"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
-------------------------- Kuszczak -------------------------
Bruno ---------- El Abd ----------- Upson ----------- Ward
David ------------------- Bridcutt ----------------- Lua Lua
------------- Crofts --------------------- Ince --------------
-------------------------- Ulloa -----------------------------

I think I'd start with Leo over Ash, but only because he ruined Huddersfield last season. Perhaps brief Barnes that he can expect a full half as I'd be surprised to see Leo last an entire game. Kuszak over Brezovan obviously, and Lua Lua in Conway's absence.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My favourite kind of thread.

Good to see that [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] has had a look at Huddersfield and how they set up, I often find that us fans just pick our XI without consideration to the opposition. So in all likeliness they'll be playing five across midfield which will be hard to pass through. A good way of negating this is knocking the ball over the top, only three at the back means they will be narrow leaving space down the wings. So pace down the wings seems to be the order of the day, and the attacking midfielders getting forward to support the centre forward. With that in mind:

Kuszczak

Calderon~El-Abd~Upson~Ward

Buckley~Crofts~Bridcutt~Ince~Lualua

Barnes (Ulloa)​

You could possibly use Dave instead of Crofts to fling those lovely weighted passes (backspin) down the flanks, although we'll miss Crofty's presence in the box.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Vaughan being back for them is a big difference but so pleased with Adam's form coming back in. Only 2 games but possibly playing his best ever all round

Is he back? I haven't seen anything to suggest either way. He's a real threat and will keep our CB's (whoever they are) fully occupied. Bridcutt will hopefully put in a stellar performance

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sigh...so play him from the start and give him 60-70 match minutes instead of 20. He's easily our best goal scorer, even at 80%.

That bloke with the dodgy barnet who ran the show for Bournemouth hadn't played in 10 weeks or something. He looked sharp enough.

No, l'm with hybrid on this one. Ash has been doing well as Leo's deputy, and been amongst the goals lately as well, so I'd let him start, Be nice to see Leo come off the bench for the last 15, 20 minutes or so. He needs to be brought back to match fitness gently. Certainly don't want to risk him breaking down again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He needs to be brought back to match fitness gently. Certainly don't want to risk him breaking down again.
So start Leo, and bring him off if he tires badly. This is exactly what Poyet did for Ulloa's debut (against Arsenal) and there were no lasting effects.

It might suit Barnes, too - I can't see a rest doing Barnes any harm at all.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So start Leo, and bring him off if he tires badly. This is exactly what Poyet did for Ulloa's debut (against Arsenal) and there were no lasting effects.

It might suit Barnes, too - I can't see a rest doing Barnes any harm at all.

Because nothing went wrong last time Ulloa started a game when he wasn't 100% match fit?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Because nothing went wrong last time Ulloa started a game when he wasn't 100% match fit?

The break has healed; he wouldn't be doing full training 5 days a week otherwise. Not being 'match fit' doesn't make you more susceptible to injury. It just means you might not be as sharp or have the stamina to play 90 minutes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
sigh.....a player needs match minutes áfter a long lay off.....not a whole game.....this is how sharpness and intensity works.....slowly.
No one said to play him for the whole game. Also, no one knows exactly how many minutes he could play for, so if he started the game, then he could play for as many minutes as his body allows. Put him on later and you'll either get less minutes, or you risk him being knackered when you've already taken the other striker (presumably Barnes) off. I expect Ulloa will be on the bench, and that's fine, but suggesting he starts is hardly an idea worthy of a sigh.

The Leicester game proved if we are on our game no one can live with us.
Well not quite. It's not like they were at their best on the day.

Brez deserves to keep his place
No he definitely doesn't. We should be very grateful for how well he's played, but Kuszczak deserves his place, when fit. Just because Brez has done well for two games, that doesn't mean he deserves to be ahead of the best goalie I can ever remember us having.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

That was because he hadn't recovered from a knock he picked up against Burnley. The injury should be healed so I'd hope he'd be fit enough to play an hour or so.

I'd go:

Kuszscak

Bruno
El-Abd
Upson
Ward

Bridcutt
Ince
Agustien

Buckley
Ulloa
Lua Lua

Subs:

Brez
Greer
Calderon
Crofts
Lopez
Barnes
Lita

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just a winning one please, Oscar

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A busy period coming up. I would use Leo for the last 20mins when hopefully if he is a bit off the pace the opposition will have been run ragged by KLL.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Just a thought.....

Barnes to start on the left hand side in place of Conway, wouldn't be the first time he's played in that position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Barnes will start and Ulloa will come off of the bench for 30mins or if needed possibly at half time and then be in contention to start at Charlton. The only changes being Kuszczak for Brezovan and possibly Buckley or Lua Lua for Conway

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Start Ulloa, Kaz for Conway but something tells me Barnes will play instead on Conway. Conway will feed Ulloa loads of decent crosses gutted he's not available till jan (assuming he resings for us)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here