Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Villa

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why was Connolly not in squad yesterday? We battered Villa up there til the sending off. We are a better side. We have to get at them early and attack - they’ll have negative frail confidence after today.

Post match Potter said no injury or anything, just his team selection. So he should be available (barring injury in training/illness)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think who plays is as important as improving in the final third. It's one of the biggest flaws we have, and all the tinkering in the world won't change that. Whoever plays, we need to see improved decision making and improved execution from them.

That exact point was covered on Radio Sussex yesterday.

They felt Murray should start, with either Mooy (preferably) or Propper right behind him.

Their feeling was that Maupay just now doesn’t link up with team-mates, isn’t aware of them and lacks a killer pass,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m just back from Liverpool, great weekend, great city.
After watching that yesterday how any sane Albion fan can seriously pick Duffy or Stephens in a starting 11 for next weekend and then ask them to ‘out-football’ Villa is beyond belief, or they ought to be in bed by now.
Same team that started v B’muff.

We out-footballed Arsenal and Spurs with Stephens in the team, no doubt giving you two of your happiest Albion memories.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Sad to see the myth about our main threat not being a starter, is starting to take hold.
Trossard should start every game IMO.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan
Montoya....Duffy.....Dunk....Bernardo
Jahanbakhsh ...Propper....Stephens....Mooy
Gross
Maupay​

Subs: Button, Webster, Bissouma Murray Trossard Alzate March

My one query was Duffy or Webster but opted for Duffy as a better defender.

This with March instead of AJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I’m just back from Liverpool, great weekend, great city.
After watching that yesterday how any sane Albion fan can seriously pick Duffy or Stephens in a starting 11 for next weekend and then ask them to ‘out-football’ Villa is beyond belief, or they ought to be in bed by now.
Same team that started v B’muff.

Absolutely agree with you re: Shane when it comes to 'footballing' center halves - but Duffy is one of the best headers of a football in the game and is a brick wall type defender. If we could just work on set pieces to exploit his aerial capability then we'd frighten the shit out of most premier league sides. And (hindsight alert) if Duffy had played at Anfield - no way is Dick Van Dyke getting two headed goals... (might have got a few on the deck tho:D)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ryan
Montoya, Webster, Dunk, Duffy, Burn
Bissouma, Propper,
Trossard. Alzate
Collony, Maupay

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I applaud your sentiment, they might run them ragged, but with our well documented problems in the final third, don't agree with you !

Never thought I'd be advocating the return of Glenn, but yesterday's 20 minute cameo showed what striking intelligence and (despite 36 year old legs) 200+ career goals can do for you at the top of the pitch. The bloke just takes up great positions. And Maupay needs some sort of partner even if it's not a rigid/dinosaur 4-4-2

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why would March start ahead of AJ? Much as we all like Solly I cannot count the times he fails to beat 1st man with a cross or resort tk pass back instead. AJ is the most accurate crosser we have at the moment.

Not sure that’s the case.
I just feel we need pace, which unfortunately AJ doesn’t have.

I like AJ, but to me I would change it for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not many have gone for Ali J, but I think he has to start over Alzate. He is used to big match football. I don't think you can have Connolly, Maupay, Alzate and Trossard in the team at the same time as they are too lightweight together. I don't think Bissouma and Stephens work well together and I think we need the old Propper/Stephens axis back for this one with no sighs, groans etc when Stephens doesn't display world class quality and thread every pass through a congested midfield for our forwards to run on to. In case nobody noticed, he ain't DeBruyne! I would prefer a flat back four, preferably Montoya and Bernardo alongside Duffy/Webster and Dunk. I'll have to leave Potter to sort out the better option of Duffy/Webster. Mooy has to start if he has shaken off his injury and we mustn't leave the floppy haired one space to work his magic/do his dives - another reason why Stephens must play. Minded to find room for Gross to because their keeper is struggling and if Gross plays to his best levels, could open up a few chances between the keeper and the back four. Can't decide either way about Murray starting, but he has more guile than our other options.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It wouldn't surprise me to see Murray and Maupay line up together up top. Muzza's home goalscoring record is terrific

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It wouldn't surprise me to see Murray and Maupay line up together up top. Muzza's home goalscoring record is terrific

Was, it was a while ago.

He is a good foil and wise head to partner either NM or AC but he just ain't quick enough to not be offside all the bloody time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here