Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport presenter let's rip at qpr

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Top, top ranting; agree with every word. I know there are talented overseas players in the PL but when did we last see a British player with the skill of George Best or Jim Baxter? With the passing ability of John White or Johnny Haynes (or even Glenn Hoddle)? It seems we're paying more and more for worse and worse players. And there's no end in sight

This stems from the totally nonsensical worshipping of a slightly above average but pretty-boy player called David Beckham. English standards of greatness have dropped considerably as a result.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Bloom needs to listen to this and think on very carefully.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Its about time someone in the media had the guts to say what most of us now feel about the game we fell in love with as youngsters and is now filling us with disillusionment and apathy. Its not the people's game anymore, its the players game. They completely control it. They decide if they can be bothered to play or not and whether they want to bust a gut for a particular manager. Highly paid professionals going through the motions and being allowed to get away with it because there is no accountability. They get rewarded for failure and for inactivity. The manager takes all the responsibility and carries the can for the failure of his players to carry out basic tasks.
You wouldn't mind if they were any good but most of them aren't. They are bang average at best. Players wages spiral upwards, fans pay more and more to watch, either live or from the comfort of their armchairs and the standard is declining. We are getting less and less value for money and the players are getting lazier and lazier. There isn't a desire to hone skills anymore as dishonesty has become the norm rather than the occasional. If players can cheat and con officials to gain decisions rather than display skill to beat an opponent, then they will. They know they are going to get away with it. The corrupt and ineffectual governing bodies turn a blind eye to it. Why rock the boat. They are gorging at the trough of largesse and enjoying life.
Many fans are to blame as well, heralding the present game as light years ahead of the past. They are watching fitter athletes enjoying the benefits of hugely advanced sports science, much better facilities for training and playing. Equipment is better, balls are lighter and most grounds are an improvement on what has gone before. A lot of fans dismiss the past as irrelevant, the dark ages, hoofball and thuggery. Heavy pitches and kit. They mock film of old players as if they are something out of a Chaplin movie. They are like the players, lazy. They can't be bothered to read about the game, to study old footage, to listen to wise old heads talking about players. They don't see any good in what went before. They believe that footballing life began with the Premier League.( It didn't. ) I heard a former professional recently refer to ' old-school ' football on the radio and I wondered what he meant. Did he mean players who were more hungry because they could at least double their money with win bonuses?. Did he mean players who could control the ball with one touch and pass accurately to teammates? Did he mean players who had learnt the art of heading the ball, of hanging in the air to meet a cross. Did he mean players who could tackle properly and didn't dive in two footed every few minutes? Did he mean players who could dribble and beat players? Did he mean wide players who could cross the ball accurately and in a measured way? Did he mean players who thought only of beating the goalkeeper when they were one on one in the box? Did he mean players who were just as skillful if not more skillful than todays players? Did he mean players who challenged strongly for the ball and stayed on their feet?
Did he mean players who were loved by the fans, either for their skill and cheekiness, their passion and effort or for their quirkyness? Did he mean players who played for the love of the game and didn't demand a kings ransom until they had proved themselves? Did he mean players who regarded the ultimate honour as representing their country and the greatest day as walking out in an FA Cup Final?
If he meant any of these things, then ' old school ' wins for me over the ugliness that now permeates our game. The balance has gone too far the other way now and the players are untouchable. Cossetted and pampered, they help line the pockets of agents, spivs and all other assorted detritus that the game now attracts. My problem is, its still in my blood, coursing through my veins. I don't like a hell of a lot of what I see but I can't give it up.
QPR are a prime example of how to get it wrong in football and Saggers called it right. If Barton concentrated more on the pitch rather than on social media, he may make himself a better player. Overpaid, average foreign imports and loanees, barely breaking sweat. A manager on a hiding to nothing.
Phew, I'm exhausted. Rant over. Time for a cup of tea.
p.s Who is playing tonight?

Absolutely right. A certain Mr Liam Bridcutt was a prime example while he was still here, but "not in the right frame of mind to play". I take it we were still honouring our side of the contract though. To my way of thinking, if a player feels he is not in the right frame of mind, his wages should be withdrawn until he does. I suppose some will say that it wasn't his choice not to be picked, but I think my point is valid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Five Live also had a long rant at QPR Monday night (pre Arsenal so around 7:30 onwards on iplayer). They had an expert on regards the punishment and they joked that according to the rules QPR should be rejected from all 3 leagues.

I believe that 'expert' was someone from NSC.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This stems from the totally nonsensical worshipping of a slightly above average but pretty-boy player called David Beckham. English standards of greatness have dropped considerably as a result.

Ain't that the truth: I remember a survey about a dozen years ago where fans were asked the greatest English players of all time and Beckham was in the top five - the epitome of image over substance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here