Teacher Strike

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ok then. Here is a 2011 list of pay.

My trade is number 119 on the list, no holiday pay, no 13weeks holiday, no pension, no sick pay etc
Teachers are numbers 27, 62, 80, 84. Even special needs teachers who only do a one day a week 2 year course come in at number 74, and the holidays, pension and sick pay apply to all.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...2011-Tables-official-figures-UK-salaries.html

Oh and Construction trades come in at 221.......

Get a better job?
I get no hol pay, sick etc but I don't compare myself to teachers because my job is only important to me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

My trade is number 119 on the list, no holiday pay, no 13weeks holiday, no pension, no sick pay etc
Teachers are numbers 27, 62, 80, 84. Even special needs teachers who only do a one day a week 2 year course come in at number 74, and the holidays, pension and sick pay apply to all.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...2011-Tables-official-figures-UK-salaries.html

You should become a teacher.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Similarly if teachers think they are hard done by and need to keep threatening strike action, then they are free to try another job also.

Why should they?

I see it differently. I actually admire people for allowing their voices to be heard, making a stand and not wanting to be continually screwed over in the profession, or any thing for that matter. If more people acted like this and said enough is enough the country would be a much better place. If you want to get the best out of the teaching profession you need to respect them, pay them well and stop continually meddling with the system. Surely no one can disagree with this?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You should become a teacher.

I would like to teach the practical side of my trade. Too many adults just go to college and get the theory papers and pass exams, only to come on site with absolutely no knowledge of the practical side. An apprenticeship should be mainly on site practical experience with college teaching in between.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thing is with electrical work pretty much anyone with half a brain could pick it up a month or two, teaching takes commitment, adaptability, intelligence. Sparky's do a 6 hour day, charge over the odds and spend hours on a simple job.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why should they?

I see it differently. I actually admire people for allowing their voices to be heard, making a stand and not wanting to be continually screwed over in the profession, or any thing for that matter. If more people acted like this and said enough is enough the country would be a much better place. If you want to get the best out of the teaching profession you need to respect them, pay them well and stop continually meddling with the system. Surely no one can disagree with this?

No i do not disagree. I still think that their pay is good, and their benefits are good. If they want to make a stand every time many others have to tighten their belts and get no pay increases or better conditions, then surely you can see why many do not have a great deal of sympathy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Are you self employed?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No i do not disagree. I still think that their pay is good, and their benefits are good. If they want to make a stand every time many others have to tighten their belts and get no pay increases or better conditions, then surely you can see why many do not have a great deal of sympathy.

The same people will be outraged when there's a teacher shortage and little Faraq needs teaching.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thing is with electrical work pretty much anyone with half a brain could pick it up a month or two, teaching takes commitment, adaptability, intelligence. Sparky's do a 6 hour day, charge over the odds and spend hours on a simple job.

Not even worth a reply. You are either thick or having a wind up. Nice one, i nearly bit.
On your theory i reckon it would take you about 4 months to pick it up eh. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lack of sympathy is one argument, the naked hatred being shown by some is something else and something I do not understand.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tory tricks. Look at the greedy teachers, they want everything while you have nothing. Look at the benefit scroungers stealing food from kid's mouths. You right wing numbskulls fall for it time and time again.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

I wouldn't expect an electrician to be as highly paid as a post graduate profession.

The closest to your profession who would hold a degree and could be considered like for like with teachers are electronics engineers, where are they? Let's look - oh yes, right up there at number 20.

Teachers are numbers 27,

No, 27 is University lecturers, a completely different career path.

That's the correct one, well secondary anyway.

I assume that's primary, as secondary are specified elsewhere.

That would be people in edicational research presumably, although the categories are not very clear.

Even special needs teachers who only do a one day a week 2 year course come in at number 74, and the holidays, pension and sick pay apply to all.[/url]

No, that's actual teachers in special needs, ones with a full teaching qualification. People who do the course you're on about are special needs assistants who get paid a lot less.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't think there will be a teacher shortage. I think most teachers know that they are not too badly off.

It's more that we love our job, despite all the beaurocracy and hatred that we have to put up with, and that we care about what we do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think there will be a teacher shortage. I think most teachers know that they are not too badly off.

You avoided my question. Are you self employed ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Give it time. Anyway, you clearly know nothing about it. Teaching provides a fairly good living. So does my job but if someone tried to get one over on me I'd protest or get my union onto them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
See my post above

Admirable stuff, I'm sure you worked hard for those quals. However, did you have to have them all in place before you qualified? Sounds like they were done WHILST you were working on your 28k job rather than having to get into serious debt at university for several years before you could even start earning. Also, for the record, as much as you seem very happy to band this 35k figure around (and I am genuinely not sure where it comes from), I should point out that as a teacher with several years experience and an additional responsibility at my school, I am also on about 28k...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

There already is, you seen the size of some of those classes?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Give it time. Anyway, you clearly know nothing about it. Teaching provides a fairly good living. So does my job but if someone tried to get one over on me I'd protest or get my union onto them.

No i clearly know nothing about it. My cousin was a Deputy Head, one of my best mates wife is a teacher, as is my ex wife, we never speak about it. Your job has something to do with teaching does it.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports