Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Roma next week?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me, the more interesting question is does the magnitude of the game on Thursday impact the team we pick on Saturday?

You could look at it and say, Saturday to Thursday is plenty of recovery time and it is. But we have players we now cannot afford to lose. Adingra, our last proper winger for example. Given his poor game last night, does he get rested?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
(* not sure if Barco, Moder, Peupion etc are in our revised Europa League squad)
Moder and Enciso are, Barco isn’t so can’t play in any Europa League games. Peupion isn’t but I believe he’s eligible for the B list which can be added to up to 24 hours before a match.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I don’t want to tempt fate but it would be naive not to expect injuries resulting from the Saturday match against Fulham of all teams 🙄 before we get to Thursday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm starting to feel slightly bitter that we'll be going into this game without March, Mitoma and, probably, Pedro at the attacking end of the pitch.

A stage such as the Stadio Olimpico really deserves our A-team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Fulham score first we won't pick up many injuries against them because the rest of the game will just involve them lying on the ground feigning head injuries or taking five minutes for a throw in. The ball will hardly be in play.
That the thug Paulinha is out suspended, will help, too.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Giving this a little bump. I'd go...

Verbruggen
Veltman, van Hecke, Dunk, Pervis
Gross, Gilmour
Lamptey, Buonanotte, Adingra
Welbeck​

Lamptey and Veltman starting allows us to easily switch from a back four to a back three in/out of possession...

With Fati, Enciso, Ferguson, Baleba, Moder, Igor, Lallana providing options from the bench.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given the selections against Fulham, I think the following is more likely:

-------------------------- Bart -----------------------
Lamptey ------ Van Hecke ----- Dunk -------- Igor
--------------- Gross --------- Gilmour -------------
Adingra ----------- Buonanotte --------------- Fati
--------------------- Welbeck -----------------------

Decent starting line-up, and decent range of subs to come off the bench too.

Edit: Mancgull has beaten me to it

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
.................................... Verbruggen ................................

Lamptey ..... van Hecke ..... Dunk ..... Estupiñan

..................... Groß ...... Baleba ....... Gilmour ................

....................................... Buananotte ...................................

.............................. Welbeck ...... Enciso .............................

Be tempted to go for something a bit different - 3 in the middle with Baleba filling in at the back while Lamps and Perv bomb down the wings. Pretty sure I remember Baleba playing that role well somewhere recently. I should caveat this with saying I have absolutely no idea what sort of formation Roma play or what kind of threat they pose.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Giving this a little bump. I'd go...

Verbruggen
Veltman, van Hecke, Dunk, Pervis
Gross, Gilmour
Lamptey, Buonanotte, Adingra
Welbeck​

Lamptey and Veltman starting allows us to easily switch from a back four to a back three in/out of possession...

With Fati, Enciso, Ferguson, Baleba, Moder, Igor, Lallana providing options from the bench.
I'd be happy with that but put Ferguson ahead of Welbeck. Bring Welbeck on second half if needed.

Jimmy Grimble

.................................... Verbruggen ................................

Lamptey ..... van Hecke ..... Dunk ..... Estupiñan

..................... Groß ...... Baleba ....... Gilmour ................

....................................... Buananotte ...................................

.............................. Welbeck ...... Enciso .............................

Be tempted to go for something a bit different - 3 in the middle with Baleba filling in at the back while Lamps and Perv bomb down the wings. Pretty sure I remember Baleba playing that role well somewhere recently. I should caveat this with saying I have absolutely no idea what sort of formation Roma play or what kind of threat they pose.
I liked @HCxUK’s selection but actually am now wondering if it would be better to have that extra defensive body in midfield. Either way we simply have to keep it tight in the first leg so we have something to play for at home.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Early goals against us seem to be fatal recently so I would like to see us attack early so even if Enciso can’t do 90mins I’d sooner see him starting than coming on late when we might be chasing the game with them heavily defending a lead.

Bart

Dunk and Van Hecke + any 2 available

Gross Gilmour

Buanonotte
Enciso
Welbeck
Adingra

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here