Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for QPR

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Heatmaps showed Dale Stephens (63 touches) was dominant on the right hand side of midfield (although he was disposed four or five times: a lot. The combined touches of Skalak and Sidwell was 63 (both substituted though).

In short I think all things being equal we are better served by a left footer which means Solly March instead of Jiri Skalak. Ideally we would have a left footer instead of Sidwell. Although Sidwell might be better than Norwood on his left peg if his long range goal is a guide. So I've talked myself into preferring Sidwell to Norwood by a short straw.

Two home games in quick succession so their will be some rotation. My inclination is to play 4-4-1-1 away from home with Knockaert in the hole behind the striker which will have to Murray on our travels.

I like one inverted winger and one conventional winger of we play two wingers (as usual).

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085080/Live/England-Championship-2016-2017-Birmingham-Brighton

disposed ??? :lolol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Edit: Double Post.

I don't think we currently have the midfielders to play a central 3. If we had a central attacking midfielder like Tex then we may well see a change in formation and drop to 1 striker but not at home against QPR or Cardiff

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Defence unchanged. Bong didn't do badly on Saturday but did need some help. Besides after bringing him back Hughton won't drop him after one game.

Stephens was man marked by Kieftenbeld on Saturday so moved wide to get the ball but it left Sidwell exposed and restricted us going forward. If other sides use that tactic a rapid change to a three man midfield is a good idea. For now though leave alone. Norwood is best probing forward and less effective defensively so our strongest all round pairing is Sidwell and Stephens.

Wings Knockaert and March each on their favoured wing. Still feel Skalak will most often be the better option away from home as he offers better defensive cover but at home I would have Murphy on the bench.

Murray and Baldock is a no-brainer for me.

Respect your views, given your experience.

Stephens often drops wide to help create the Bruno/Knockeart/Stephens triangle that has been the source of much of our creativity in the last year. I would go with Norwood against QPR to be more attacking/creative. Otherwise, agree with your team, although I would be just as happy with Pocognoli at LB.

PG

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don't think we currently have the midfielders to play a central 3. If we had a central attacking midfielder like Tex then we may well see a change in formation and drop to 1 striker but not at home against QPR or Cardiff

Hence why I think we'll only change to a 4-3-3 away from home. Norwood sitting in the middle and spraying balls about whilst Kayal and Stephens do the legwork could work in games where we want to shut up shop and try to grind out a 1-0 win. However, we've already travelled to a lot of the places where it would have been an option (Newcastle, Wednesday, Derby) and we may already be home and dry before we play away to Norwich & Villa.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If I thought dropping Baldock, a player with incredible work ethic who stretches defenses with his running just so we pack the midfield against a team we should be looking to attack then I'd yes, I am one of them.

Norwood/Stephens/Sidwell is too similar to the Crofts/Norwood/Stephens midfield that came up short against Cardiff. There might be games this season where Hughton decides to play a 3 man midfield but I think he'll A) wait until Kayal as back as we need somebody like him in the three for it to work well & B) play it away from home when it gets to the point in the season where a draw is a good result for us. Huddersfield away is the first time I think we'll see it.

Crofts/Norwood/Stephens - don't think these 3 have played together.

In the layout I showed it was actually an attack minded formation with Norwood player as far upfront as permissible ( a role which kayal could do better).

So what would be your starting 11 for QPR...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hence why I think we'll only change to a 4-3-3 away from home. Norwood sitting in the middle and spraying balls about whilst Kayal and Stephens do the legwork could work in games where we want to shut up shop and try to grind out a 1-0 win. However, we've already travelled to a lot of the places where it would have been an option (Newcastle, Wednesday, Derby) and we may already be home and dry before we play away to Norwich & Villa.

My format was not 433 but 4213 or could be 424 - not there to pack the defence but to have better striking options up front for QPR & Cardiff games. I know Baldock stretches defences but so will March and AK.

I don't think Norwood is strong enough in defence when we play 2 man central midfield but I would like to see his passing and crossing in the game as he probably does more than Skalak so in my team Norwood is probably in for Baldock

That said it will clearly depend on QPRs tactics but I would expect both them and Cardiff to pack their defence so we need ball players who can run at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here