Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
We do have some amazing goalkeepers here. The Carolina keeper (Nic Platter) played in Minnesota last year, for the Thunder.
Matt VanOekel is a star in his own right.
But the true hero for the Minnesota Stars is Joe Warren.
STARS TV: 5-13-10 - NSC Minnesota Stars (starting at about 1:55)

Just seen this GumbyGrrl! Go Joe, he da man!

ps great news for next year!

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Glad to hear about this!

It seems events are transpiring against me. OGH has either been on the phone, not showed up or the latest in this epic just to get an autograph: i'm being called in to work from 5 on saturday across town.

Soccerboy, i've not forgotten about getting Harty's sig for you, its just a minor conspirisy at the moment. I hope home game after next to get the autograph if my mate can't get it on saturday.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
I am one of the USA soccer balls in Minnesota and I just found out that I will be in London on the day of the game at Brentford March 8th. It seems getting to the game will be easy since the tube runs there. I was curious how I would go about getting tickets in the Brighton Supporters Section for this game? Is it something I must do ahead of time, or can I just buy at the gate? Also, if anyone is traveling to the game and wants to meet up for a pint beforehand let me know.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I am one of the USA soccer balls in Minnesota and I just found out that I will be in London on the day of the game at Brentford March 8th. It seems getting to the game will be easy since the tube runs there. I was curious how I would go about getting tickets in the Brighton Supporters Section for this game? Is it something I must do ahead of time, or can I just buy at the gate? Also, if anyone is traveling to the game and wants to meet up for a pint beforehand let me know.

Travelling 3,000 miles to see the Albion - fantastic. Sorry to have to tell you we always lose at Brentford though.

I don't know if they've announced yet whether we can pay on the gate.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
Over 4000 miles to be precise. I saw that they were selling away tickets on the BHAFC official site, but only for the next few games. It also said I had to be a member of a club of various colors to buy the tickets which is a bit concerning. I am not worried about the poor history of results at Brentford. I believe in nessy, I believe in Ashley Barnes, I believe in BHAFC!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Over 4000 miles to be precise. I saw that they were selling away tickets on the BHAFC official site, but only for the next few games. It also said I had to be a member of a club of various colors to buy the tickets which is a bit concerning. I am not worried about the poor history of results at Brentford. I believe in nessy, I believe in Ashley Barnes, I believe in BHAFC!

I am sure we can bounce this closer to the time. Last time we played there (last season), I bought 5 tickets on the door. However, I am sure someone will be willing to adopt you for the day and might have a membership you can use if tickets are in danger of selling out. Work permitting I should be up there for that game. Being an evening game, I very very very much doubt we will sell out in advance or on the evening.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I just checked out the attendance numbers for Brentford. They haven't been anywhere close to selling out all season.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
And as soon as plans are made, they change. I will now be in London starting the morning of the 12th. What are the logistics of getting to Brighton from London? Is there a train? How long would the trip take?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You can take a train from a variety of stations (London Victoria/London Bridge/Clapham Junction/East Croydon/and so on). Where would you be coming from? Journeys from Victoria or London Bridge range from 50 mins to 1 hour 10 mins or so.

You would have to buy a ticket in advance through our ticket office/website. It would be well worth having it in your hand before you travel so you can use the travel voucher supplied. Book an advance return for the train, but only to Haywards Heath from wherever you are coming from. Your vouchers will account for the rest of the journey.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
I think I will try to stay somewhere around the London Bridge station. It all depends on where the hostels are though. From there it seems I can get a return ticket to Brighton for 10 pounds. The frequency of the trains and the trip length is pretty damn good. You guys are very lucky.

Fordprefect

Aug 5, 2010
Oh, and another question. Where in the stadium is best to sit/stand? The name of this form leads me to believe that the north stands are the place to be, but I have always been a behind the goal kind of guy. Ideally I would like a standing section where I can lose my voice singing the whole game.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Oh, and another question. Where in the stadium is best to sit/stand? The name of this form leads me to believe that the north stands are the place to be, but I have always been a behind the goal kind of guy. Ideally I would like a standing section where I can lose my voice singing the whole game.

Withdean is a bit dead i'm afraid. North used to be the place to be at our old ground, but now its not really, its a calmer stand.

South stand, block H is the "singing block"

Behind the goals, the stands are 50 feet away (thats the away stand) or filled with kids (the family stand/north east stand) or alright but not the best view (the east stand).

GumbyGrrl

Aug 6, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota, USA
We're starting the new season soon (probably -there is the small matter of the league not being sanctioned. Long story; IMSoccer News has the highlights: NASL Releases Press Statement Concerning US Soccers Decision to Decline Sanctioning | ). Anyway, we're getting ready for the new season, and have signed 11 of the players from last season:
Forward/midfielder – Ely Allen, midfielder/defender – Kyle Altman, defender – Andres Arango, forward – Simone Bracalello, defender – Chris Clements, forward – Devin Del Do, midfielder – Geison Moura, midfielder – Kentaro Takada, midfielder – Lucas Rodriguez, midfielder – Daniel Wasson, and goalkeeper – Joe Warren
Then, Joe Warren decided to retire. So we have 10 signed players.
I went to their scrimmage/training this morning and talked to several players, including Louis Crayton, Altman, Arango, Friedland, Cvilikas, among others. Let me know if you have questions for any of them; I should be back there sometime next week.

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
2011 Season: Adopt a Star!

2011 season starts over here on Saturday and we've been filling out the team since we learned we'd be returning. Some of these boys haven't yet been seen in play, but last year having BHA fans adopt players seemed to give the team a boost. If even a little of Albion's great season rubs off on us, I'll be happy!

Copied from the team notes, that's why the player height is in there... I'm not obsessive or nuffin'.

1 Joseph Warren GK 6-4 Minneapolis, Minn. : Mighty Joe signed up, then retired, then unretired. He did some great things last year and I'm glad to have him back.
2 Justin Davis D 6-0 Litchfield Park, Ariz.: New Guy.
3 Cristiano Dias D 6-3 Machado, Brazil : New Brazilian Guy.
4 Neil Hlavaty M 5-11 Lombard, Ill. : A stalwart from last year, he fought for a place in the team and impressed. Also, other team's commentators cannot, for the life of them, pronounce his name.
5 Jack Stewart D 6-2 Torrance, Calif. :Used to play for Real Salt Lake and was featured in Cosmopolitan magazine's 50 most eligible bachelors. Not even kidding.
6 Kevin Friedland D 5-8 Irvine, Calif. : Friedland helped design our new strip (including the Nessie on the back). You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who works harder for this team than Kevin Friedland, on and off the pitch. Injuries seem to be dogging him, but he is also an assistant coach, so he is always around.
7 Andrei Gotsmanov M 5-8 Minsk, Soviet Union: Back again. Despite picking up injuries easier than a porcelain doll in a cement mixer, people are hopeful that this will be a good year for Gotsmanov. When he plays, he can really play and the team obviously still has faith in him.
9 Tino Nuñez F 5-8 Atlanta, Ga.: New guy.
10 Sandy Gbandi M 5-10 Harbel, Liberia: New guy. Got a start in the preseason game against the Chicago Fire and seemed good apparently. I just love the guy's name.
11 Chris Clements D 6-2 Allen, Texas : Another returning player. He may get more starts this year because our former captain and defender Andres 'The Wrangler' Arango is no longer with us.
13 Kentaro Takada M 5-9 Tokyo, Japan: So glad Taka is back. A little dynamo in the midfield and something of a talisman for the team. When one of his opportunistic strikes from distance finally went in last year, it was a highlight of the season for me. Plus, we're all glad he didn't drown. Highlighted as a player to watch in the team notes.
14 Brian Kallman D 6-0 Woodbury, Minn.: "Red Card" Kallman is back again and may get more playing time in the new defense if he can refrain from running up to guys and punching them. We're thinking of making a drinking game/charity donation based on how many cautions and cards he gets, but I'm not sure our wallets will handle it if he gets more starts this year. Scowling appears to be his natural disposition. You kind of need at least one guy on the team like that though, don't you?
15 John Gilkerson D 6-0 Winchester, Va.: New guy. We saw a lot of him with the Carolina Railhawks last year and I remember him as being pretty good.
16 Kyle Altman D 6-1 Albuquerque, N.M. : The Rabbi is now likely to be coordinating our Defense this year and seems to me a likely Captain. Intense, fairly physical and gives it everything.
17 Geison Moura M 5-10 Sao Caetano, Brazil: Not in the starting line-up against Atlanta in our first game of the season, which is too bad, because I love watching this guy play.
18 Jeff Cosgriff M/F 6-4 San Francisco, Calif.: New guy. AC St Louis went udders aloft over the winter and we picked up this guy who gave us troubles last year.
19 Simone Bracalello M/F 6-0 Genoa, Italy: Last year's newcomer of the year and one half of the Bracadeldo striking force. I'm glad to see he is a starter, he deserves it. No ball passes with range of his legs without him bringing it down with a foot and playing it - shoulder high, behind him, doesn't matter. I'm biased because he is my favourite player.
20 Brian Cvilikas F 6-3 Highlands Ranch, Colo.: One-two passes between Hlavaty and Cvilikas are enough to make most announcers swallow their tongues. He is another tall guy in an increasingly tall team - we've added quite a few big lads this year. Didn't have a whole lot of luck in front of goal last year, but I'm optimistic about him.
21 Devin Del Do F 5-9 Valencia, Calif.: The Pleasurer. Really helped turn the season around when he came off the injury list and paired up with Bracalello. Endlessly penetrates the defense etc etc. Good at getting on the end of crosses and finishing which was a rare ability last year.
23 Ryan Woods M 5-7 Preston, England : New guy. Never heard of him.
26 Ely Allen M 5-11 Kent, Wash.: I thought Allen was great last year. He played great games even when everyone else was having a mediocre game. Capable of making good, tricky runs down the wing and did that a lot last year before crossing it to lazy, lazy Melvin Tarley who squandered them all. Melvin's gone, Ely is still here.
30 Matt Van Oekel GK 6-4 Chesapeake, Va.: Matty "Extreme" looked like he was going to be our starter Goalie. He improved a lot last year even if his salty talk didn't. Honestly, filthiest mouth on the park.
32 Lucas Rodriguez M 5-8 Buenos Aires, Argentina: Picked up an award for best newcomer during the Indoor football season with whoever he was playing with and I was pleased to see that the stars picked him up. he is a starter this year, which hopefully means he has put his injury worries behind him.
77 Andy Lorei M 6-2 Erie, Penn.: New guy. No one is sure on the name.

Staff:
Manny Lagos Head Coach Saint Paul, Minn.: In Manny we trust. Seems to have three gears: Solemn, Solemnly shouting and Incandescently Angry. We'll see how many times he throws his sports coat this year.
Carl Craig Assistant Coach Newcastle, England.: My mum grew up in Newcastle and I may offer my services as an interpreter, because I'm not sure anyone knows what he is saying. His pantomime skills are coming along though.
Jeremy Donner Athletic Trainer Eagle Butte, S.D.: Ha! Eagle Butte, honestly.

Our first game of the season is an away game in Georgia against the Atlanta Silverbacks, which Atlanta have promised to have streaming. Our home opener is on the 30th. So EXCITED!

In the meantime, congratulations on your continued charge towards the Championship!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
7 Andrei Gotsmanov M 5-8 Minsk, Soviet Union: Back again. Despite picking up injuries easier than a porcelain doll in a cement mixer, people are hopeful that this will be a good year for Gotsmanov. When he plays, he can really play and the team obviously still has faith in him.
!

I've forgotten if we established with you that his father played for Brighton. Does his father go and watch him play, Ayeready?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here