Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Huge game tonight for NSC as they take on the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Our last game was nicely played in front of 15,000 in Portland, Oregon. This game is at home and many of us demanding victory as we need to secure our spot for the playoffs. Game starts at 7pm CST which is about 1am your time.

Think that means you folks need to drink inside tonight.

So what was the NSC v Vancouver score? Did you win?

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Vancouver 1 Minnesota 0 NASL.com

In their fourth of five consecutive matches on the road, Vancouver Whitecaps FC extended their undefeated streak to five and their road undefeated run to nine, as they defeated NSC Minnesota Stars 1-0 on Saturday evening in Blaine, Minnesota.

Whitecaps FC captain Martin Nash netted his fourth goal of the season, as the NASL Conference-leading ‘Caps increased their cushion to 10 points over the second-place Carolina RailHawks – who fell 2-1 to Crystal Palace Baltimore earlier in the day.

On a cool and windy evening at the National Sports Center, it was the visiting Whitecaps who controlled the play early, in a first half that saw Teitur Thordarson’s side defend well and look dangerous in the Minnesota final third. After a Philippe Davies corner led to nothing substantial on five minutes, the first scoring chance of the match came on nine minutes when striker Cornelius Stewart received a pass from midfielder Blake Wagner just inside two yards. After running onto a fine Nizar Khalfan through ball down the left flank, Wagner cut back and fed Stewart, but the speedy striker’s bid to open the scoring was blocked by a Minnesota defender on the goal line.

Stewart did, however, set up the first goal of the match on 15 minutes. After a fine run down the left flank, Stewart sent a soft pass to midfielder Martin Nash at the top of the 18-yard box, and the Whitecaps captain finished first-time with a brilliant right-footed strike to give the ‘Caps a 1-0 lead. With the goal, Nash is now tied with Ivor Evans for 8th place on Vancouver’s all-time career points list with 106.

“I think Martin has been struggling a little bit in the last few games, but today he was back to his normal self,” Whitecaps FC head coach Teitur Thordarson told whitecapsfc.com. “He controlled the midfield and he means a lot to our team because he keeps the team together and he’s a good leader out there.”

Dissatisfied with a one-goal lead, the Whitecaps nearly made it two five minutes later, but a dangerous looking Davies cross from the right flank deflected off Minnesota defender Kevin Friedland’s knee inside the area and just over the net.

Meanwhile, Minnesota striker Simone Bracalello had the home team’s best opportunities of the match, but Whitecaps goalkeeper Jay Nolly stood tall on both occasions – on 21 and 25 minutes.

In the first and only minute of additional time, Nash nearly netted his second goal of the match after he did well to win a Davies cross, but the captain’s strike from five yards was stopped by Stars keeper Joe Warren. On the ensuing play, Khalfan’s rebound attempt was blocked and Stewart couldn’t catch up to the loose ball before a sprawling Warren covered it up.

Although Thordarson says the team was focused on playing sound defensively, he was also pleased with the way they moved the ball forward in the opening 45 minutes.

“We wanted to attack as well, which we did in the first half,” said Thordarson. “We wanted to show well defensively and make sure we didn’t give them any openings and I think we managed that. They only had the one scoring chance in the first half and we should have scored more.”

As the rain started to pour down in down in Blaine, the home team came out with a new found intensity after the break, and nearly evened the score on 48 minutes. A nice passing play between Melvin Tarley and Daniel Wasson in midfield led to a decent Wasson opportunity, but the midfielder’s strike from 25 yards went just over Nolly’s goal, as the score remained 1-0.

Johnny Menyongar had a similar opportunity on 54 minutes, but the Minnesota midfielder’s attempt from just outside the penalty area sailed way wide.

The second half also saw recently acquired midfielder Terry Dunfield and striker Jonathan McDonald make their first appearances with Whitecaps FC. After receiving a short pass from Nash, Dunfield let loose an ambitious attempt from 30 yards, but his first opportunity with his hometown club sailed over the Minnesota goal on 63 minutes.

“I basically saw what I expected from them,” said Thordarson when asked about Dunfield and McDonald. “I know that neither of them are very game fit, so I knew that they would give us a good thing to begin with, but for how long, I didn’t know.”

After play was suspended for a half hour at the 79 minute mark due to thunder and lightning, the Whitecaps seemed content to sit on their one-goal in the dying stages of this USSF D-2 affair.

Despite two Minnesota free-kick opportunities, one from just outside the penalty area on 85 minutes and the other in the second and final minute of additional time, the ‘Caps were successful in holding off the home team, as they captured their ninth victory and 11th clean sheet of the regular season.

90 FULL MINUTES

“I think we played quite well early on,” said Thordarson. “In the second half, we were a little out of sync. We didn’t get the passing going as we wanted and they also gave us some trouble, but all the games seem to be like this so I’m still happy we got the three points.”

Saturday’s result, combined with Vancouver’s previous victory and draw against Minnesota this season, means the Whitecaps win the season series against the USL Conference’s Stars, with one meeting remaining.

Scoring Summary:
15' - VAN - Martin Nash (Cornelius Stewart)

Caution:
74' - VAN - Blake Wagner

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Jay Nolly; 22.Takashi Hirano, 2.Nelson Akwari, 14.Greg Janicki, 4.Chris Williams; 23.Blake Wagner (77.Zurab Tsiskaridze 74'), 3.Luca Bellisomo (6.Terry Dunfield '54), 7.Martin Nash, 15.Philippe Davies (13.Alex Elliott 74'); 39.Cornelius Stewart (19.Jonathan McDonald 61'), 29.Nizar Khalfan (11.Ridge Mobulu 52')

Subs not used: 27.Dan Pelc, 16.Kyle Porter

NSC Minnesota Stars
1.Joe Warren; 6.Kevin Friedland, 16.Kyle Altman, 25.Scott Lorenz, 3.Andres Arango; 8.Daniel Wasson, 13.Kentaro Takada (7.Andrei Gotsmanov 75'), 10.Johnny Menyongar (20.Brian Cvilikas 79'), 11.Ely Allen; 18.Melvin Tarley (9.Warren Ukah 89'), 19.Simone Bracalello (4.Neil Hlavaty 45')

Subs not used: 30.Matt VanOekel, 11.Chris Clements, 17.Geison Moura

GumbyGrrl

Aug 6, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota, USA
It was a rough one, but the lightning delay was fun. Lots of chatting and singing in the sheltered areas.

You're welcome, Mendoza!

SeagullTim, only the coach knows why Leland wasn't in the squad. I talked to him at the half (in the beer garden, of course), and he's not injured; he just wasn't selected.
Lucas Rodrguez was there also - same story.

Devin Del Do and Two-Boys Gumede were there, too, but still injured. Two-Boys will be helping out with the NSC MN Stars Fantasy camp today, so I'll see him again today. (I'm not a 'camper' - no running for me - but will be there to watch their game.)

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It was a rough one, but the lightning delay was fun. Lots of chatting and singing in the sheltered areas.

You're welcome, Mendoza!

SeagullTim, only the coach knows why Leland wasn't in the squad. I talked to him at the half (in the beer garden, of course), and he's not injured; he just wasn't selected.
Lucas Rodrguez was there also - same story.

Devin Del Do and Two-Boys Gumede were there, too, but still injured. Two-Boys will be helping out with the NSC MN Stars Fantasy camp today, so I'll see him again today. (I'm not a 'camper' - no running for me - but will be there to watch their game.)

I'm really worried about Bracalello: if he ISN'T injured, there was no good reason for taking him off at the half. Especially when they left Tarley on for 89 minutes and he was bloody hopeless. WTF is up with giving Ukah two minutes of playing time?

For how miserable a result it was though, I had a really good time last night. Lightning isn't enough to get us out the beer garden!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Any of you NSC Minnesota guys watching WPS Sunday on Fox Soccer Channel. First half just finished with the Boston Breakers 2-0 up against Sky Blue FC of New Jersey. Reasonable standard and some very fit women playing on both sides. Waiting to see if they exchange shirts at the end.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
I was watching the MLS and have been really impressed with a player called Brek Shea. I was just wondering is he the next big thing or is he going to be like the overrated and over hyped Freddy Adu?

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I was watching the MLS and have been really impressed with a player called Brek Shea. I was just wondering is he the next big thing or is he going to be like the overrated and over hyped Freddy Adu?

I've read a few articles that make him out to be the next big thing... if there is a lot of hype then I haven't noticed that.

I don't know if I could stand to look at that stupid haircut though.

GumbyGrrl

Aug 6, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota, USA
photo.php

I've received the shirt and scarf! I tried to post a photo, but it's not cooperating at the moment...
Thank you, Mendoza!
The exchange is complete. Almost. I'll drop your scarf in the mail today. ;->

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
well this has died off abit hasn't it? shame I wouldn't mind some more stars news

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports