Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tarring ALL men with the same brush

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I also find it very insulting that you are allowed women only gyms, the reason behind this is that women want to work out without being looked at by men. Firstly, this implies that women do not look at men working out (which they do of course according to all my female friends). It also stereotypes ALL men by exclusion. Why not have a Muslim free gym too based on the principle that you want to feel safe from being blown up? How about a white only gym because crime figures among black communities are high?

Why do you find it insulting? Have you ever been a woman in a gym? Do you know that ALL they want is for people to stop looking at them? Or is it that they have had experiences of being made to feel incredibly uncomfortable in a normal gym? Just because what YOU do is 'just looking' doesn't mean that the sleazier man doesn't use it as an opportunity to make advances at women. Also, the amount of patronising crap girls have to put up with at the gym also gives them another motive for female-only gyms. I know this because my girlfriend goes to a mixed gym 6 days a week and has to put up with crap from 'gym bros' every single time.

What I really despise at the moment is that a man that looks at an attractive woman is considered a pervert. Taking into consideration what the word means, I cannot understand how this is a perverted act? Staring at her or following her of course is unacceptable but I just mean glancing at her, you know, in the same way that women do to men!

What happened to you to give you this opinion ???

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't live in Tarring but I do visit now and then; it's a nice walk on a sunny day.

I will ensure I take a brush with me on my next visit.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Why do Pokerstars have "women only" tournaments but not "men only" tournaments?

Is it so women don't get leered at by salivating men? Or is it PC gone bloody mad?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Why do you find it insulting? Have you ever been a woman in a gym? Do you know that ALL they want is for people to stop looking at them? Or is it that they have had experiences of being made to feel incredibly uncomfortable in a normal gym? Just because what YOU do is 'just looking' doesn't mean that the sleazier man doesn't use it as an opportunity to make advances at women. Also, the amount of patronising crap girls have to put up with at the gym also gives them another motive for female-only gyms. I know this because my girlfriend goes to a mixed gym 6 days a week and has to put up with crap from 'gym bros' every single time.

It is stereotyping ALL men. SOME girls do put up with crap from men but does this mean that we should go to gender segregation? My point is that gender segregation seems like a massive step back in the progression and movement towards gender equality.

As previously mentioned, if we do not want a society to segregate by class, sexuality or colour, I am not sure why we should by sex either.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is stereotyping ALL men. SOME girls do put up with crap from men but does this mean that we should go to gender segregation? My point is that gender segregation seems like a massive step back in the progression and movement towards gender equality.

As previously mentioned, if we do not want a society to segregate by class, sexuality or colour, I am not sure why we should by sex either.

It's not enforced segregation! Some women feel uncomfortable in mixed gyms. fair enough. Some women like being in mixed gyms. We call these women sluts.

Seriously though, go along to your nearest birds only gym and stand outside with a banner demanding you be let in. I think you should make a stand.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's not enforced segregation! Some women feel uncomfortable in mixed gyms. fair enough. Some women like being in mixed gyms. We call these women sluts.

Seriously though, go along to your nearest birds only gym and stand outside with a banner demanding you be let in. I think you should make a stand.

Some people feel uncomfortable around black people or men in turbans. Does that justify segregation?

As for women being called sluts for going into mixed gyms. I can quite honestly say I have never, ever heard anything of the sort.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As a sociologist I can see both sides to this, it is a good campaign to raise the awareness of issues that many females have to endure. I am however getting very fed up with the demonisation of men by the media. There are also some huge double standards too. People look at other people on the metro, it is human nature. Do men look at attractive women? Yes. Do women look at attractive men? yes.

What I really despise at the moment is that a man that looks at an attractive woman is considered a pervert. Taking into consideration what the word means, I cannot understand how this is a perverted act? Staring at her or following her of course is unacceptable but I just mean glancing at her, you know, in the same way that women do to men!

I suspect it's more to do with men touching women rather than looking at them.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I suspect it's more to do with men touching women rather than looking at them.

I am sure you are correct and the men that do that are ****holes but I am sure you or I do not want to be put in the same category as those ****holes. I think segregation or educating women on this issue is approaching it the wrong way around. It is the individual offenders that need tackling.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some people feel uncomfortable around black people or men in turbans. Does that justify segregation?

As for women being called sluts for going into mixed gyms. I can quite honestly say I have never, ever heard anything of the sort.

The slut thing was a joke. Don't sweat it.

If you feel uncomfortable around black people or those in Turbans you can go to places where you are unlikely to meet black people or men in Turbans. Say, Cornwall. If a woman doesnt feel comfortable with men in gyms she can go to a place she is unlikely to meet men. Say, an all female gym.

I prefer women having their own gyms. They are a pain in the arse in gyms. Only two types of women go to gyms. Exercise Nazis or gossipping young mothers, neither of which I wish to be in the company of.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

It's not gender segregation. They are bespoke gyms set up for like minded women - it's not like big gym chains are saying 'SORRY WOMEN ONLY'.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I am sure you are correct and the men that do that are ****holes but I am sure you or I do not want to be put in the same category as those ****holes. I think segregation or educating women on this issue is approaching it the wrong way around. It is the individual offenders that need tackling.

They aren't putting you in the same category. If every time you went to the gym someone tried to give you unsolicited advice, wouldn't stop looking at you or even so much as touched you without your permission, would you not go somewhere that it would be GUARANTEED that wouldn't happen?

I do think you are right in the second part though, those ********s do need tackling, but until that happens, can you really blame women for setting up gyms where they feel comfortable?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's not gender segregation. They are bespoke gyms set up for like minded women - it's not like big gym chains are saying 'SORRY WOMEN ONLY'.

How different is it to men setting up gentleman's clubs to keep out waffling women who do not understand business and politics?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here