Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A few highlights from the home games so far:

Venegas scoring from distance, Tchoupe's diving header, Taka's backheel set up to Ibarra, Amani's tight angle shot and backflips (it's all fun and games until someone lands on their neck Amani) and some atmospheric montage shots for who knows why.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see they beat Real Salt Lake away, in the US Open Cup last night (their equivalent of the FA Cup).

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm still reeling from last night.

Originally the Real Salt Lake (current MLS league leaders) game was supposed to be here. But somehow teams can switch venues for a game if one team coughs up enough money. We - being ownerless and cash strapped - took their money to take on the burden of travelling to Salt Lake. They wanted to secure the home advantage, go easy on their players and make sure they made it through to the next round. It wasn't a popular decision; it looked like the team management had sold away the fans chance to see an MLS team in our wee stadium. Plus, we thought we'd have an uphill battle in an unfriendly stadium

So in short, the team was given a wad of cash to go to Salt Lake and humiliate the MLS league leaders 3-1 in front of 17,000 of their fans. Our team captain had started tweeting #taketheirmoneyandrun before the game.

We did.

Scorers were: Venegas in the 4th minute,Hlavaty with a PK just before the half and Simone Bracalello finished it up. GK Van Oekel had some heroics. As soon as there is a highlight reel, I'll post it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just had Aaron Fredrickson (big MN Stars fan) add the last 2 seasons shirts, here's the back of the away shirt, with the numbers embedded with photos of their fans.

football_shirt_29954_2_376x450x0.jpg

(I think there is a larger image available to view at a website showing old football shirts)

Their fans call themselves "The Dark Clouds", motto, "Everywhere we go... Dark Clouds follow". I guess this might be poignent due to the current situaton with the 'new' NY Cosmos, see this quote from Aaron:

"The Stars are league owned right now. We were promised three years of league ownership by the NASL, but with the NY Cosmos joining the NASL in 2013, it looks like they may go back on their word and cut the team off. There was some hope that the Minnesota Vikings (American football) would be interested in buying the team and trying to take them to MLS. However, that chance is very slim. The NASL has a $20 million ownership (net wealth) requirement for team owners. Hopefully the team will be around as they are getting more butts in the seats this year."

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
18 miles north of Minneapolis though. Why it would be like having a stadium in Upper Beeding or something. You couldn't imagine that being considered here.

Its USA 18miles by car is like going from Old Steine to Withers !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
MN Stars won their 2 leg play-off semi final last night against San Antonio Scorpions, now to the final of the NASL PlayOffs with Tampa Bay Rowdies, first leg next Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here