ajax (including an elderly man who was unsteady on his feet) and who then tried to fight other albion fans was in the midst again on Thursday pushing his way to the lower fence and goading the home fans. He was very distinctive and loads of people we met after the game all independently commented on him.
The few AEK at the perspex afterwards would likely have very quickly given up if our handful of goons had ignored them (doesn’t excuse their pathetic stewarding in allowing them to stay there for so long trying to take a swing and throw a few bottles - main point of keeping us behind is so the home lot can be cleared out and dispersed, so just get on with it ffs). Interesting to see if the wider issues mean the club won’t take any action against them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here