Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Teams that look better than England.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Despite the result against Italy, I genuinely think England have been one of the best teams I've seen in the tournament so far. Perhaps only Holland and Germany have been considerably better in their opening matches.

Saturday night was the best I've seen England play in a tournament since 2004, and we only lost because we are a little inexperienced and naïve. In two years we are going to have one hell of a team.

You are, of course, correct. But some still think that slating your country and making antagonistic threads like this is cool...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The England vs Italy was a very entertaining game unlike some of the dross Ive been watching. If we play like that in the next couple of games I think we will qualify.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You are, of course, correct. But some still think that slating your country and making antagonistic threads like this is cool...

This.

Can we stop putting our national team down, get behind them 100%. If we do go out then we can have the analysis then but until that point cheer the boys on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There a lot of people making huge inferences from single games on this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's the only game we can take inferences from unless you want us to judge England on friendlies or results 2 years ago.

I obviously understand this. My point being is the validity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But not as good football as some teams... which was the purpose of the thread...

I can't see the point of the thread. Why not a thread full of the much larger number of WC teams we DO look better than? I can't see the point in being negative after such an encouraging performance. If we'd lost to Costa Rica fair enough, but we didn't.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Many teams haven't got out of first gear (Spain, Argentina, etc) yet we have played almost to our maximum already (and lost).

Can see us beating uruguay and costa rica though.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I actually think that was the best performance of an England side in a tournament for about 10 years, since we beat Croatia 4-2 in 2004 in fact.
Lots of reasons to be optimistic.
I can't help wonder what this group could achieve with a Rodgers or Martinez type in charge though, I don't think this style comes easily to Hodgson and it shows, fair play to him though he's doing it.

How does this style compare with his Fulham side that got to the Europa CUp Final? From what I remember they were pretty fluent and fluid.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I actually think that was the best performance of an England side in a tournament for about 10 years, since we beat Croatia 4-2 in 2004 in fact.
Lots of reasons to be optimistic.
I can't help wonder what this group could achieve with a Rodgers or Martinez type in charge though, I don't think this style comes easily to Hodgson and it shows, fair play to him though he's doing it.

Yes I could pretty well agree with that.
On Hodgson, whose appointment disappointed me. I put my hands up, top man. He's got more guts than several previous national managers. Good he has seen the demise of Tika Taka in time for us to play all out attacking footy.
Watching Capello and Russia last evening and the their expected exhibition of sideways soccer....I'm relieved and think England LOOK good.... though Rooney's not exactly George Clooney. :smile:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Italy
Netherlands
France
Germany
Belgium

I actually think we could see an all European Semi final, assuming the last 16 groupings allow it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Italy
Holland
France
Germany
Argentina
Agree, with the exception of Argentina. I'd probably replace them with France, who looked very good against that thuggish Honduras side.

Spain, Chile, Ivory Coast and Colombia have all looked quality for 45 minutes or so.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Hurricanes. Always lost their first game, but unbeatable over two legs:

Hurricanes.png
519kq26fovl-_ss500_.jpg

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Agree, with the exception of Argentina. I'd probably replace them with France, who looked very good against that thuggish Honduras side.

Spain, Chile, Ivory Coast and Colombia have all looked quality for 45 minutes or so.

So you think France are twice as good as England then? :O

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here