Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team selection today - Humble Pie

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A big shout out to Crawley who did us a massive favour by spanking them last week. Leeds were subdued and out of sorts today.

Bielsa has taken a right Sussex Spitroasting!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Fair enough! I didn’t think the worst either, my words were “I’ll judge how effective the lineup was at full time”. I completely supported the manager, but I was shocked to see Bissouma left out.

You honestly weren’t surprised to see Biss not start?

I'm never surprised with Potters picks these days! He seems to pick horses for courses. It was about discipline today, and love Biss as i do, he can lose himself at times, but he was the perfect player to bring on to see it home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still think not starting Biss was madness - would have played Tau too - but I wasn’t impressed and happy to eat large humble pie and hold my hands up. Been on the fence and frustrated with Potter since Wolves half time but the reaction since then has been pleasing. Long way to go.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
We got the result, but it’s not to say we were stronger for not starting biss.
I thought we looked instantly more solid when he came on.
If he was tired or injured then fine, but imho there can never be tactical justification for not playing him.
He’s our best player and, if fit, should start every game

We needed to be
Glad he came on but not for Mac
I would have left him on and bought someone else off
Seemed to come under a lot of pressure after that change

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I picked 9 from 11 as Potter picked Burn and Gross instead of Bissouma and Tau. In Potterworld I would say that's a good shout. I have no idea what goes on in training or their individual recovery times or all the other stuff that Potter knows. A fan team selection is just a bit of fun based on hunches and hopes. Nothing to crow about when right or eat humble pie when wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No humble pie for me. I didn't like the look of that line up when the teams were announced, and looking at it now I still shake my head sadly and think, 'Oh lord, no'. We won though, so well done to all.

But just think how many we'd have thrashed them by if the team had looked more like one that I'd have selected ..................................

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Delighted with much needed win. Thought it was deserved and for such an attacking side restricted them to very few chances. However feel no need for any humble pie. I stand by my opinion on selections that Out of our 5 CBs in a back 3, Burn would be my last choice especially on left. Go as far as saying seems to be selected as an out ball for Sanchez long kicks, Bissouma in the form he is, a better option in midfield then White or Gross.
That doesnt take anything away from Burns or Whites performance today. Burn did seem to get a lot of help today and fortunately didnt find himself in one to one situations

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don’t mind admitting I was disappointed.

Still think Bissouma should have started, the result doesn’t change that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a grip, you support a lower PL team :rolleyes:

Enjoy the well earned points!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This, think we would've looked much better if he'd started.

We scraped a one-nil against a very poor team today, I don't think that earns Graham a tactical genius award. If we'd battered them fair enough but we didn't.

Disagree. Yes, Leeds were poor, but I thought we were very solid against them. I certainly don't think we "scraped" it, or that it was a "win ugly" performance. The defence were excellent and supremely well organised. Sanchez was so well protected and barely had a save to make against the team who are second in the PL in terms of the number of shots on goal they've had this season. You think Leeds looked crap: do you not think we had something to do with that? This is a team who have outplayed some of the top sides and won plaudits from every tedious pundit in the business for their "attacking style". We restricted them to a few half arsed efforts, and not by parking the bus either.

I was somewhat surprised by the line-up before the game, but there was a very clear change to the usual tactical plan on view, which can only have been instigated by Potter:
-goal kicks were going medium to long, and Burn was notably being pushed forward to win those balls
-Mac Allister was playing an advanced role in the very large hole between Leeds' midfield and their defence, and running at them (we have been so bad at running at teams recently)
-we binned off the annoyingly unsuccessful short corner routine in favour of balls into the six yard box against a team with an even worse record than us at defending set pieces
-Gross was both solid and creative in the central midfield role that I'm sure most of us would have picked Bissouma for

Somehow, Potter the amateur has completely out-thought the Greatest Manager The World Has Ever Seen.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
To be fair I was thinking the worse when I saw our starting 11 today - but fair play to Potter - He got it spot on today - outwitting the best manager the world has ever seen !

Anybody else snacking on the humble pie ?

Had 3, all with whipped cream too so I’m feeling stuffed.

The performances of the last 3 games have shown me,

1) players are still playing for Potter
2) Potter has clearly gone back to basics in training. We look different without losing some of that lovey expansive football
3) Potter has dressed up smartly for 3 games and our performances have definitely improved upon it. Therefore, Potter must wear that gorgeous coat every game. Heat wave or downpour. And if anyone knows the brand, let us know. I want one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disagree. Yes, Leeds were poor, but I thought we were very solid against them. I certainly don't think we "scraped" it, or that it was a "win ugly" performance. The defence were excellent and supremely well organised. Sanchez was so well protected and barely had a save to make against the team who are second in the PL in terms of the number of shots on goal they've had this season. You think Leeds looked crap: do you not think we had something to do with that? This is a team who have outplayed some of the top sides and won plaudits from every tedious pundit in the business for their "attacking style". We restricted them to a few half arsed efforts, and not by parking the bus either.

I was somewhat surprised by the line-up before the game, but there was a very clear change to the usual tactical plan on view, which can only have been instigated by Potter:
-goal kicks were going medium to long, and Burn was notably being pushed forward to win those balls
-Mac Allister was playing an advanced role in the very large hole between Leeds' midfield and their defence, and running at them (we have been so bad at running at teams recently)
-we binned off the annoyingly unsuccessful short corner routine in favour of balls into the six yard box against a team with an even worse record than us at defending set pieces
-Gross was both solid and creative in the central midfield role that I'm sure most of us would have picked Bissouma for

Somehow, Potter the amateur has completely out-thought the Greatest Manager The World Has Ever Seen.

Great post. Groß was surely preferred over Biss due mostly to his ability to deliver a set piece kick. Didn’t ultimately pay off but made sense against a team that are known to be vulnerable against a decent ball into the box.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had 3, all with whipped cream too so I’m feeling stuffed.

The performances of the last 3 games have shown me,

1) players are still playing for Potter
2) Potter has clearly gone back to basics in training. We look different without losing some of that lovey expansive football
3) Potter has dressed up smartly for 3 games and our performances have definitely improved upon it. Therefore, Potter must wear that gorgeous coat every game. Heat wave or downpour. And if anyone knows the brand, let us know. I want one.

Good point re the coat. Coat-tastic. Barber will have them in the club shop in no time [emoji23][emoji23]

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yeah, had a spoonful earlier (didn't taste too bad, either) :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep. Couldn’t believe we weren’t starting Bissouma.

I still don’t quite get how he did it, but he set up perfectly to nullify Leeds’ game.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yep. Couldn’t believe we weren’t starting Bissouma.

I still don’t quite get how he did it, but he set up perfectly to nullify Leeds’ game.

Exactly- Potters selection worked - he out thought Bielsa - the selection, the tactics smothered The Leeds BielsaBall way - 10 out of 10 to Potter and 10 out of 10 for every player out there today who followed his instructions!

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
All the above , i thought he`d got it wrong , guess what he didn`t ! .
So either i feel bad for criticizing his team choice , or he did he`s job right , for bloody once .

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
But just think how many we'd have thrashed them by if the team had looked more like one that I'd have selected ..................................
PM me and I'll give you GP's number. I'm sure he will be most appreciative.:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I picked 9 from 11 as Potter picked Burn and Gross instead of Bissouma and Tau. In Potterworld I would say that's a good shout. I have no idea what goes on in training or their individual recovery times or all the other stuff that Potter knows. A fan team selection is just a bit of fun based on hunches and hopes. Nothing to crow about when right or eat humble pie when wrong.

It's not that though is it?
It's the official match thread from 2pm.

Just wave after wave of negative bile, there's even surprise at rotation.
Calling out Potter dismissing the players.

That's all very different to us plucking a team selection out of the bingo drum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here