Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
After a horrible 6 weeks, the Stars finally won a game last night against league laughing-stock Atlanta. Goals by Cosgriff and Altman.
I have been following BHAFC as best I can from the US, and I am thrilled the club is doing so well. I hope to have a 2nd team to support in the Premier League next season. Also thrilled to see my adopted player, Ashley Barnes, doing so well.
All the best.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
Get in lads. The 6th seeded Stars had to travel to 3rd seeded Tampa Bay. The Stars prevail 1-0 and take on #1 seed Carolina in a home-and-home over the next two weekends. The Stars have done very well vs. Carolina this season, taking 8 points from 4 matches.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
The Stars advanced to the finals tonight over the Carolina Railhawks. The Stars won the home leg of the Semi's 1-0 and advanced tonight on penos after a thrilling 4-3 game. (we don't have an away goals rule for some stupid reason) Goals by Gotsmanov, Rodriguez, and Hlavaty. Peno takers were Hlavaty, Del Do, Altman, Bracalello, and Rodriguez. Keeper Joe Warren saved a peno in regulation as well as the shootout to seal the victory.

GumbyGrrl

Aug 6, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota, USA
It was the most incredible game I've watched. Also the most stressful. Altman said his mom was so stressed she was sick.

It's a two-game final, home is on the 22nd vs the Ft Lauderdale Strikers; away is on the 29th.

GregX

Aug 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN USA
Last Saturday at the Nessie the boys got a 3-1 result to take into tomorrow night's away leg. In truth the Stars scored all four goals with an own goal off an errant backpass to the keeper. The game will be streaming on NSC Minnesota Stars | North American Soccer League as usual. In addition, those of you with the Double Platinum All Footie All The Time Baby Jesus package on your satellite system might even have access to Gol TV where the game is supposed to be broadcast on delay (not sure if it's available in the UK).

So think happy thoughts tomorrow night for us ladies and gents. The team that nobody wanted is going to win the cup!

Oct 25, 2003
i wonder if our american visitors could help me with this

i heard a rumour that st paul/minneapolis is one of the potential cities for an MLS expansion slot? any truth in that?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Wow I have just read this thread from start to finish, and I must say that this was probably the best thread (jamie thread excepted) that I hve read on here. Congrats on winning the NASL guys.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Wow I have just read this thread from start to finish, and I must say that this was probably the best thread (jamie thread excepted) that I hve read on here. Congrats on winning the NASL guys.

This thread is mad. I found the team by accident when i type NSC into google instead of north stand chat, then I thought why not mention it on here.

It then went to adopting a player, then SuperPhil leaving a message on their forum, they started adopting our players. A few shirt and scarf swaps were organised, and the rest is 25 pages of a new relationship between football fans

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
This thread is mad. I found the team by accident when i type NSC into google instead of north stand chat, then I thought why not mention it on here.

It then went to adopting a player, then SuperPhil leaving a message on their forum, they started adopting our players. A few shirt and scarf swaps were organised, and the rest is 25 pages of a new relationship between football fans

Brilliant, like I said, I really enjoyed reading the thread and think we should keep it going.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Howdy gents,

I've been meaning to get back in touch now that our season is underway and fill you in on the start of our defense of the NASL Championship.

The club and supporter's group (the Dark Clouds) have done a great job this year - much more action from the club since we are still ownerless and have to drum up interest from rich sorts. I believe we have until 2013 to find an owner, so if any of you have a spare $20 million sitting around...

The season got started with the unveiling of the new kit. We're no longer NSC Minnesota Stars, we're Minnesota Stars FC, so the logo got rejigged. The home kit looks much the same, still pretty great. But they blew the supporter's minds with the away kit: it now incorporates the Dark Cloud logo and the supporter's slogan "Everywhere We Go…. Dark Clouds Follow". The numbers on the back are made up of photos of the fan section, which we thought was pretty fantastic. So now, even when they are on the road, our stupid, ecstatic faces go with them.

Anyway, one of the promotional efforts the club made was to have our opening game at the Metrodome, current home of the Minnesota Vikings and occasional winter hazard. The Metrodome is a 64,000+ seater indoor stadium right downtown in Minneapolis; a far cry from the windswept hinterlands where we normally play.

Our average attendance last year was 1,600-something and the opener at the Metrodome pulled in 8,600+ punters. It was bonkers. Downtown is a much better location for pulling in populations that traditionally have an interest in football. We had far more latin-americans and east africans come along to this game and that was brilliant to see.

We had a whole bunch of flags, some really sweet banners (the biggest in this league for sure), beer donated by a local brewery, a band performing outside and I dressed up like Nessie and danced around like a twat. (I'm not going to lie, I had a great time doing it). The idea was to pull out all the stops and hopefully coax some of those extra 7000 punters to make it up to our normal stadium during the rest of the season. It was all going great - except that the game ended a 0-0 draw. A win or a few goals would have had a huge effect to catching those casual fans. We'll see how much of an impact the whole thing had later in the season. I will say that I was immensely proud to have been part of it. It was a great day to be a Dark Cloud. Short video of the proceedings here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug4tIXn4MRQ

The team this year hasn't changed too much. the roster is still finalizing, we added two more people today. The biggest loss is Papa Joe Warren, our penalty-saving, titan-amongst-men goalkeeper. Turns out he was playing most of last season with a messed up ankle and he was due to retire. The current roster is here: 2012 Roster | MN Stars FC

(We added Martin Nunez from Ft Lauderdale this year; after the Metrodome game he told a friend of mine that he was glad he was on our side this year, because he hated us (the supporters) last year. :) I paraphrased the swearing out.)

So, that's the lowdown on the start of the season. I (and a few others over here) have been keeping tabs on B&HAs season - impressive! They look well at home in the Championship. Best of luck getting into the playoffs and nice job on the stadium!

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Finally, some goals. After two stolidly defensive matches, we get goals in abundance because both our defenses had rough games. 2 red cards, 1 penalty, 7 goals and we came out ahead in the end. it wasn't pretty, but it was a win and we're second in the table with a game in hand.

For those who sponsored players last year, our scorers were Neil Hlavaty (Penalty), Captain Kyle Altman, Kentaro Takada and Devin 'The Pleasurer" Del Do.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, it's brutal watching it, but I think the players are probably used to it by now because a lot of lower league teams share with other sports (in this case Canadian Football (Pointyball)). The last pitch we played on had fairly obvious baseball bases marked out on part of the field.

Mercifully, we don't have to do that at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports