Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers Strike

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Of some age I guess... 4yrs of study to come out at 25k and hardly a rapid increase

In the order of the salaries - 15 years service, 7 years service and 13 years service. I'm sorry but £25k straight out on Uni is a reasonable salary. As with every other professions you build up your salary over time. I have little sympathy when teachers claim to be hard done by. Oh, all three of the previously mentioned teachers are NOT striking today.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
In the order of the salaries - 15 years service, 7 years service and 13 years service. I'm sorry but £25k straight out on Uni is a reasonable salary. As with every other professions you build up your salary over time. I have little sympathy when teachers claim to be hard done by. Oh, all three of the previously mentioned teachers are NOT striking today.

Scabs!

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

Yep my wife has been studying for the best part of 3 years at uni to become a community mental health nurse, her starting salary is 21k, and for that she only gets 4 weeks holiday not 12!!!

Teachers get back to school!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My wife is a teacher, and she is not on strike.

She comes from a different background as most teachers, she has generally been self employed all of her life, never is ill, never could be, couldnt afford any sort of pension, 16 hour days and hardly a day off and never knowing if there would be any profit at the end of the month.

She went back to Uni got her degree and is now a very very good teacher.

Its an unexplainably tiring job, something those that are not near the profession would ever understand, but you are privileged to have a monthly guaranteed salary and other benefits, it can be quite a decent wage as you become more experienced.

I kinda expected a far more militant union involvement in the profession but its all quite passive, so I support the right to the action, but perhaps some have left school gone to college then university and then a guaranteed salary as a teacher, some do not know how lucky they are.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

No - it's called choice. Had it occurred to you that maybe the reason the teachers I know earn those salaries do so because they've worked hard and got on with the job they are paid to do rather than playing union politics ?

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
No - it's called choice. Had it occurred to you that maybe the reason the teachers I know earn those salaries do so because they've worked hard and got on with the job they are paid to do rather than playing union politics ?

Im glad they work hard....they will be there till 67....lets hope they can keep up

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
BWxgFYHIcAAYxAu.jpg

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Im glad they work hard....they will be there till 67....lets hope they can keep up

God forbid a teacher having to work until the same age as everybody else.

How do you react when you encounter real problems :lol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good luck to them.

Time Gove realised that punitive measures bought in to manage performance don't work; also his regressive attitude to the curriculum is wrong (going back to the 3R's and one examination at the end of term doesn't work); and also how about encouraging people into teaching - at the moment wages and pensions are in free-fall. We need to attract future talent into teaching and we're not really creating the conditions (pay and work environment) which would make people consider it.

I'm not a teacher, but I recognise how tough a job it is. Take the pressure of teaching 30 kids each day non-stop and hour by hour and then throw on top of that all the misguided changes and the erosion of their reward package and I can understand why they are justifiably angry.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

As will most of the rest of the working population. Seriously, teachers are better paid than average, have higher holidays than average and get better pensions than average. When it comes to their packages they have nothing to complain about. If they were complaining about the stupid amount of paperwork and red tape they have to deal with then I'd have some sympathy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't need to. I know quite a few teachers and even they think the reasons why the NUT are going on strike is ridiculous and just an excuse for another day off.

I find that hard to believe.

It's fairly well reported that teachers are saying the reasons behind this strike are strong. It is well reported that Gove has lost the teachers - both rank and file, and the heads.

Perhaps some NSC teachers will give their view.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Do they need to? It seems to me that the vast majority of teachers currently retire early (after perhaps going part time, taking a couple of days a week off, in the last few years), as they can afford to sacrifice some of their very generous pensions.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I think you'll find they are all losing a day's pay.

Maybe that saving the LA are making should be pooled and parents that are out of pocket due to the strike can make claims against it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here