Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure you could but I stand by my remark due to the very fact many well qualified people are not able to achieve anywhere near the levels of pay teachers achieve due to the current financial situation. That is what my remark relates to, believe I'm not knocking the profession of teaching.

Secondly whilst I am currently running a smallholding my qualifications relate to the aeronautical industry, to which I hold an ONC, HNC, degree in aeronautical studies, CAA/JAA licenses, FAA licenses, and used to have company approvals which have now lapsed due to me no longer working for BA. This necessitated an ongoing appraisal, an oral examination every three years, classroom based training of approx. 5 weeks every year all the basic salary of £28000, oh and working nights, weekends, bank holidays even Christmas Day!

Basic salary? Come on, what were you really paid?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am now really looking forward to the next thread on farming and have a few stock lazy generalisations ready to fire off. Should be fun

Having worked on a farm ( admittedly not as a farmer ) I can assure you that most farmers earn their ( normally pittance ) money many times over many professions including teaching.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having worked on a farm ( admittedly not as a farmer ) I can assure you that most farmers earn their ( normally pittance ) money many times over many professions including teaching.

Oh do behave. If fox hunting is all farmers have to worry about then it's a cushy number.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Basic salary? Come on, what were you really paid?

My last year with BA as an licensed engineer (not in management) was just over £32000 this included shift pay (working bank holidays etc) that was in 2001, I have spoken with a friend who is still there and he is now on £36000. I haven't included overtime in that but its for a basic 37.5 hour week (1 hour each day for lunch breaks are unpaid!) 28 days holiday.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm sure you could but I stand by my remark due to the very fact many well qualified people are not able to achieve anywhere near the levels of pay teachers achieve due to the current financial situation. That is what my remark relates to, believe I'm not knocking the profession of teaching.

Secondly whilst I am currently running a smallholding my qualifications relate to the aeronautical industry, to which I hold an ONC, HNC, degree in aeronautical studies, CAA/JAA licenses, FAA licenses, and used to have company approvals which have now lapsed due to me no longer working for BA. This necessitated an ongoing appraisal, an oral examination every three years, classroom based training of approx. 5 weeks every year all the basic salary of £28000, oh and working nights, weekends, bank holidays even Christmas Day!

Shit sorry, I kind of assumed all farmers were inbred moaning *******s, living off fat EU grants, paying themselves a pittance but somehow living in grand houses in the country, whilst driving massive expensive cars. Seems I stand corrected.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Don't get me started on construction. Why don't you go and work in Germany and find out how to do the job properly ? In this country we have barely progressed from throwing cow shit at the walls.

A statement from a person that knows nothing about the construction industry.
Why do you think that in the past the British tradesmen in my line of work were welcomed into other countries. Why do you think that a Sparks in the USA was welcomed and got their green card because their apprenticeship covered all aspects of the electrical trade and not just a part of it like their electricians are taught.
Why do you think British tradesmen were brought over to work in the Middle East, Holland, Germany etc. I'll tell you why, because the electrical apprenticeship of old was the best and envy of the world. Unfortunately our standards and regs have been dumbed down to fall in line with European regs.
So we come to foreign tradesmen, who work hard but are barely qualified, work on sites as "qualified" sparks for a while, then plumbers on the next job, chippies and so it goes on.
I suspect in your ignorance you do not realise that NOW our JIB (which to enlighten your lack of knowledge is the industries governing body) are sending out teachers to train the Eastern Europeans (which our contributions pay for) and when they get qualified they are guaranteed a job in England where the cost of their training, by US is paid back out of their salaries. In affect WE are paying for them to get jobs over here, which explains why MY trade has not seen an increase in pay since 2004, unlike the teachers eh.
So when you come out with an off the cuff statement remember that around the world OUR construction industry is thought very highly of. Which is why recently most of Dubai (take at look at the construction there eh) was designed, engineered and constructed by those from this country.
Now have a look at how easy it is for proper "time served" British tradesmen to get into and reside in other countries. I think you will find the points system welcomes our qualified tradesmen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My last year with BA as an licensed engineer (not in management) was just over £32000 this included shift pay (working bank holidays etc) that was in 2001, I have spoken with a friend who is still there and he is now on £36000. I haven't included overtime in that but its for a basic 37.5 hour week (1 hour each day for lunch breaks are unpaid!) 28 days holiday.

Okay. So the rate for your job is circa 40k with some over time and you have drawn some interesting parallels with teaching qualifications, training and constant monitoring. So, if I wanted to compare the average teacher salary to the private world 40k would seem reasonable.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Shit sorry, I kind of assumed all farmers were inbred moaning *******s, living off fat EU grants, paying themselves a pittance but somehow living in grand houses in the country, whilst driving massive expensive cars. Seems I stand corrected.

Seems you assume a lot, use a lot of expletives, and were a victim of some of the poor teachers mentioned that are amongst the good in our education system.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm against fox hunting, next.

Glad to hear this. I was being facetious by making some crud ill-informed generalisations about an industry I know little about, as seems to be the case with many on this thread.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Okay. So the rate for your job is circa 40k with some over time and you have drawn some interesting parallels with teaching qualifications, training and constant monitoring. So, if I wanted to compare the average teacher salary to the private world 40k would seem reasonable.

You maybe right but with the overtime that would mean the private world is working just as long as the teachers normal hours but without all the weekends/bank holidays and 13 weeks holidays. So taking everything into consideration the teachers pay and conditions are not far removed from the private sector and considering most of the private sector are having next to nothing increases and many fear their jobs going the teacher's lot isn't that bad. That's the point I'm making, teachers should be paid well but only what the conditions can afford just like everyone else they are not a special case. Not slagging off teachers at all, many are very good, but they have to realise they're are not alone the majority are in it too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd be more than happy to do this if I got 13 weeks holiday!! :D

Maybe that's what should happen, reduce their package to 12 weeks holiday. Use that extra 5 days for any training days necessary so it doesn't disrupt teaching the kids.

Teachers are in school that week getting ready for a new term. You are a ****. To sum up.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
why are school car parks empty at 8am & again at 6pm, with all those 10 hour a day workers hard at it?

I spend most of my evenings working as well as my sundays. I usually do this at home. My work day at school is usually 8 til 5. The position of a teacher's car is a poor indicator of the work being done.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Don't get me started on construction. Why don't you go and work in Germany and find out how to do the job properly ? In this country we have barely progressed from throwing cow shit at the walls.

I'l give you a couple of examples to your stupid uninformed statement.
Cheap unskilled tradesmen brought over from the EU for cost cutting. The construction of Wembley, the work that had to be done again, the pitch for example that had to be dug up and all the drainage done properly because the Turkish workers were shoddy.
A big building in London which had Eastern European "welders" who's welds were below 40% after pressure testing and British welders were brought in from everywhere and were being paid £50 and hour to put the job right and get the job out on time to avoid penalty clauses. For your information penalty clauses are implemented if a job runs over the completion date and can be as much as 1million a day on big constructions.
So think on when you come out with weak statements, these are just a couple of many examples, which is why as i stated that the teachers in MY industry are going over and teaching in European countries. Why, well obviously it is not to teach them in the art of "throwing cow shit at the walls", something you seem full of.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You maybe right but with the overtime that would mean the private world is working just as long as the teachers normal hours but without all the weekends/bank holidays and 13 weeks holidays. So taking everything into consideration the teachers pay and conditions are not far removed from the private sector and considering most of the private sector are having next to nothing increases and many fear their jobs going the teacher's lot isn't that bad. That's the point I'm making, teachers should be paid well but only what the conditions can afford just like everyone else they are not a special case. Not slagging off teachers at all, many are very good, but they have to realise they're are not alone the majority are in it too.

Good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here