Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team NSC - USA Soccer Ball

I know some of you may have questions about the NSC in the NSC Minnesota name. Well, for almost 20 years the Minneapolis-St. Paul area had the longest running outdoor professional soccer franchise in the United States; The Minnesota Thunder.

Well, times got tough and the owner fell behind on payments and before you knew it we figured we wouldn't have a team for the 2010 season. Then, out of nowhere, 3months prior to the season the National Sports Center decided to put on a team. The NSC is a Minnesota state facility that was built in the early 90's as an attempt to lure Olympic training facilities to the state (hence the world class velodrome that is located a mere 200meters from the stadium).

So, this team is basically Thunder 2.0, but with a new name, new ownership and for the most part a newly developing fanbase. I believe the average attendance for the season at this point in time is 1800 fans which is below expectations and is a little disheartening, but many of us were around when the Thunder were able to get 4-5000 a game.

The stadium is fantastic. They took out the running track a few years ago and installed a huge beer deck/garden in the North End. This is where the picture of our "Believe" banner was taken.

In addition, the team has built us the best scoreboard in all of soccer (a few of us designed it for the squad):
883381256_wXfXB-M.jpg

We run the numbers from the beer garden. We taunt the opposing teams with the awesomeness of the analog, and our players love it:

883377753_BQLVE-M.jpg

883380864_ydvm9-M.jpg

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
running the numbers to the board is FLAIR! imagine doing that at Withdean!

Ayeready

Aug 4, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ayeready - Do you know Bud of Hirshfields?

How is my boy getting on? Mr Altman, Kyle.

I know the Hirshfields paint stores. Never been in one. I think there is one in Richfield, not far from me. Actually, they're all over the place. That's the family friend?

As for your man Kyle Altman, The Rabbi, he's a defensive stalwart. He is the tallest of the starting defenders... let me check that... yup, Lipset and Clements are taller, but don't play as often as Altman. Actually, nobody plays as often as Altman, he is healthy as a horse and has the most minutes logged on the field.

Seems quiet and serious, but gets intense during play. I wouldn't wind him up.

GregX

Aug 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN USA
And being a new team, we've been thinking of slogans, mascots, songs etc. (and by "we" I mean everyone else; I lack creativity and am little more than a troll).

For your consideration is a contender for team song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdb4NyHdFfE

Caution: Moby ahead

If nothing else, I like the video...

9pm Central is 3am in the UK, Soccerboy. That might be past some people's bedtimes...

I know some of you may have questions about the NSC in the NSC Minnesota name. Well, for almost 20 years the Minneapolis-St. Paul area had the longest running outdoor professional soccer franchise in the United States; The Minnesota Thunder.

Well, times got tough and the owner fell behind on payments and before you knew it we figured we wouldn't have a team for the 2010 season. Then, out of nowhere, 3months prior to the season the National Sports Center decided to put on a team. The NSC is a Minnesota state facility that was built in the early 90's as an attempt to lure Olympic training facilities to the state (hence the world class velodrome that is located a mere 200meters from the stadium).

So, this team is basically Thunder 2.0, but with a new name, new ownership and for the most part a newly developing fanbase. I believe the average attendance for the season at this point in time is 1800 fans which is below expectations and is a little disheartening, but many of us were around when the Thunder were able to get 4-5000 a game.

The stadium is fantastic. They took out the running track a few years ago and installed a huge beer deck/garden in the North End. This is where the picture of our "Believe" banner was taken.

In addition, the team has built us the best scoreboard in all of soccer (a few of us designed it for the squad):
883381256_wXfXB-M.jpg

We run the numbers from the beer garden. We taunt the opposing teams with the awesomeness of the analog, and our players love it:

883377753_BQLVE-M.jpg

883380864_ydvm9-M.jpg

It is all about TOTAL JACKASSERY!

A practice match.

I guess you could call it that. I guess you guys might call it an organized "kick-a-bout?" I have a friend who is orignally from Derby County. I will have to check with her on some of the verbage so I get it right.

Their next match is not for another week. I think the coach wanted them all up and running hard. Good fast-paced soccer. It was also nice to see some of the non-starters play. My 5th cousin is an outside back--it is always good to see him out on the pitch.

883381256_wXfXB-M.jpg

883377753_BQLVE-M.jpg

883380864_ydvm9-M.jpg

They also host a rather large youth soccer tournament every year called the USA Cup. I think they typically have 20,000 youth soccer players play over a 10 day period. It is pretty intense. Last year the lads from the Tottenham youth academy made an appearance. What a treat!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
9pm Central is 3am in the UK, Soccerboy. That might be past some people's bedtimes...

I'm often up at 4.00 so I should be able to catch the second half (except I'm away on holiday then).

Gutted that my boy Max Lipset's not a regular - give him time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I live about six miles (what, is that about 30+ kilometers)

I hope you are watching too much Top Gear, or are entering into the NSC sense of humour. However, just to let you know, we use miles here, honestly, and 6 miles is about 9.5km. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here