Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TB and the board

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
An extra 1,000 on the gate brings in about £370,000 in revenue over a season, once you subtract VAT and the travel subsidy. We lost £10.2 million last season, so would need an extra 27,500 to attend the Amex each home game to balance the books.

I might have missed something so apologies if I did but how do you arrive at £370k? Surely 1000 at the gate = 23000 over the course of the season and at an average of say £30 per ticket, that's £690,000. Even if the ticket price is an average of £25 that's £575,000. Add in additional revenue for concession sales and it will be more although not sure that info is available.

Apologies, just seen your ref to VAT and travel subsidies.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just a thought from an idiot Brighton fan. If we lose so much money each season and cant afford to buy good / better players because of FFP, how can we always get money into the club to build. The hotel is under construction now how if we lose so much money each year. If it were me I would probably Invest in the team first, get bigger crowds and match day revenues , bonus for finishing higher up the league more TV games becuase your doing well etc = more money = balanced books = pays for Hotel???.

Fairly sure the hotel will be a separate entity that just happens to built adjacent to the stadium. Money to build it won't come from football club - ie won't affect losses as far as FFP accounts are concerned. Also, profits made from it won't be fed directly back in to the football club; although chances are that they will, indirectly, via Tony Bloom's personal wealth.

I don't know why people are getting so wound up abut this hotel as if the money to build it is somehow depriving the playing budget. It's just another business venture by Tony Bloom - good luck to him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just a thought from an idiot Brighton fan. If we lose so much money each season and cant afford to buy good / better players because of FFP, how can we always get money into the club to build. The hotel is under construction now how if we lose so much money each year. If it were me I would probably Invest in the team first, get bigger crowds and match day revenues , bonus for finishing higher up the league more TV games becuase your doing well etc = more money = balanced books = pays for Hotel???.

At the beginning of this year you've decided to fund the playing budget/fees a sum higher than ever before. Bloom has insisted this in most public forums this year. Barber confirmed it in an interview last week.
Thats more than 2012/13. Thats more than last season. Thats on this set of players that have finished 20th in the table (or even worse) . This is mostly coming out of your own money and you're already invested £205m . How much more should you spend given its your money and you want the club at some point to be sustainable and not making £10m losses a year.

How much to spend to guarantee you finish in the top 6 because after all its down to how much you spend. Another £5m. Another 10m ? How much ? What you spend = where you finish in the league ? Yep ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We are setting ourselves up for a fall. Many on this site have already decided Bloom will splash the cash in the summer and we will be top 6 again. I subscribe to the view that we will scrape together a decent enough side to stay in the division and this is how things will continue until the Academy starts producing.

Needless to say that there will be meltdown again on this forum unless it is saved by us playing attractive football and scoring lots of goals. I think most have already decided if that is likely or not!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Big picture thinking... ultimately it doesn't matter if we are relegated. Yes, a lot of fans will be p*ssed off, the club's revenues will drop and we'll have an uphill struggle to get back to where we are now. But we will be playing league football, in a ground that is in the city and fit for purpose, with a top-of-the-range academy which WILL produce quality players who will bring in both results and money in the long term.

Nobody has sold our home to developers, the club aren't going into administration causing financial problems for numerous local business who will only get 2p in the £ on their debts and there isn't a vote due by the FL on whether we can continue to be a functioning, professional football club.

We've been relegated before and, as sure as eggs are eggs, we will be relegated again at some time in the future. It never has and it will never will be the thing that kills this club.

Reality check... This has been a sh*t season with drab, unexciting football, poor squad additions and dismal results (and I really can't wait for it to be over - I've hated it). But, ffs... we have had worse seasons than this!

Sadly this sums it up no ambition! fans and board alike! How this gets 22 thumbs up from so called supporters defies logic! What you have said here is ludicrous "Ultimately it doesn't matter if we are relegated" I think you and 22 others need the reality check ffs supporters who think it doesn't matter if we get relegated listen to yourself's disgraceful:facepalm:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
They've said WE'VE ( that is Mr Bloom and Mr Barber) got plenty of things wrong this season? Really? I apologise then but I haven't seen anything that states that. I'd like to see one of these statements where they accept the responsibility, rather than blaming someone else.

"It has been a very disappointing season. I think by our own recent high standards of what we expected to get out of this season, we have just not delivered at the level we expected to."

"...come christmas time, the league table was what it was , we were in a poor position, much much poorer that we should have been, very very disappointed to be there and clearly it wasn't good enough and for that we all have to share some responsibility, of course we do"

Paul Barber, the Albion Roar 18th April 2015.

In management speak, that is pretty scathing really.

The season has not finished yet, but I would imagine that once it has, TB will do his usual end of season interview and state things along similar lines. I have no doubt that TB is extremely disappointed, not least because he has put his faith and a vast amount of money in people who, for whatever reason, have not delivered this year as he and we expected.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sadly this sums it up no ambition! fans and board alike! How this gets 22 thumbs up from so called supporters defies logic! What you have said here is ludicrous "Ultimately it doesn't matter if we are relegated" I think you and 22 others need the reality check ffs supporters who think it doesn't matter if we get relegated listen to yourself's disgraceful:facepalm:
Why? Relegation to the 3rd division didn't cause Southampton too many worries. They re-built and are now in the strongest position I can ever remember them being in. Besides, we're not going down.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Big picture thinking... ultimately it doesn't matter if we are relegated. Yes, a lot of fans will be p*ssed off, the club's revenues will drop and we'll have an uphill struggle to get back to where we are now. But we will be playing league football, in a ground that is in the city and fit for purpose, with a top-of-the-range academy which WILL produce quality players who will bring in both results and money in the long term.

Nobody has sold our home to developers, the club aren't going into administration causing financial problems for numerous local business who will only get 2p in the £ on their debts and there isn't a vote due by the FL on whether we can continue to be a functioning, professional football club.

We've been relegated before and, as sure as eggs are eggs, we will be relegated again at some time in the future. It never has and it will never will be the thing that kills this club.

Reality check... This has been a sh*t season with drab, unexciting football, poor squad additions and dismal results (and I really can't wait for it to be over - I've hated it). But, ffs... we have had worse seasons than this!

Reality check - relegation would be catastrophic for the future of this club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed.

Relegation means the last 4 years of Championship losses are all down the drain.

That must be around 35 million.

We were building for promotion. All thrown away by 1 relegation.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why do we appear to be the only club that has suffered because of FFP and others with smaller crowds less Sky revenue for televised games etc have prospered.

This question is a good one. Your first post was a car crash.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Why? Relegation to the 3rd division didn't cause Southampton too many worries. They re-built and are now in the strongest position I can ever remember them being in. Besides, we're not going down.

I never said we are going down read the post that it is relative too!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This is not true support. And don't be so ****ing complacent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All this talk about whether TB is going to splash the cash in the summer or not worries me. He is already spending, what - £7 or £8M a year? - just to keep us afloat. Who else would want to effectively spend that much on a season ticket, albeit a luxury one? And if he decides this year to award himself a hefty loyalty discount, who could blame him?
This brings me on to the stadium. Beautiful as it is, did we get the business model right? 'Build it and they will come' - fine, thousands do, but it's still losing money. TB has employed a top CEO to maximise revenues and reduce costs; he's probably doing very good job, but it's still nowhere near breaking even. To put it simply, have we in fact built a stadium which the club cannot, and never will, afford?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
An extra 1,000 on the gate brings in about £370,000 in revenue over a season, once you subtract VAT and the travel subsidy. We lost £10.2 million last season, so would need an extra 27,500 to attend the Amex each home game to balance the books.
Overall wasn't it 60 million loss?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All this talk about whether TB is going to splash the cash in the summer or not worries me. He is already spending, what - £7 or £8M a year? - just to keep us afloat. Who else would want to effectively spend that much on a season ticket, albeit a luxury one? And if he decides this year to award himself a hefty loyalty discount, who could blame him?
This brings me on to the stadium. Beautiful as it is, did we get the business model right? 'Build it and they will come' - fine, thousands do, but it's still losing money. TB has employed a top CEO to maximise revenues and reduce costs; he's probably doing very good job, but it's still nowhere near breaking even. To put it simply, have we in fact built a stadium which the club cannot, and never will, afford?

No CEO in the world would just turn us profitable over night, these things take YEARS to do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Disagree, last season we had the highest gate receipts and second highest commercial revenues in the division. This was considerably due to the Amex effect, people like coming there and being wined and dined there.

We make losses due to the wage bill, not the costs of the stadium.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree, last season we had the highest gate receipts and second highest commercial revenues in the division. This was considerably due to the Amex effect, people like coming there and being wined and dined there.

We make losses due to the wage bill, not the costs of the stadium.

Yes. Those are the profits and losses. The losses are larger than the profits. When losses are larger than the profits, that usually suggests unsustainability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here