Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team vs Barnsley

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How near is Rossenior to being ready having played 90 mins for U23s Monday, If ready I would consider him at right midfield and play with March or Murphy wide left witrh AK to come on late and turn them over.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Similar but I'd try Murphy and Sidwell in centre MF. Perhaps it's not time for experimenting but for me the lack of pace and ambition in centre MF is our biggest problem. Stephens is too sideways/backwards for me and a midfield including Knockaert, Murphy and March would have speed and guile.

Have you seen the difference in the stats between the games where Stephens plays and when he doesn't?

(From the Argus prior to the Burton game)
The Argus revealed last week that 14 matches had been won in the Championship this season and three drawn with Stephens in the starting line-up.

The Seagulls have, by contrast, won four, drawn five and lost three without the central midfielder.

We won and drew our last 2 matches, (which still needs to be added to the totals for Stephens above) it's not like we are getting heavily beat so why all the panic and the need to make a number of changes (especially calls to drop players who have been playing well)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stockdale

Tomiri
Dunk
Duffy
Pocognoli

Knockaert
Sidwell
Stephens
March

Murray
Baldock

Subs: Walton, Bruno, Kayal, Murphy, Skalak, Akpom, Hemed

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Have you seen the difference in the stats between the games where Stephens plays and when he doesn't?

We won and drew our last 2 matches, (which still needs to be added to the totals for Stephens above) it's not like we are getting heavily beat so why all the panic and the need to make a number of changes (especially calls to drop players who have been playing well)

A fair point and you have the stats - which I'd seen - on your side. I suppose Stephens is a player you either get or you don't. Just lately I haven't been getting him. To me he just seemed to be dispossessed too often last night, usually when dallying on the ball having not seen an outlet up the pitch.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Kayal & Stevens were awesome together last season.
But, they've looked far from it this time round.

BG raised a good point - Rosenior must be close to a first team recall - expect to see him on the bench for Saturday.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Stockdale

Dunk
Duffy
Pocoyo

Knocky
Skalak
Sidwell
March

Hemed
Murray
Baldrick

Walton
Bruno
Rosenior
Murphy
Akpom
Kayal
Stephens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Granted he hasnt had much game time but have not been impressed with Akpom looks like another poor signing in the Obika, Best Manu mold but in fairness it is still early days, so must just hope he is able to prove himself capable.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I wonder how Sidwell's fitness is going to hold up til the end of the season? Hasn't played this many matches in a season since 13/14, so need to give Kayal minutes on pitch to get him back to his best.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Explain formation please. 2 cb, 1 lb, 1cm, 3 wingers, 3 strikers?

If you can't work it out,neither can the opposition!just a bit of fun-Chris picks the team.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
------------------- Stockdale --------------------
Bruno --- Duffy ------- Dunk ---- Pocognolli
Knockeart --- Stephens -- Kayal ---- March
------------- Murray ------- Baldock ------------

Is our strongest starting XI and I expect to see it at Barnsley.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Stockdale

Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Pocognoli

March
Sidwell
Stephens
Murphy

Murray
Hemed

Subs??
Akpom
Baldock
Knockaert
Tomori
Kayal

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
------------------- Stockdale --------------------
Bruno --- Duffy ------- Dunk ---- Pocognolli
Knockeart --- Stephens -- Kayal ---- March
------------- Murray ------- Baldock ------------

Is our strongest starting XI and I expect to see it at Barnsley.

That's probably what I'd see, if our usual formation is going to be used. I suspect we'll see Hemed again though, and probably Sidwell. Sidwell, I've less issue with considering recent form, but we need the class Murray brings at the moment.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
IMO people need to get over Kayal atm. Sidwell & Stephens is currently our best and No.1 midfield partnership.

On form maybe.

Kayal is a unique midfielder because he makes runs and helps create through the middle, something we have so rarely done this year.

Stephens and Sidwell are solid but are very similar in what they provide. Norwood is suited more to a 3 in midfield so he can spray passes around but has worked well with Stephens in a 442 this year.

I honestly felt last night was a perfect match for Kayal, not only suited to the game but also an opportunity to up match fitness.

This has been the biggest problem for Chris this year as we don't have consistency in CM like we did last year. I think he made an error last night and an error playing Kayal and Norwood together in a 442 up in Huddersfield and at home to Brentford. Then again, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, perhaps Kayal is struggling in his recovery, not fit enough and/or not showing enough commitment who knows.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I would change formation for the away game as we've been conceding too easily.
I would play Sidwell, Kayal, Stephens with Murray upfront by himself.

We could always bring on another forward if we need to later on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here