Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TB and the board

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Depends how it was expressed and if it seemed genuine. Us supporters are a fickle bunch and need reassuring constantly.

I I think you need to think before you write on here, then when you do write and people question you, if I was you I would either apologise for wording it wrong or not reply. It seems to me that when you try to defend what you write, you just dig a bigger whole for yourself and write more rubbish. Maybe you should have started the thread with......It's my opinion...........

I accept what you are saying but does any owner of a football club expect to make a profit. NO as they always said about pubs you can make a small fortune in one but nowadays it costs a big fortune to make it.

I haven't seen anyone talking about making a profit and don't see the relevance.
Surely it's a question of how much money, if any, the Chairman is prepared to put in annually to shore up a loss making business and for how long? Having just checked the last three years accounts, the holding company losses for this period total £35.2m so that's £11.7m/pa on average.
OK then, having stated somewhere on this thread that we've been reluctant to spend, how much do you consider to be a reasonable annual contribution from TB?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Are they taking us supporters for idiots saying that anything is good enough for them doesnt matter if we get relegated. We'll just give them so more flannel.

I've always thought you were an idiot. But this confirms that you're beyond an idiot. You, of all people know that our situation is not unique and abnormal. You'd also know that TB and the board have the club's best interests at heart.

This season has been chaotic, but reform has happened. We appear to have largely abandoned the European method of recruitment and gone back to a traditional role for the manager. A manager who only came in just before the transfer period and didn't have enough time to adequately assess what is required.

The board will no doubt be reviewing the structure of the club.

More importantly, why would they not care about relegation? The financial implications will make their jobs much harder.

There seriously needs to be a pop-up box before submitting posts.
1) Are you sure?
2) Are you really sure?
Should be the two questions.

The attacking element of our team is limited.

That's why we are currently flirting with relegation. We have no pace, no creative players and no goal scorers.

It's **** all to do with the manager.

I may post this many many times in order to get my message across.
You'll get shouted down by the revisionists and the 4-4-2 lovers.

You know, the current strike force has a massive combined 3 goals between them. The most creative player has now a broken leg and our midfield is limited in its creativity. We have an impact sub as a winger, another winger with a long term injury and a winger on loan who's come back from a very long term injury.

They'll ignore all these elements, and still insist we should be scoring plenty of goals.

Surely that comes back to being reluctant to spend money. As I said on another thread we were offered Stephens and Kermorgant for £1.4m and pulled out taking just Stephens for £650k Kermorgant went to Bournemoth the rest is history.

What is it with people and money?

Burnley, promoted barely spending anything more than £1m.
Crystal Palace, barely spent anything in the 2 transfer periods leading up to their promotion
Ipswich, currently flirting with play-offs, barely spent anything.
Derby, barely spent anything close to what we did in our first season.

Those crying for us to spend money need to look back at CMS. £2.5m minimum we spent, and for what? Money doesn't guarantee success. You'd think some people would learn that after the Torres transfer.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was that apparent to supporters at Wgan.? Do the team care, as they dont seem to show it?

Isn't that you being rather needy?

I don't need 'reassurance' from TB or PB or CH in my life.

As for showing 'care'. Grow a pair FFS. It's sport, entertainment, not a critical part of life.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Simply put why can Bournemouth and Brentford prosper in the higher ECHELONS of the Championship with no parachute money, crowds 1/3 we get complying with FFP and we can't ?

Because they are not paying the likes of CMS and COG the thick end of £30k a week between them?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As for showing 'care'. Grow a pair FFS. It's sport, entertainment, not a critical part of life.

Obviously I'm 100% in agreement on all this.

Just one thing though - has anyone mentioned to CH that it's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Simply put why can Bournemouth and Brentford prosper in the higher ECHELONS of the Championship with no parachute money, crowds 1/3 we get complying with FFP and we can't ?

Sell on clauses for valuable youth players like Lallana help bring in more income than season tickets.

Well clearly you have not been paying attention for the last few months. Just about everything at the club has been questioned on here and on the Albion Roar and everywhere else no doubt.

Does Ben's Grandad pay attention to anything, except to what he thinks he's got to say?

I I think you need to think before you write on here, then when you do write and people question you, if I was you I would either apologise for wording it wrong or not reply. It seems to me that when you try to defend what you write, you just dig a bigger whole for yourself and write more rubbish. Maybe you should have started the thread with......It's my opinion...........

It's attention seeking.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Well put.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why do we appear to be the only club that has suffered because of FFP and others with smaller crowds less Sky revenue for televised games etc have prospered.

I too wonder how, with such big crowds, employing the best CEO in the land who is saving and making money for the club and yet we complain how hard it is to compete at this level and have gone backwards at a pace only equalled by Wigan in the last two seasons. Before anyone says we made the play offs last season, yes we did but the team was a shadow of the one the previous year.

How do teams like Burnley, Bournemouth. Middlesborough, and Palace manage to do it on much smaller crowds and quite probably much less income??

Is it that they get things right on the football pitch and concentrate harder on that than we do, or have we just been really unlucky to have gone off the boil so badly? Just a thought

This is not a why aren't we top of the table post, more of a how did we go from the top to the bottom so quickly post.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Big picture thinking... ultimately it doesn't matter if we are relegated. Yes, a lot of fans will be p*ssed off, the club's revenues will drop and we'll have an uphill struggle to get back to where we are now. But we will be playing league football, in a ground that is in the city and fit for purpose, with a top-of-the-range academy which WILL produce quality players who will bring in both results and money in the long term.

Nobody has sold our home to developers, the club aren't going into administration causing financial problems for numerous local business who will only get 2p in the £ on their debts and there isn't a vote due by the FL on whether we can continue to be a functioning, professional football club.

We've been relegated before and, as sure as eggs are eggs, we will be relegated again at some time in the future. It never has and it will never will be the thing that kills this club.

Reality check... This has been a sh*t season with drab, unexciting football, poor squad additions and dismal results (and I really can't wait for it to be over - I've hated it). But, ffs... we have had worse seasons than this!

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Reading through some of the threads recently you'd think we'd been taken over by the Oystens/Cellino.

It's been a long, bad, season but that's it. When the lack of loyalty in the modern game is bemoaned almost daily, there's a great irony in reading threads suggesting that the chairman/board who delivered a stadium & training ground, alongside 2 consecutive tilts at the playoffs, should get the bullet.
Depends how it was expressed and if it seemed genuine. Us supporters are a fickle bunch and need reassuring constantly.
Some clearly are but you certainly aren't speaking for everyone.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
maybe because they are paying up every week ......................have we ever had any transparency from them

I buy my baked beans in Tesco every week.... that does not make me entitles to see the deal between Tesco and Heinz!!

There are two issues:
1. The club are a business - therefore those employed by and running the business have a right to conduct matters such as salary and contract negotiations in confidence to protect the individuals involved. My salary is a matter for myself, my employer (and even then, only HR & my manager) and the tax man... Nobody else has a right or a requirement to know. Footballers have the same right of privacy. Only board members have any obligations to disclose details.

2. The club is also a football club and knowledge of the details of player negotiations and salaries being in the public domain help EVERY other club except BHAFC.

How do teams like Burnley, Bournemouth. Middlesborough, and Palace manage to do it on much smaller crowds and quite probably much less income??

Isn't it as plain as the nose on your face? They have, or have had, good managers, while we really have not!!!

The obsession with attendances is almost irrelevant!! How do you reconcile attendance figures versus, say, team spirit?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've always thought you were an idiot. But this confirms that you're beyond an idiot. You, of all people know that our situation is not unique and abnormal. You'd also know that TB and the board have the club's best interests at heart.

This season has been chaotic, but reform has happened. We appear to have largely abandoned the European method of recruitment and gone back to a traditional role for the manager. A manager who only came in just before the transfer period and didn't have enough time to adequately assess what is required.

The board will no doubt be reviewing the structure of the club.

More importantly, why would they not care about relegation? The financial implications will make their jobs much harder.

There seriously needs to be a pop-up box before submitting posts.
1) Are you sure?
2) Are you really sure?
Should be the two questions.

You'll get shouted down by the revisionists and the 4-4-2 lovers.

You know, the current strike force has a massive combined 3 goals between them. The most creative player has now a broken leg and our midfield is limited in its creativity. We have an impact sub as a winger, another winger with a long term injury and a winger on loan who's come back from a very long term injury.

They'll ignore all these elements, and still insist we should be scoring plenty of goals.

What is it with people and money?

Burnley, promoted barely spending anything more than £1m.
Crystal Palace, barely spent anything in the 2 transfer periods leading up to their promotion
Ipswich, currently flirting with play-offs, barely spent anything.
Derby, barely spent anything close to what we did in our first season.

Those crying for us to spend money need to look back at CMS. £2.5m minimum we spent, and for what? Money doesn't guarantee success. You'd think some people would learn that after the Torres transfer.

not spend a lot more money .............just spend it a little more wisely

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I buy my baked beans in Tesco every week.... that does not make me entitles to see the deal between Tesco and Heinz!!

There are two issues:
1. The club are a business - therefore those employed by and running the business have a right to conduct matters such as salary and contract negotiations in confidence to protect the individuals involved. My salary is a matter for myself, my employer (and even then, only HR & my manager) and the tax man... Nobody else has a right or a requirement to know. Footballers have the same right of privacy. Only board members have any obligations to disclose details.

2. The club is also a football club and knowledge of the details of player negotiations and salaries being in the public domain help EVERY other club except BHAFC.

when I was talking about transparency, I was thinking about the ambition, I don't really care who earning what
where are the club going are we still on the 5 year plan? do you know

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
when I was talking about transparency, I was thinking about the ambition, I don't really care who earning what
where are the club going are we still on the 5 year plan? do you know

We are 'Premiership ready' except on the pitch. in 5 or 6 positions. What a player or manager earns is no concern of mine but are we competitive with other clubs, that is more important, I dont know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here