Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is a bit of a 'worrying' thought that we could be losing both Lamptey & Bissouma this summer

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is a bit of a 'worrying' thought that we could be losing both Lamptey & Bissouma this summer

Not really. It will be further demonstration of our functioning model. We would have sold three 50 million players in about 12 months. It is what we need to do. Justifies our set up.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Well, yes, but we have to trust Tony Bloom to do the right thing for the club.

Even if we do, we'll have trousered £80m + so we might see an expensive replacement.

Bissouma will probably leave, but I would find it very surprising if we sold Lamptey unless we had a very good alternative lined up

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Certainly is. Must be horrible to be Southampton with what feels like a Top 6 team of ex-players.

Their 9th consecutive season in the top flight, pretty much assured of a tenth with minimal investment other than what they have made on transfers. The obvious success is to keep evolving.

Last season you may well have concluded we'd be in deep trouble if Bissouma left, but already this season we've played enough without him to feel the funds raised could be well spent and we could continue to progress.

You don't perhaps get to sign your Bissouma's and Lamptey's unless you are a path for their career progression at some point. Trick is when to stick or twist in that regard, as happened with Ben White, I think they judged that well in it being a good move for all parties.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It wasn't so much the losing the players, it was more both in the same window.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Bissouma for £40 M or keep him for one more season & the club gets zero. As we are a very well run club , plans will be in place for his replacement or other players that can take his position in the team . If £40m gets offered & he won’t sign a new contract , it’s almost certain he will be off . The best thing we can hope for is a bidding war with one of the big 6 clubs so pushes the price over £40m

Lamptey is a different situation, he’s on a much longer contract so unless he pushes to go there’s no pressure even if £50 m is offered .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And Trossard (very likely, same situation as Biss), Maupay and MacAllister (think both of the latter will sign new contracts though).

Think Biss and Tross moves and that the club decides to keep Lamptey for another year, dont want to sell too many key players at the same time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bissouma for £40 M or keep him for one more season & the club gets zero. As we are a very well run club , plans will be in place for his replacement or other players that can take his position in the team . If £40m gets offered & he won’t sign a new contract , it’s almost certain he will be off . The best thing we can hope for is a bidding war with one of the big 6 clubs so pushes the price over £40m

Lamptey is a different situation, he’s on a much longer contract so unless he pushes to go there’s no pressure even if £50 m is offered .

Exactly - also, we don’t seem to have a Lamptey mk2 in the pipeline ready to replace the lad.

I’d be asking for £60m+ based on that if Man Utd or Arsenal come knocking.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

And also, if Bissouma goes you can pick a decent centre midfield. We have young players looking to claim that mantle.

If Lamptey goes, there nobody really knocking the door down at RWB on loan or in the u23s (I suppose Offiah is closest, but he's not quite there to replace Lamptey as a PL regular yet). Veltman is terrific, but is clearly filling in in that position and a regular wing back spot in the Premier League is a huge ask of someone entering their 30s. It would hugely reduce our attacking potency.

I can't see why we would sell him for any price this summer. He's likely to improve massively in the coming years. We'll get more by holding onto him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bit like the Ben White saga, not even the best wing back at the club. Heady days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Players who quite literally get you out of your seat.

Tariq’s definitely one, against CP I was like a jack in the box.

He’s a brilliant attacking footballer.

Not that many Albion players who’ve had that effect in my years of intermittent support. Including the terracing era (not seated :) ) - imho; Ward, Ryan, Nelson, Vicente, Bridge, Muzza, Knockaert.

Fantastic acquisition.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And to those who don’t think he gets enough minutes, Jenas and Richards both agreed that he is being managed perfectly by Potter on MoTD2 tonight.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
And to those who don’t think he gets enough minutes, Jenas and Richards both agreed that he is being managed perfectly by Potter on MoTD2 tonight.

I think they got to the correct answer in the end but went a slight odd way to it. Jenas intially said that we should them to get ahead then slowly they chatted and agrees potter is nailing it.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I think, although I can't generalise, it's the Ghanian way. Ultra polite, the Ghanians I have come across have all been lovely people, lovely kids, just humble, polite individuals.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering Tariq took a pay cut to join us money isn’t his motivator which is a rare commodity in the modern game, he wants to play football. Can’t see him moving for a while yet.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Considering Tariq took a pay cut to join us money isn’t his motivator which is a rare commodity in the modern game, he wants to play football. Can’t see him moving for a while yet.

I reckon that pay cut was pretty much wiped out when he signed his new contract last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here