Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talk Sport

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
Listening to talk sport earlier and they had Kevin Phillips on and he said he was 90% sure that he would not be at Birmingham next season and then on the Kick of show Mark Saggers asked Stan Collymore if Kevin Phillips is going to Brighton but like usual Collymore just spoke over him and did not answer the question (he just likes to listen to himself) so could it happen??

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
On the sports news bullitin they replayed the Kevin Phillips interview and then Mark Saggers asked Collymore does he think Kevin Phillips will join Brighton

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
On the sports news bullitin they replayed the Kevin Phillips interview and then Mark Saggers asked Collymore does he think Kevin Phillips will join Brighton

Collymore can continue nailing his dog for all i care, he is inept. As for keys and gray, talksport has hired some genuine fools.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Legs gone,good for League 1/2,not Championship

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Last season Phillips was 90% certain that he wouldn't be staying with Birmingham - then signed a 12 month extension a week later. Think I would wait for the dust of relegation to settle before even thinking about where players like Phillips would be next year. They will want to sort out the big money players who they need to sell first before they decide whether Phillips has a value to them now they are in the Championship.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If we are aiming for a top 6 finish (according to Bloom) then we will be looking at top 6 players and if Phillips is good enough for that he can do a job for Birmingham, especially if he is out of contract and they could give him a cheeper one.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He wouldn't be up to playing too much but he'd be guaranteed goals if you give him the ball in the box so as long as he isn't costing much and will settle for being a squad player he'd be a good signing. A good influence to have around for the younger players as well I'd expect

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
If we are aiming for a top 6 finish (according to Bloom) then we will be looking at top 6 players and if Phillips is good enough for that he can do a job for Birmingham, especially if he is out of contract and they could give him a cheeper one.

Technically yes. But I think Birmingham are now in the clear out the dead wood, rebuild phase which may not require KPhil who's probably only got a season more in him at best.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
so as long as he isn't costing much and will settle for being a squad player

I can see two potential problems right there and the first is that he took a pay cut last season but is still on something north of £20K per week. He has been quoted in the past as saying he won't go down the leagues to prolong his career.
The second is that he is in many respects quite like Nicky Forster :)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Not really worth listening too again but incase you want to its between 1900-1930 at 16 minutes in.

Radio - Listen again - Episode - 32747 - talkSPORT - for men who love to talk sport

Collymore was reading his list of players who have probably seen their best days but can still do a job i.e. scholes etc, when he got to Phillips, Mark Saggers said "do you think he's gonna go to Brighton?" Collymore replied "i dunno" and carried on with his list.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Birmingham = Championship Club, Brighton = Championship Club, if Phillips isn't wanted by a team that has financial woes why would we want him ?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Naff Collymore made his controversial point of the evening that La Ligue poor, and Barca and Real would suffer in the EPL.

He did he usual ranting, not letting Saggers or caller talk.

The bloke is a shit presenter.

Turned over a better debate on 5Live where everyone got a chance to talk, and non-factual gossip was challanged.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Collymore was terrible last night, talked over Saggers the whole time, and just talked utter rubbish.

He described La Liga as 'tippy-tappy garbage', which presumably includes Barcelona and Real Madrid. Highlight was when one emailer called him xenophobic.

I think the Collymore/Keys&Gray axis may finally be about to make me call time on talksport for good, the constant diet of drivel is not worth the odd good guest or contribution.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think the Collymore/Keys&Gray axis may finally be about to make me call time on talksport for good, the constant diet of drivel is not worth the odd good guest or contribution.

Agree about Collymore, I listened last night and I was embarrassed for Saggers at times.

I quite like Keys' & Grays' show though, they get decent guests on and i generally find it quite interesting, they seem to have more license to talk about the old days than some of the other shows, it's not completely about what happened last weekend like some of the others

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Said it before & I'll say it again. Only 2 reasons to ever listen to TalkShite; Hawkesby & Jacobs, quality.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Said it before & I'll say it again. Only 2 reasons to ever listen to TalkShite; Hawkesby & Jacobs, quality.

Exactly.

I can remember the moment I reached my tipping point with the station, and it was before Keys and Gray joined.

Ronnie Irani, who is just about the most annoying presenter I've ever heard (ok, Gough, Cundy and Houghton run him close at times), was sat there listening to Henk Potts doing his business update. Now poor Ronnie, does seem to have ailment whereby not talking for him is like the rest of us not breathing, and you could almost hear him shifting uncomfortably in the background, just desperate to find something to say, anything, just to get some words out.

But Henk was talking business, and Ronnie, doesn't really have anything to add there. Then Henk got onto the results from Cadbury, and he got a couple of sentences in when finally a Ronnie outburst of "Willy Wonka!" arrived. It was shouted in the hurried way we would all speak on finally taking a breath after holding back as long as we could. No-one commented, no-one reacted, they just carried on, and Ronnie sat back in his seat, having finally got some words out, any words.

The fact that he has survived on the station for so long, in what is a prime spot just says it all. Add in Gough, for drive time, and I'm really not missing anything at the times when I might listen. Download the clips of the week podcast (and they used to do a H&J Best Bits) and I've got the best of the station in a handy 4 min dose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here