Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Great to see the new season underway. Its a crying shame that winnign a title doesnt allow you to take on the big boys but I suppose it might be a good thing until the owner issue is sorted out. Please keep putting on the videos and good luck for the rest of the season. Nothing less than another title will do :)

G

codemanh

May 8, 2012
Minnesota
Hey guys, thought I'd give you all an update. The stars won 2-0 this week at home against the Atlanta Silverbacks to move up to 2nd place in the standings! We're undefeated so far, improving to a record of 2-3-0. It was interesting game to say the least. Our captain Kyle Altman was out injured so Connor Tobin got the start, however he too got injured and was forced off in the 21' and on came Ernest Tchoupe with his first playing time of the year. Then just 2 minutes later the unthinkable happened and Ernest scored a diving header off of a corner, which is amazing as he's a center back. In the 77th minute Ibarra scored off of a backheel pass from Kentaro Takada. The Silverbacks also finished the game with 9 men after one player took 2 yellows and another got a straight red for a really dirty 2 footed tackle which led to a little scuffle on the pitch. Vanoekel also had a wonderful game, coming up big a couple of times. Cristiano was also named NASL defensive player of the week!

Here's the highlights video for those of you interested!... Supposedly I can't post links because I don't have 25 posts, but if you guys are interested, go to mnstarsfc.com and under multimedia click youtube and it should be the top video!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hey guys, thought I'd give you all an update. The stars won 2-0 this week at home against the Atlanta Silverbacks to move up to 2nd place in the standings! We're undefeated so far, improving to a record of 2-3-0. It was interesting game to say the least. Our captain Kyle Altman was out injured so Connor Tobin got the start, however he too got injured and was forced off in the 21' and on came Ernest Tchoupe with his first playing time of the year. Then just 2 minutes later the unthinkable happened and Ernest scored a diving header off of a corner, which is amazing as he's a center back. In the 77th minute Ibarra scored off of a backheel pass from Kentaro Takada. The Silverbacks also finished the game with 9 men after one player took 2 yellows and another got a straight red for a really dirty 2 footed tackle which led to a little scuffle on the pitch. Vanoekel also had a wonderful game, coming up big a couple of times. Cristiano was also named NASL defensive player of the week!

Here's the highlights video for those of you interested!... Supposedly I can't post links because I don't have 25 posts, but if you guys are interested, go to mnstarsfc.com and under multimedia click youtube and it should be the top video!

I was reading yesterday that Minnesota approved a new stadium and included in the terms is the proviso that the Vikings owners get five years rent free if they can attract a MLS team to the stadium.

How does that affect the future of NSC? Could you move to MLS any time soon?

codemanh

May 8, 2012
Minnesota
I was reading yesterday that Minnesota approved a new stadium and included in the terms is the proviso that the Vikings owners get five years rent free if they can attract a MLS team to the stadium.

How does that affect the future of NSC? Could you move to MLS any time soon?

We hope, although the MLS part has been removed from the bill as of now. The bill is still going through final negotiations, so we are still rallying and trying to get that back in to the bill. Also, if we were to get an MLS team, the owner is going to have to be Vikings owner Zygi WIlf, because there's no way that MLS will allow another team to have to pay rent in an NFL stadium.

Also, our politicians are so dumb it's unbelievable. In the committee session where they were debating the bill, the representative representing the district that covers Blaine (the city where the Stars play) was suggesting that maybe the owners of the semi pro team would want to bring in a MLS team... WE HAVE NO OWNER! Way to know what's going on in your district, senator. Shows how much some people care about football.

Edit: I lied, the MLS section of the bill was passed again early this morning. I don't know what this means yet, because the stadium is most likely another 4-5 years out as this thing is huge. We'll wait and see, for now I'm a Stars fan.

Last edited:

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
We beat Fort Lauderdale last night (first time beating them at their home) to close the gap on league leaders Puerto Rico. We remain undefeated!

Worthy of note was Kevin Venegas' first goal as a pro which he racked up against Carolina last Saturday as we beat them 2-1:

So on Tuesday we travel to Des Moines to watch the Stars in the US Open Cup. If we win in Des Moines, we move on to the next round and get to host current MLS leaders Real Salt Lake. Then the team goes back down to Florida for a game two days after that. A pretty grueling schedule with a lot of travel time logged.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How does that away (road) jersey look, with the clever numbers on the back? Is it decent, or a bit naff? The pictures on the website don't really show it very clearly.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
How does that away (road) jersey look, with the clever numbers on the back? Is it decent, or a bit naff? The pictures on the website don't really show it very clearly.

It looks good, we've had a lot of compliments on it: the commentators at last nights game in Ft Lauderdale were raving about it. From a distance, the numbers seem a bit speckled, but they are definitely legible.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Can I adopt a player? Who is there to choose from now?

This is AMAZING!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
It looks good, we've had a lot of compliments on it: the commentators at last nights game in Ft Lauderdale were raving about it. From a distance, the numbers seem a bit speckled, but they are definitely legible.

Think I might need to get one, what's the name of the number 23 player?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
23 is Miguel Ibarra - a wee fella, but one of the stand-outs this year. He nabbed the second goal last night.

Seems like a good choice then, sadly the online store doesn't seem to offer shipping to the UK, might need to give them a call.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Okay, my completely biased an unofficial run down of this years UNDEFEATED Minnesota Stars... other Dark Clouds may disagree with me on various points, but here is my assessment, albeit influenced by the free beer we hand out before the game.

Our starters recently have been:
GK: Van Oekel
D: Davis, Tchoupe (in for injured Altman), Dias, Kallman
M: Venegas, Hlavaty, Takada, Ibarra
F: Walker, Nunez

Mitch Hildebrandt GK 1: Haven't had a chance to see him in action beyond warm ups.

Justin Davis D 2: Appeared on billboards and advertising for the new season, just kind of glowering at the viewer. Plays forward quite a bit as he is used to bring the ball forward. Scored this 90th minute game saver against Atlanta (@2.13); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eco34pgIPVs&feature=player_embedded#t=133s

Cristiano Dias D 3: I'm a big fan of the tall brazilian, he does some of the cleanest hard tackling and clears aerial threats well. He was around last year, but I think he is markedly improved this year.

Neil Hlavaty M 4: A stalwart. Our designated penalty taker, he does a great little Barney rubble run up before hitting the ball. Dangerous from set pieces, the rest of the time he tends to have his tongue hanging out of his mouth and pulling some pretty great facial expressions.

Edi Buro D, M 5: No clue. Haven't seen this guy at all. He is Bosnian and tall... maybe we'll see more of him later.

Kevin Friedland D 6: It was Kevin's idea to put the fan faces in the numbers on the away kit I think. he did a phenomenal job. Kevin seems to be transitioning to a management position and bleeds dark blue. He has been here for 8 years and plays right back. Can throw the ball further at throw-ins than anyone I've ever seen before.

Abdus “Ibee” Ibrahim M, F 7: Another unknown, I think he came on as a sub, but I haven't seen him in action.

Daniel Wasson M 8: An injury kept him down all last season, and he did all sorts of jobs in a non-playing capacity. But now he is back on the field; which is good because when he was hanging out in the beer garden, he made us all look fat(ter) and uglier. Scorer of the first goal in Stars history.

Martin Nuñez F, M 9: Tiny, tiny Martin Nunez. We used to take the piss out of how small he was while he was playing for Fort Lauderdale. It didn't help that playing in red and yellow hoops makes anyone look like a member in good standing of the lollipop guild. That said, he was a terrible opponent to face, fast, nimble and creates plays easily. I'm really glad he's wearing blue now and I've stopped making hobbit jokes at him. Actually seems like a really nice guy.

Simone Bracalello F 10: The Genoan who will snag any ball with his feet, no matter how high. I actually don't remember him heading the ball, he'll bring it down with a high boot. One of the few Stars who will take a pop from range, he has vicious speed to his shot too. He has started off the bench this season and I wish he'd get more time. Spends his half-time warm ups rocketing shots into groups of kids in the stands behind goals. I'm not kidding. I love this guy.

Amani Walker F 11: Everyone is terrified of Amani Walker. The commentators at rival grounds will not shut up about how dangerous he is. I don't really know why. He is our starting big man forward. In the air he is good, on the ground... I'm in a minority, but I'm not that impressed. He cannot turn with the ball and he spends vital seconds covering his face and looking disappointed when an attack doesn't work out, even as play continues around him. He has his fans, but I think he is being used badly; a little bit further back as a centre forward would seem like a better fit for him. He has a few goals under his belt this year.

Kentaro Takada M 13: Someone once asked Taka if a crunching tackle he endured left him in pain. No, he replied, I am Samurai. Plays 120 minutes in a 90 minutes game, even though he looks totally dead for the last 15. Fan favourite and the first person to ever score a goal in the NASL. When balls drift out of the box from a corner or failed attack, Taka is often there, sprinting on to rocket the ball at goal.

Brian Kallman D 14: Two years ago Brian was getting sent off for straight up punching a guy. This year, he has filled in as Captain for the injured Altman and has been fantastic. His leg-breaking tackles have been replaced with clever physical play and he has become dependably mature in his play. Scowl appears to be his natural expression. He comes from a footballing family with his sisters all involved in the game at some level. Local boy too, which helps.

Evan Sassano D 15: Owner of some truly boss facial hair: the Cavalier mustache. he's bringing it back. Hasn't had a start yet, but the collective man-crush the fans have on him is kind of silly/awesome. We had goofy photoshop competition here: MORTALS: Bend a knee and celebrate Evan Sassano - USL Discussions

Kyle Altman D 16: Captain! Injured early on, he is looking to get back on the field. Not sure when that will be. Seems like a quiet guy off the field, an increasingly effective marshal on it. Did a great job last year. Of all the Stars, I would not spill this man's pint.

Shawn Chin M 19: Signed from our friendly neighbours to the north, FC Edmonton, he's a young guy that looked good when he was playing for the Eddies but hasn't had a start yet for us, I don't think. Possibly came on as a sub while I was distracted.

Connor Tobin D 20: Got a start, played a few good minutes against Atlanta, pulled a hamstring and waddled off. Nice guy though.

Devin Del Do F 21: 3-1 down against Atlanta and the Pleasurer puts one in to make it 3-2 with minutes to go. Did he celebrate? Did he lap up the adulation of his peers? No, he sprinted into the net, picked up the ball and got it back to the center spot pronto, giving us enough time to equalize. I couldn't have loved him more for that. Hasn't had many starts. Seems to be the second "Little man" behind Martin Nunez in the Big Man/Little Man forward set up coach Lagos seems to prefer. Still the best name to hear announcers stumble over.

Kevin Venegas M 22: Scored the screamer I posted above as his first goal as a pro. Energetic player and he'll have to be with the bar set that high.

Miguel Ibarra M 23: A stand-out of the season so far for me. Great control of the ball, tricky, creates plays and really fights for the ball. When he does give the ball away, you can guarantee he'll spend the next two minutes chasing it down. Always looks terrified when he dribbles - always. Firmly expect him to have the highest number of assists this season.

Michael Reed M 24: No clue. Haven't seen him at all, I don't think.

Matt VanOekel GK 30: Matty Extreme! Emerging from the long, preternaturally handsome shadow of Joe Warren is MVO. I was, I'll admit, very nervous about MVO taking over goalkeeping responsibilities because the few times I saw him play he was a very active, very risky goalkeeper. This year has been a revelation - he still has his heart-in-mouth moments, but he has combined it with focus and some great athleticism. Papa Joe Warren was all about out-thinking his opponent, MVO seems to rely more on reflex. Still swears like a trooper.

Travis Wall F 26: No clue, another mystery. Bracalello and Del Do are champing at the bit to get starts, it would appear, so I'm not sure how much we'll ever see of this guy.

Mba Ernest Tchoupe Ndefotsing D 28: El Tchoupecabra! He's from Cameroon, but spent a lot of time in Colombia. I'm of the opinion that he is a bit light as a defender, he gets pushed off the ball pretty easily. And there have been a few goals scored on us that were, I think, his poor marking. However, he is fast (we've traditionally been pretty poor at dealing with counterattacks) and has great footwork. He scored in his first game so he became a fan favourite. Could be amazing as a wide back, maybe he'll keep getting shoved off contested balls by smaller guys. One thing I will say that of all the players who come over and shake hands with the fans afterwards, that guy has easily the coldest hands. He must be freezing up here.

Lucas Rodriguez M 32: Was our twisty latino midfielder long before Martin Nunez and Miguel Ibarra. I like this guy, he is fun to watch play. Tends to have weak ankles but his ability to get around bigger opponents is a plus.

Andy Lorei M 77: Played a few games last year and has been active in the front office, selling tickets and arranging promotions and stuff. He's only 22, so I don't think he is working on setting up his next job quite yet.

Gino Mauro D 91: He's a Canadian central defender and we tend to need those as the season goes on. Central defenders, not Canadians. Will struggle to get playing time until more established players need the rest.

Okay, so that's the lot.

I'll edit in any more fantastic facts/opinions/slanders as I recall them.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Shotgun Mba Ernest Tchoupe Ndefotsing. Sounds like something I'd come out with after a night on the Harvey's :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports