Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Spurs (H) 16/03/2022

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can't get behind the March criticism, because it's Solly, but it's not difficult to see where it comes from.

HKFC puts up some great points but for me there always feels like something is missing.
Dunno whether it's just a decision making mental thing, but for me he just doesn't play as naturally as his talents would suggest.

There's always an extra touch, a pause before kicking, a snapped shot whatever.
It feels like muscle memory gets him through 95% of the job but his brain won't let go for that crucial 5%.

Sorry I doubt that makes any sense to anyone but me

It’s confidence I think as we have seen before he is capable of those things. I don’t buy or support the March is not good enough nonsense but I am probably more critical of him than others as you get glimpses of a player who looks capable of so much more yet he never seems to take his game to the next level.

I was once told by someone within the club that Murray had taken him under his wing as March was doing incredible things on the training ground but never translated to games.

High on confidence March ghosts past players and (when he gets his head up) is one of the few players who can get to the line and get a ball in. Last season he was looking like he could nail the LWB role and had found his position but the Cucurella signing has left him on the fringes and if reports are correct questioning his future at the Albion.

However despite that frustration I have he is always consistent, rarely has a poor game and is a reliable, solid option for us whenever he is called upon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take the points raised. He often pauses for a cross but to be fair this is usually attributed to no one being 1) in the box 2) in the box and free. There are of course frustrations.

I will counter with his thunderbolt against West Ham, hit first time on his weaker foot though.

Maybe he / they have been told to keep possession at all costs but this then goes against Potters public mantra of taking risks at the right time and not worrying about mistakes

The last thing any of us should be doing is encouraging an Albion player to do just that.
But I'll Eden a guess had he taken his touch the shot wouldn't be remembered now.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn’t that the second? Can’t really remember

No, the second was the March own goal, but you can't really blame him for that either. He got back in front of Emerson having chased him from the edge of the Spurs area. He tried to block the cross but it took a wicked deflection off of him that took it over Sanchez. March could have just given up the chase and left Emerson with a clear run on goal but his tracking forced Emerson out wide, the rest was just bad luck.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
------------------ Steele --------------------
--- Veltman ---- Dunk ---- Cucurella -----
Lamptey -- Alzate -- Moder -- March
---------- Gross ---------- Mac Allister -----
--------------- Welbeck -------------------------

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I can't get behind the March criticism, because it's Solly, but it's not difficult to see where it comes from.

HKFC puts up some great points but for me there always feels like something is missing.
Dunno whether it's just a decision making mental thing, but for me he just doesn't play as naturally as his talents would suggest.

There's always an extra touch, a pause before kicking, a snapped shot whatever.
It feels like muscle memory gets him through 95% of the job but his brain won't let go for that crucial 5%.

Sorry I doubt that makes any sense to anyone but me

He just lacks the quality required in the final third for me. He does a good job around the halfway line, but once he gets into that final third, he is out of his depth.

No one can doubt his effort, for which I applaud him, but he struggles to beat his man, struggles to get a cross in, can't shoot and takes far too long to see the pass.

He quite often looks like he is playing well, without doing anything significant.

The reality is, the team has evolved beyond Solly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He just lacks the quality required in the final third for me. He does a good job around the halfway line, but once he gets into that final third, he is out of his depth.

No one can doubt his effort, for which I applaud him, but he struggles to beat his man, struggles to get a cross in, can't shoot and takes far too long to see the pass.

He quite often looks like he is playing well, without doing anything significant.

I was surprised when he got his new contract.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

That's exactly as I see it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I thought he was our best player at the weekend

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought he was our best player at the weekend

He was. As he was against Villa and Burnley.

Haters got to hate. I feel sorry for them. Must be a bit shit 'supporting' a football team, but only actually choosing to get behind half of the players.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He was. As he was against Villa and Burnley.

Haters got to hate. I feel sorry for them. Must be a bit shit 'supporting' a football team, but only actually choosing to get behind half of the players.

All games we lost and were not good enough in. There inlies the point, I think.

I don't hate Solly March, just because I don't think he's good enough for this level. I don't think anyone hates him, he's a lovable little fella but some of us have noticed he's not wearing any clothes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Damning with faint praise. :whistle: :lol:

By what stretch is remarking that playing well (he did) against probably one of the best teams in the world - “faint praise” ? I know you’re all commenting by quips so hard to tell what you’re saying but blimey tough crowd …

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All games we lost and were not good enough in. There inlies the point, I think.

I don't hate Solly March, just because I don't think he's good enough for this level. I don't think anyone hates him, he's a lovable little fella but some of us have noticed he's not wearing any clothes.

So, if a team loses a game, it automatically follows that every member of that team were 'not good enough'. Righto.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here