Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams Coming Down

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Villa are TERRIBLE, they'll be lucky not to go straight down to League One.

Yep. I reckon they could be the next Man City/Leeds style big club to go down to the third division.

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
I still think whatever their situation right now that any three of either, Villa, Norwich, Newcastle, or Sunderland, are all big clubs in their own right, with all, apart from Villa (who I believe would be leaving the Prem for the first time since it was created). Have a habit in the past of not hanging around for too long back in The Championship before they get promoted again back into the Prem. That is my point ?. Hopefully it won't matter to us anyway.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Could you imagine what the sense of mourning would be like in the north east if both Sunderland and Newcastle were relegated.

Especially if 1 or both of Hull and Boro were promoted at the same time!

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I think of the 2 North East teams it will be Newcastle coming down. Big Sam has the know how to keep Blunderland up, McClown doesn't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We have this thread every single year. Very very rare that more than one of the relegated teams go straight back up!

I agree and every year, someone posts that we've got to try to get promoted this season, because next year will be much harder. With the exception of last year, we've been in the mix since we got promoted from League 1.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
If we weren't to go up, and looking at the sides most likely to come down/go up, I don't think the championship would be any harder next season. Especially if we add some quality additions similar to those Hughton has already made. Just my opinion though.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Villa are in a world of trouble
Norwich would probably go again with their same squad and will be decent if nothing spectacular.
The two north east clubs would probably fly up, we've seen Newcastle and Sunderland both dominate this division in the past.

Personally think it'd be most interesting if Swansea came down, they're a club who've enjoyed nothing but constant success for a long time now, we'd have to see how they react to a hit like relegation from the PL.

Bournemouth look fairly safe now then? Can't have them above Brighton for too much longer can we?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Villa are already looking like a team that would struggle in the championship. Randy Lerner = villa legend.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Newcastle all challenging for promotion next season. We don't want three visits up to the near Arctic Viking lands.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
English european cup winners:

Liverpool x 5
Manchester United x 3
Nottingham Forest x 1
Aston Villa x 1
Chelsea x1

There's a chance that not one of them will be in the champions league next year, and two in the 2nd division.

(But Man City are doing all they can to balls up my stat)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Liverpool x 5
Manchester United x 3
Nottingham Forest x 1
Aston Villa x 1
Chelsea x1

There's a chance that not one of them will be in the champions league next year, and two in the 2nd division.

Forest twice

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, the old "next season its going to be much harder" myth rears its head again. Its always been bobbins.

HOWEVER

Given that next season will be the first one when the PL clubs will have their snouts buried deep into that new £8.3bn TV deal, this time next year it really COULD be much harder to compete the following season with the clubs that come down. PL clubs next season will receive on average about £120m each. The winners will get £150m, the bottom club will come down with around £100m (plus parachute payments to add).

Of course the flipside is you might have an Oyston or a Lerner in charge, who will just trouser it. Or a Disney Prince, who will cut a deal with some clueless yanks and then scarper off sharpish. Those type of clubs might still struggle.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Liverpool x 5
Manchester United x 3
Nottingham Forest x 1
Aston Villa x 1
Chelsea x1

You've missed off Leeds.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We have never ever finished higher up the League than Villa, a record I would hope we would beat.

Halifax Town have finished higher than them in 1970-71.

What other clubs have always finished higher than us?

Guessing: Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs*. (* ahead of Spurs in the Southern League 1906-7). Have I missed any?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=1

Villa are down. Norwich look to me in very serious trouble and will need something special to escape. Special like beating both Sunderland and Newcastle at home and Watford as well. And even then they might need points at Palace and WBA. A tall order.

That leaves Sunderland and Newcastle to be the rivals for the last place. They play each other at St. James Park. It looks like this game could make the difference.

Swansea, Palace and Bournemouth, especially Bournemouth could be drawn back into the struggle. Newcastle would do their cause a hell of a lot of good if they win that game. Bournemouth could then very easily slip up.

Sunderland might have to win three away games to escape, away at Newcastle, away at Stoke (might get away with a draw, can't lose) and away to Norwich.

39 pts should be safe. Watford and WBA are virtually safe already.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here