Tanno, Vicente and CMS due at press conference today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think this season results have exceeded performances, and some of the other stats (such as second lowest number of shots on target) are perhaps a more revealing performance indicator of our season.

Agree entirely, seen some shockers, but when you're sitting 5th with 10 games to go and all the Oppo looking like they couldn't beat a Sunday League team you can forgive getting a bit carried away!

I for one am not that expectant that we have to get promoted or even to the play offs but I would like to see us compete through the entire season and look like we're making progress on the pitch regardless of where we end up. No disputing though that one generally reflects the other

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
"Tougher next season" I wonder what the basis of that statement is? Seems like an odd thing to say ... can't imagine anyone has said the Championship is easy, it's always going to be tough but that's what separates the good from the great - ask McDermott and Adkins

I think it will be harder - could have bolton blackburn and wolves + Charlton and possible the two sheffield clubs who will be strong... losing dony cov and pompey...Also possible still have brum WHU in the league - think next year will be difficult.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
That's a bit too simplistic a comparison. What did they spend in the seasons before this on players who are still there?

What did they pay in signing-on fees, and what are they spending on wages? Could be much more than us.

They DID have a wage cap of £8k a week so i'm led to believe, this was up until the new owners came in so has probably gone out the window. Either way, I was told, and also read that no player was on above that before January. Seems pretty reasonable for me, all of their top players come from the lower leagues or are not what you'd call big earners. The likes of Karacan, Leigertwood, Long (signed from Ireland) until he left, McAnuf are all top quality players, but the sort that would fit into a reasonable wage structure.
They've been very smart, almost similar to our project but a couple of years further up the line. Now it seems this Russian fella will take them to the next level wage wise.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Possibly because the teams have now seen us play, and know our style. Also look at the teams coming up, Charlton and one of the Sheffield teams, could possibly be tough. Big teams compared to who we are losing in Doncaster, Pompey and Coventry. And did having a brand, spanking new stadium help us with the great beginning to the season?

Also,

Forest, Ipswich, Leeds and Leicester have spectacularly underacheived this year and could well be challenging next season.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
First question: Vicente; "How's the English coming along?"
Reply: "My hovercraft is full of eels"

''Do you want to come back to my place - bouncy bouncy HB&B"

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
And Boro... Amazingly tough league this year and could be even tougher next season.

I don't agree - In fact, I think the league will be alot more open next season.

Charlton, both the Sheffield teams and/or Huddersfield will be mid table at best as none of them have the finances to be big spenders.

Other than Wolves and Bolton, I can't see any other team coming down such as Wigan, Blackburn or QPR being a threat next year.

The summer transfer dealings will be very very interesting this summer, not just for us, but for many other Championship teams either.

One shock I think you'll find next season is that Palace will do very well if they can keep hold of Speroni and Zaha.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Could be interesting.

First question: Vicente; when are you signing your new extended contract?

Second question: Craig: when are you going?

Third question: Tanno: Are you going to tell Gus that the fans were booing the ref not the players?.......................................

Tanno will say, "After a discussion with the players CMS will now read out the list of the biggest Knob jockeys on NSC."

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Apparently what Vicente said is embargoed until Saturday! Perhaps someone could just give a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Why was Vicente even at the press conference, and why is what he said embargoed to Saturday?

Does that mean he's not playing against Birmingham, and was saying

(a) goodbye, thanks for the support, but time for me to move on
or
(b) goodbye, see you next year?

To be honest I'm pretty certain he won't feature again this season, as there's really no point in him risking injury in meaningless games, so perhaps he's already on his way back to Spain for the summer.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I'm confused at why they can't report what Vicente said until Saturday. If there was any news revealed, surely it would make no difference if it was released today or Saturday?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't agree - In fact, I think the league will be alot more open next season.

Charlton, both the Sheffield teams and/or Huddersfield will be mid table at best as none of them have the finances to be big spenders.

Other than Wolves and Bolton, I can't see any other team coming down such as Wigan, Blackburn or QPR being a threat next year.

The summer transfer dealings will be very very interesting this summer, not just for us, but for many other Championship teams either.

One shock I think you'll find next season is that Palace will do very well if they can keep hold of Speroni and Zaha.

Wow, I don't think I've ever disagreed with so many points in one post. In my opinion:

- Charlton (more points in League One than us last season) will be a major contender next season. Look at the last two seasons for evidence of promoted teams doing well.
- Sheffield Wednesday have a good manager in place now. They'll do well if they come up. Sheffield United might not be as strong but they'll survive comfortably.
- Wolves are rotten to the core. Several season of mid-table looms.
- Wigan would do really well in this league as they don't have too many star players to lose. If they kept 90% of a team that has just played Arsenal off the pitch I'd expect them to beat us, for example.
- QPR have money. They might find some of the big names want out, but they can definitely strengthen this summer no matter what league they're in. I'd put them down for top six.

Fact is - almost certainly somewhere between these two polarised points of view will lie the truth.

As an aside, I wonder what fans of other clubs - especially those who we were, until a couple of weeks ago, in the chase for a play-off place with - think of our chances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wow, I don't think I've ever disagreed with so many points in one post. In my opinion:

- Charlton (more points in League One than us last season) will be a major contender next season. Look at the last two seasons for evidence of promoted teams doing well.
- Sheffield Wednesday have a good manager in place now. They'll do well if they come up. Sheffield United might not be as strong but they'll survive comfortably.
- Wigan would do really well in this league as they don't have too many star players to lose. If they kept 90% of a team that has just played Arsenal off the pitch I'd expect them to beat us, for example.
- QPR have money. They might find some of the big names want out, but they can definitely strengthen this summer no matter what league they're in. I'd put them down for top six.

Agree with all of that.

Also disagree with him on Palace completely. There is simply NO evidence to think they are in a position to do well next year. In fact I'll disagree with him still further and say that NOT keeping Zaha, and investing the profits is the way they might improve, rather than by keeping him.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I'm confused at why they can't report what Vicente said until Saturday. If there was any news revealed, surely it would make no difference if it was released today or Saturday?

It may just be that he's already finnished for the season, and is through passport control as we speak. No point in letting Birmingham know he's not playing.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Totally agree. QPR will rip this league a new one if they come down. Cash to burn and already loaded with good premiership players, plus a manager who has done pretty well his entire career. I think we are going to struggle to do anywhere near as well next season without some big players coming in.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Usually the Argus back page on Saturday is from this press conference, so I don't know if this is anything unusual or exciting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here