Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Taylor Swift has the entire Billboard US Top Ten

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Great achievement or a sign of the times?

Wasn‘t around at the time but didn’t the Beatles have the US Top 5 in 1963 when you actually had to go and buy the actual record from a shop?

And will they still be playing any of the 10 songs in 30 years time?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
April 1964 The Beatles had the entire top 5 on the Billboard 100.

Ed Sheeran did something similar over here in 2017 having 9 of the top 10 and 11th as well. Only Chainsmokers & Coldplay track Something Just Like This at number 7 stopped him having the entire top 10.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
April 1964 The Beatles had the entire top 5 on the Billboard 100.

Ed Sheeran did something similar over here in 2017 having 9 of the top 10 and 11th as well. Only Chainsmokers & Coldplay track Something Just Like This at number 7 stopped him having the entire top 10.
Cheers Joey, didn’t realise that about Ed Sheeran, I’d stopped watching TOTP by then 😂

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sign of the times that singles charts are meaningless. album released as singles, each paid/played individually, gets counted for the chart.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
YYYYYYYYYY

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
sign of the times that singles charts are meaningless. album released as singles, each paid/played individually, gets counted for the chart.
I don’t think it’s totally meaningless, but they maybe need to adjust how they derive sales figures from streams for cases like this. The UK charts have a weighting system for album tracks to try and counter it….but even that isn’t fool proof for mega stars as Ed Sheeran did similar to Swift a while back. Maybe edge cases like these two are something we shouldn’t worry too much about?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nearly anyone can chart these days if they know how to manipulate online platforms. It’s not much of an achievement compared to when people had to purchase hard copies.
True. That said, the old charts could be manipulated as well; I have fond memories as a teen going to Rounder to buy special/signed editions of albums as this was a shop which counted towards the charts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside, I heard the charts are 70 years old today.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
To be honest it seems a bit weird how they calculate the charts these days, but there is no doubt that Taylor snapping up the whole top 10 is pretty remarkable. The new album is excellent and alongside all those streams are well over a million hard copy sales. Just annoying that Swifty's US tour rules out Glasto and European stadiums for this year. Hoping some sort of arena residency can be sorted for the autumn/winter

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And will they still be playing any of the 10 songs in 30 years time?

Dad?! lol

Charts are weird now - based on streams, downloads, radio airplay and, way down the list, actual sales.

Music isn't consumed as it was. And arguably doesn't mean as much to kids, as it used to.

BUT well-crafted pop music is still well-crafted pop music. See: Taylor Swift's Antihero, the current #1. It's ace.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Nearly anyone can chart these days if they know how to manipulate online platforms. It’s not much of an achievement compared to when people had to purchase hard copies.
Exactly... Didn't Nick Knowles get to number 1 while he was in the Jungle due to a national DJ overplaying his woeful tune?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It was worse than that, Sheeran's "Divide" album had 16 tracks. All 16 tracks charted in the top 20. That prompted a rules change for the UK, so that today only the top 3 tracks from an album can chart.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's a noteworthy checkpoint in how things have changed. I'm not a fan of how it works in allowing it to happen in this way personally, but ultimately it's largely pointless so well done her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As an aside, I heard the charts are 70 years old today.
I bumped into Frank Ifield 20 years ago.

I bumped into him again, yesterday.

He said 'I remember you'.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly... Didn't Nick Knowles get to number 1 while he was in the Jungle due to a national DJ overplaying his woeful tune?
There are, however, way fewer novelty tracks in the charts these days...

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
She is a superstar and her reinvention as more than just a popstar is remarkably impressive.

Had the pleasure of being at Bon Iver last Wednesday and he brought her out to perform their duet from Folklore, "Exile". It was brilliant, and the crowd (who wouldn't really be her "normal" audience) went wild. Was a really special moment.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Taylor Swift is a phenomenon, she is unbelievably good and it helps that she seems just insanely down to earth even at this time, when she IS the shit. I'll be very much hoping to get tickets to one of the UK legs of her Eras Tour, I'm an unapologetic "Swiftie" and her new album is ace. I've also fancied the pants off her since she was doing country music, so yea, definitely a fan!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here