[Albion] TalkSport’s dodgy ‘supercomputer’ predicts final Premier League table

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
8th is surely the highest we'd want to finish this season in that it's the highest position without getting lumbered with the distractions of European competitions?

Yeah - why would anyone want to see Albion playing in Europe.

It would be much better to tred water in the mid-table of the Premier League for season after season until our luck runs out and we get relegated...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah - why would anyone want to see Albion playing in Europe.

It would be much better to tred water in the mid-table of the Premier League for season after season until our luck runs out and we get relegated...
As Glendenning always says:-

'why spend an entire season trying to get into Europe only to try and get out of it at the first opportunity, the following season?'

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Are they on drugs? I love the way this 'predictor' gets updated every month. So, effectively, the predictions are worthless because they'll be a completely different order next month, according to how the matches pan out.

Top Talkshite clickbait, though :lol:

In fairness to the Talksport pooter, that is exactly the way statisticians will tell you how to predict things using additional info as you go to increase the reliability of the prediction. Whilst I doubt the TS Amstrad is a Bayesian stats model using P numbers, that's what the statos recommend.

It's a bit heavy for NSC this. I remember when I used to post about big tits and stuff. If you make it to the end, pour yourself a beer.

https://towardsdatascience.com/prob...ference-for-parameter-estimation-90e8930e5348

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As posted on another thread....
2017-06-11-deep-thought.jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I would be more than happy with that, but if we could just squeeze into a Europe spot for next season I would be considerably richer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In fairness to the Talksport pooter, that is exactly the way statisticians will tell you how to predict things using additional info as you go to increase the reliability of the prediction. Whilst I doubt the TS Amstrad is a Bayesian stats model using P numbers, that's what the statos recommend.

It's a bit heavy for NSC this. I remember when I used to post about big tits and stuff. If you make it to the end, pour yourself a beer.

https://towardsdatascience.com/prob...ference-for-parameter-estimation-90e8930e5348

Yeah, I get that, but there's something a bit naff about saying 'here are our predictions for the season', only to consign that set of predictions to the great Premier League bin in the sky(pun intended) the next month, when a whole new set of results can be factored in. I know some of the predictions by various outlets have – so far – been proven to be well wide of the mark, at least they are sticking with them and not revising them after every game/month.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
No idea about their methodology but Smarterscout's algorithm really likes us. They have our most likely finishing position as 5th and give us a 77% chance of a top half finish. 4.5% of a champions league spot (!!) and just 0.2% chance of relegation.

SmarterScoutPredNov.PNG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It got it so wrong on the earlier predictions of our finishing place that it’s not worth taking even vaguely seriously

I wonder if TB uses a similar super computer for his horses chances of winning a race :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a TS show this afternoon, the studio team were asked to make their 2020/21 PL predictions and give reasons. Taken seriously, all with a plausible rationale.

Other than Darren Ambrose who predicted we’re finish 20th, because we’re just not any good. Came across as a childish prick.

It took 15 minutes before Darren Bent and the others cottoned on why.

FWIW, the others rated Potter highly and said 13th.

[Best mate of Zaha]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports