Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team V Palace

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Which makes him the luckiest man in the Premier League (except perhaps Bong, a man truly blessed by an angel to making his living from training with us day to day). He's in the team because we started the season with one left back, who has been injured. He's done better than anyone would expect, but he's inferior to Bernardo and all of our centre backs. He'll drop out of the team when Bernardo is fully fit and ready to step back in. Even if March had been fit, Burn might have dropped out by now. I'm not having a go at him, he's done well for us and he's a much more useful player than I realised when we bought him. But I'm realistic to his limitations.

Lucky, yes in so far as he has been given an opportunity that he would probably never have expected. I’m sure if you had told him a couple of years ago as a lower Champ CB, that he would be playing LB or LWB in a Mid Premier team he would have raised an eyebrow.

But no luck at all in the way he has taken his opportunity. And instead of labelling him the luckiest player in the Premier League, I’m expressing admiration for his willingness to improve, adapt his game, learn and prove people wrong.

Bernardo may get back in tonight or in the coming weeks, but it’s far from certain and he must know he’ll have to play very well to keep the spot.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Paul Watson

A good example of one, but I’m struggling to think of loads of others. Watto got away with it because he had the technique of a player two divisions higher, (though the pace of a player two divisions lower).

I think having a right sided RB and vice versa is declining in importance though and I think we’ll start to see inverted full backs more. I mean, 20 years ago a full backs two main jobs were to put in sliding challenges on a winger going round him on the outside and humping it 60 yards up the line, both of which you need to be doing with your strongest foot.

I think these days as long as a full back is competent with the weaker foot, I wouldn’t see it as an issue. And I’m pretty sure I read Bernardo has played RB before.

It could be an option, but under GP, so could a lot of things.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to play a left back at right back in place of Montoya who has been solid and consistent for us all season. If we sign someone better than him to replace him, ok - but playing Bernardo out of position to accomodate keeping Burn in the side is ridiculous and won't happen.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't usually get involved in these threads as it's guesswork but NEVER been more sure of a team than tonight (on the whole). We should go:

Ryan

Bernardo (Did great against the **** last year)
Dunk
Duffy
Montoya

Propper
Alzate
Mooy
Trossard / Gross

Connolly (if fit - if not Tross)
Maupay

Get at them with pace up top like Arsenal...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have only one prediction.

Glenn Murray to start.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Think I'll try this (Potterifficly speaking)

Ryan
Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Webster
Trossard
Alzate
Propper
Mooy
Gross
Maupay

Subs Button Burn Murray Schelotto Jahankbash Bernardo Connolly

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Zaha so often difference between Palace winning and losing. Montoya back because always done decent job against him.and just fear he may swop wings and take on Burn if he plays

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The notion of an inverted full back is plain wrong. Which might just be why it's rarely, if ever, put into practice.

Usually, I would 100% agree with you (Watson just confirms it), but special hAhA counter measures envisaged.

The idea is to discourage hAhA from cutting inside and shooting with his right foot, shepherding him wide and away from goal and on to his left foot.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Damn I'm gonna miss the game tonight... need to attend a surprise birthday party...

Dunno if I posted it before but this is the lineup I believe will start today: Ryan - Dunk, Duffy, Webster - Burn, Alzate, Mooy, Pröpper, Montoya - Connolly, Maupay. Trossard or Gross if Connolly isnt fit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What's the logic behind playing three centre backs against a team who often don't even have a recognised striker? Are we assuming the game is only going to be about set-pieces? Surely Burn, Webster and Dunk are enough to deal with the Palace "threat"?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Damn I'm gonna miss the game tonight... need to attend a surprise birthday party...

Dunno if I posted it before but this is the lineup I believe will start today: Ryan - Dunk, Duffy, Webster - Burn, Alzate, Mooy, Pröpper, Montoya - Connolly, Maupay. Trossard or Gross if Connolly isnt fit.

The best method stopping hAhA is to stop the supply to him. One way to do this to favour playing out from the back on the left side which favours Bernardo as a left sided defensive midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. In short, I envisage Bernardo in the starting XI if he is match fit?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What's the logic behind playing three centre backs against a team who often don't even have a recognised striker? Are we assuming the game is only going to be about set-pieces? Surely Burn, Webster and Dunk are enough to deal with the Palace "threat"?

Suggested teams; https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...mier-League-2019-2020-Crystal-Palace-Brighton

Predicted Palace XI: Guaita; Kelly, Tomkins, Cahill, Riedewald; McArthur, Milivojevic, Kouyate; Townsend, Ayew, Zaha.
Read more at https://www.squawka.com/en/predicti...ns-preview-premier-league#83t42Ut7E4XW3wmx.99

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The best method stopping hAhA is to stop the supply to him. One way to do this to favour playing out from the back on the left side which favours Bernardo as a left sided defensive midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. In short, I envisage Bernardo in the starting XI if he is match fit?

I think if Bernardo had played more minutes that would be a great shout but can’t see him being thrown into starting in a game like this. One of the surprises this season the lack of opportunity he has had

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here