Team for Blackpool...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Kuszczak

Bruno~El-Abd~Upson~Ward

Buckley~Ince~Bridcutt~Lualua

Barnes~Ulloa​

Subs: Brezovan, Calderon, Agustien, Crofts, Greer, Orlandi, Lopez.

4-4-2. That team looks pretty balanced to me.

This but swap Bridcutt for Crofts and Buckley for Orlandi. Both look lacklustre at the moment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This but swap Bridcutt for Crofts and Buckley for Orlandi. Both look lacklustre at the moment.
Fair shout. Can't see us going 4-4-2 even though it seems to fit the players we've got.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kuszczak

Bruno~El-Abd~Upson~Ward

Buckley~Ince~Bridcutt~Lualua

Barnes~Ulloa​

Subs: Brezovan, Calderon, Agustien, Crofts, Greer, Orlandi, Lopez.

4-4-2. That team looks pretty balanced to me.

Agustein for Barnes and Orlandi for Lua Lua with both on the bench to be brought on if needed taking into account we are away from home.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
IMHO, there is no way, away from home, Oscar will start Leo and Ashley, nor Kaz and Buckley.
Blackpool are quite physical and Paul Ince is fast in midfield.
I think Orlandi and either Rohan or Kemy will start.
Pig.
Bruno/Calde, Upson, AEA/Dunk( I dont think Greer is ready), Ward
Bridcutt, Croft, Orkandi, Rohan/Kemy, Kaz.
Ulloa

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The radio didnt say as such but inferred that Brezovan could and should have done better with the 2nd and 3rd goals.

They didn't blame him, but they did ask if he could have done better.

Having seen the goals on soccer extra this morning I think the commentators are being unfair on Brez. The second he was going to one side preparing to dive low but the shot went into the top corner(ish) and the change of direction made Brez more squat and that body shape is one of the reasons they thought he might have done better. That change of direction is something that undoes a lot of keepers.

With the third he set up the wall to cover the right of his goal then stood left of centre to cover the left of the goal. It's what every goalkeeper is supposed to do in such situations. It's what Ankergren and Kuszczak would have done in that situation. It was a free-kick that went over the wall and in close to the post. He had no chance, and neither would have Kuszczak or Ankergren.

To expect him to do better with either is unfair.

I think that he should have got the 2nd goal and the 3rd was bad positioning by him surely the idea of the wall is to stop them aiming at one corner and him covering the other.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think that he should have got the 2nd goal and the 3rd was bad positioning by him surely the idea of the wall is to stop them aiming at one corner and him covering the other.

It went in the corner of the wall. He would have been unsighted if he had stood (behind the wall) where the ball ended up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The radio didnt say as such but inferred that Brezovan could and should have done better with the 2nd and 3rd goals.

It went in the corner of the wall. He would have been unsighted if he had stood (behind the wall) where the ball ended up.

I didnt say that he should have been behind the wall, but he should have been in a position to cover the top corner, mind you many keepers fail to do that.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Watching the freekick on TV only, my main impression was that Brez was flat footed. The free kick was expertly placed up and over the wall, so no fault of his for that,
but Brez wasnt on the balls of his feet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That was what happened!

The wall was supposed to be covering the right side of the goal while he was covering the left (from the keeper's perspective). The ball went in right side, close to the right hand post. He was positioned as most keepers would say he should be. It was a very good free kick that would have gone in regardless of which of our keepers were in goal.

A wall won't stop every shot that goes to their side of the goal. Sometimes the wall collapses, sometimes the players turn away and leave gaps, sometimes they jump and the ball goes under them, sometimes it goes over them, sometimes a massively swerving ball allows it to go around, or more commonly, a goal will be scored when a well taken free kick goes over the wall and gets back down and is close enough to the post to be too far for the keeper to get back across to. While the charlton goal wasn't impressive, it was a good free kick that went in close to the goal post on the side of the goal the wall was covering. It wasn't the keeper's fault and no championship keeper would have done better. Not even Kuszczak. It is simply wrong to question Brez for that one.

I think "should" have got the second is too strong. To have got to that he would have bad to have seen the ball being played across and thought "he's hitting this high" and dived to cover the top half of the goal. That isn't a natural instinct for a keeper - diving lower is, and if he had done that and the Charlton player hit it low along the ground people would be criticising him for jumping so high. As I saw it, he saw the ball going across and was shaping to dive low and as he was about to dive the ball went high and he couldn't readjust, which caused him to lose balance and squat as the shot came in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Watching the freekick on TV only, my main impression was that Brez was flat footed. The free kick was expertly placed up and over the wall, so no fault of his for that,
but Brez wasnt on the balls of his feet.

I think he just knew he was beaten. I think even if he wasn't flat footed, he wasn't stopping it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We can argue all day long the stats show that we conceded 3 goals, so time to bring back the true No 1 and best keeper we have now and have had for a long time, Kuszczak

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
No they shouldn't, at least it wasn't what I was taught on the John Keeley goalkeeping course I went on, nor is it what commentators say many many times when covering set pieces. That just makes a wall entirely pointless and you'd be better off man marking because the wall serves no purpose other than to tie up the defenders leaving oppositon players free to get to any rebounds.. The point of a wall is to significantly limit where the free kick taker can aim the ball. You get the wall to cover one side, then the keeper covers the other, if they manage to get the ball over or around the wall, and close enough to the post you just have to accept it was a well taken free kick, sometimes keepers just have no chance with a shot some dive out of habit, some realise they're beaten and don't. Brez knew he was beaten.

Why not put an extra body on the line can never understand why it is never done

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wonder if Ulloa will start again...first full ninety in ages and him saying that he was only 70% there....and only one clear day recovery before back on the coach to Blackpool...wonder if they will fly part of the way

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We had a decent bench in the last game, I can see a lot of those players getting a start.

PIG

Calde
Greer
Upson
Ward

Ince
Bridcutt
Agustien

Barnes
Kaz

Ulloa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports