[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The below is on the BBC rumours page thing this morning.

Arsenal are considering Brighton's England Under-21 defender Tariq Lamptey, 20, and Norwich's English full-back Max Aarons, 21, to replace Spain right-back Hector Bellerin, 25, who has been heavily linked with Paris St-Germain. (Sun)

They can consider him all they like ... they can't afford him

I love Lamptey and think he could be absolute quality, but he's been injured for longer than he's been fit and I don't think a club will shell out the price we'd ask for a player who ha yet to play 20 top flight matches

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Arsenal are considering Brighton's England Under-21 defender Tariq Lamptey, 20, and Norwich's English full-back Max Aarons, 21, to replace Spain right-back Hector Bellerin, 25, who has been heavily linked with Paris St-Germain. (Sun)

From The Sun, they need content to sell papers, total BS, and as pointed out above, his injury, which in some ways might turn out to be a blessing for us in this window in terms of dampening transfer interest.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’d love to buy a three bedroom property in Central London. Sadly I can’t afford one so it’s a bit of a non-starter.

Yeh and if they do, (though wildly unlikely) buy Lamptey or Bissouma, or whoever from us than questions would have top be asked, considering they are taking loan to get by from the BoE.

Maybe they will go on a transfer splurge, then see if there are any more dinosaurs they can sack or see if there is any more government money they can access

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Pretty sure he'll be with us next season unless we get relegated. If the worst was to happen it's likely he would be one of a handful to move on sadly.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If we go down, he will get sold (as will Bissouma and maybe Dunk/Webster) and for a lot less than if we were in PL.

No-way player of that quality/potential will stay in CS when large PL clubs are after them.

Only whilst we are in PL, we can demand silly money.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If we go down, he will get sold (as will Bissouma and maybe Dunk/Webster) and for a lot less than if we were in PL.

No-way player of that quality/potential will stay in CS when large PL clubs are after them.

Only whilst we are in PL, we can demand silly money.

Ake went for £40m we can still get a lot for players even if we get relegated.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I read a report this morning that Arsenal were looking to buy Lamptey, Bissouma AND Grealish ... which did make me wonder what that journalist had been smoking

Again, in normal times, that's £200m of purchases.

Plus above market rate wages to counter the fact they are less attractive than some as not in the Champions League.

File under, absolutely no chance.

They can't afford one of these

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I love Lamptey and think he could be absolute quality, but he's been injured for longer than he's been fit and I don't think a club will shell out the price we'd ask for a player who ha yet to play 20 top flight matches

I was thinking the same. While there’s a question mark over how injury prone he may be (too early to say he is injury prone, but there is enough of a doubt), surely none of the large clubs will be prepared to pay a huge sum for him. Therefore his current injury probably means he’ll still be with us next season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

This broke yesterday (see the tweets I posted above), there are some reputable journalists confirming Arsenals interest. But the £30m figure is obviously laughable.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

"Chelsea would get an unknown percentage of any fee Brighton receive for Lamptey after negotiating a sell-on clause in the move which took the defender from Stamford Bridge to the Seagulls in January 2020. (Express)"

That just puts the fee up, even further out of Arsenal's reach.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
This broke yesterday (see the tweets I posted above), there are some reputable journalists confirming Arsenals interest. But the £30m figure is obviously laughable.

I'm not sure that £30m is laughable. We bought him for £3m. He's played only a handful of games and has been consistently blighted by injuries. Wan-Bissaka went for £50m but that was to United who by their own admission always have to over-pay. Also AWB had played a lot more games and there hadn't been a global pandemic. I think £30m-£35m with some add-ons and the club would bite your hand-off. We also have an Joel Veltman as a replacement.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm not sure that £30m is laughable. We bought him for £3m. He's played only a handful of games and has been consistently blighted by injuries. Wan-Bissaka went for £50m but that was to United who by their own admission always have to over-pay. Also AWB had played a lot more games and there hadn't been a global pandemic. I think £30m-£35m with some add-ons and the club would bite your hand-off. We also have an Joel Veltman as a replacement.

“We’d bite their hand off”

That’s ludicrous I’m sorry. We rejected more for Ben White who at the time had zero PL experience.

Lamptey is also heavily contracted up. So there’s no pressure on the club to sell. As always, I’m amused that some here as so happily keen to sell our best players at the first sniff of interest.

I’m not unrealistic, if a big offer comes in the club would definitely consider. But £30m for one of the most exciting young English wing backs, who’s also being watched by other power houses (eg Bayern Munich) is laughable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"Chelsea would get an unknown percentage of any fee Brighton receive for Lamptey after negotiating a sell-on clause in the move which took the defender from Stamford Bridge to the Seagulls in January 2020. (Express)"

That just puts the fee up, even further out of Arsenal's reach.

You sound like Parrish!

Just because there's a sell on fee does necessarily increase the cost of player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports