• Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 132 38.2%

• Total voters

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
More fake news there......

BBC Breakfast (@BBCBreakfast) Tweeted: Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tells #BBCBreakfast it’s "a shame" the sentiment behind the Black Lives Matter movement is getting “tangled up with these organisational issues" and it’s "nonsense" to call to ‘Defund the Police’. https://t.co/7ydITWGZWN
https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1277556165040148485?s=20

This is Keir ‘take the knee’ Starmer backtracking on his solidarity with the BLM movement specifically on its objective to “defund the police”. Maybe “defund the police” is what the BLM movement wants to do in the US, maybe BLM U.K. don’t want to defund the U.K. police. I don’t know?

It doesn’t matter though, because after last year for many many people who watched the news taking the knee is connected to a movement that advocates defund the police.

One can only wonder what BLM activist Sacha Johnson and her family will think about the defund the police message if she pulls through........

You're sharing news from a year ago.

None of the footballers taking the knee are advocating anything other than racial justice. Certain people want to entangle it with other things but I can't think why ??? A mystery

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

None of the footballers taking the knee are advocating anything other than racial justice. Certain people want to entangle it with other things but I can't think why ??? A mystery

Desperation ?

He has now made more posts on this single thread than on the whole of the rest of NSC over the last 6 months (including all the other race fishing threads he so actively contributes to) :bigwave:

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Interesting article that makes some good points ...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-england-team-doesn-t-get-about-taking-the-knee-

My view .. any symbolic gesture hoping to promote and advance a worthy cause is most effective when it unites as many people as possible and has a positive impact. 'Taking the Knee' fails on both counts. Whatever the hoped for intentions It's clearly divided opinion, a minority boo (for whatever reason), many more think it's now run its course and some think it should continue. Continuous repetition also diminishes the impact, how would we feel about having a minutes silence after every game, wearing a poppy every week etc? Then there are the moronic arguments about keeping it going just to piss off the 'Gammon'/Racists which is as helpful as me suggesting people should boo just to piss off the Woke/Guardianistas. Unfortunately, there is no easy exit strategy as the extreme elements on both sides dig in, call each other names and the football authorities/players can't be seen to give in to the 'racists*' Hopefully, a solution/climb down can be found before we get back to full stadiums or there could be some public order issues at grounds next season.

*Anyone who doesn't support Taking the Knee

:thumbsup:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Up to the players whether they want to continue the practice if they genuinely think it will help the “cause” but I do wonder what will persuade them that it’s unnecessary?

If it’s the “end” of racism (however that’s defined) then they’ll be doing it literally for ever in my view…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Up to the players whether they want to continue the practice if they genuinely think it will help the “cause” but I do wonder what will persuade them that it’s unnecessary?

If it’s the “end” of racism (however that’s defined) then they’ll be doing it literally for ever in my view…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
More fake news there......

BBC Breakfast (@BBCBreakfast) Tweeted: Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tells #BBCBreakfast it’s "a shame" the sentiment behind the Black Lives Matter movement is getting “tangled up with these organisational issues" and it’s "nonsense" to call to ‘Defund the Police’. https://t.co/7ydITWGZWN
https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1277556165040148485?s=20

This is Keir ‘take the knee’ Starmer backtracking on his solidarity with the BLM movement specifically on its objective to “defund the police”. Maybe “defund the police” is what the BLM movement wants to do in the US, maybe BLM U.K. don’t want to defund the U.K. police. I don’t know?

It doesn’t matter though, because after last year for many many people who watched the news taking the knee is connected to a movement that advocates defund the police.

One can only wonder what BLM activist Sacha Johnson and her family will think about the defund the police message if she pulls through........

Perhaps they assumed people would have the intelligence to know the difference? I struggle with people who are fairly savvy but choose to be ignorant

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

Of course, George Floyd was murdered on 25 May, within 2 weeks we had Stamer et al taking a knee, violent BLM protests around UK, someone trying to burn the Union Jack on the cenotaph, kneeling coppers in front of baying crowds, Colston was down, Churchill was boarded up and all the while millions of people were in lockdown because thousands were dying every day due to a pandemic.

It’s only been a year but I remember it well........looks like some have forgotten already.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Perhaps they assumed people would have the intelligence to know the difference? I struggle with people who are fairly savvy but choose to be ignorant

Say it loud, say it clear, who are the ignorant ones here?

851237D5-112B-42F2-987E-2A90ACE36099.jpeg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

View attachment 137488

With regard to the US, it seems the arguments in favour of cutting police budgets to invest in people are eminently sensible.

In the UK it's not as clear cut, but does having one of the highest police budgets in Europe make us safer? Do police need to be responsible for alcoholism, homelessness, mental issues etc?

Anyway, I guess we'll find out if Harry Kane et al get their way and the revolution comes.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

View attachment 137488

You realise BLM adopted the taking a knee stance not the other way around. Because someone takes the knee does not automatically sign them up to BLM movement and all its political policies. ???

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
You realise BLM adopted the taking a knee stance not the other way around. Because someone takes the knee does not automatically sign them up to BLM movement and all its political policies. ???

I do.

You realise too that taking the knee was a reaction by African American NFL players during the pre-match US national anthem in direct response to a tide of police brutality in the US which was disproportionately affecting African Americans. Good for them for making that stand.

What has any of the above got to do with professional football players and football fans in England?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
With regard to the US, it seems the arguments in favour of cutting police budgets to invest in people are eminently sensible.

In the UK it's not as clear cut, but does having one of the highest police budgets in Europe make us safer? Do police need to be responsible for alcoholism, homelessness, mental issues etc?

Anyway, I guess we'll find out if Harry Kane et al get their way and the revolution comes.

I think we are in some agreement here, the situation in the US with policing is entirely different to the U.K. if the US President wants to reduce federal budgets, or state representatives likewise, then that is a matter for the US electorate. Absolutely nothing controversial with that statement.

Likewise, if BLM and their supporters in the U.K. want to reduce police budgets, that’s a political issue they can lobby for, however (probably in the same way that message lands in the US) many people will see the people marching on UK streets chanting “defund the police” as being naive at best, stupid at worst.

Currently in London a prominent BLM activist is lying in hospital having been shot in the head at a party. Assuming she pulls through it will be interesting to hear her view on the police involvement in her case?

So, all this means is the gesture Harry Kane et al are making pre match is intrinsically wrapped up in US politics. If they think English football fans don’t understand that then they are naive or most probably stupid.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I do.

You realise too that taking the knee was a reaction by African American NFL players during the pre-match US national anthem in direct response to a tide of police brutality in the US which was disproportionately affecting African Americans. Good for them for making that stand.

What has any of the above got to do with professional football players and football fans in England?
I do

What it has to do with professional football players and football fans in England is that they are showing solidarity against race hatred and inequality. It may have started in the US and you correctly stated it was in the NFL, but the message is a global one that encompasses all races in all parts of the world. Someone taking the knee is supporting the show of solidarity in that message it is not support for any one polictocal movement or thier polictocal agenda.

Anyway Im out of this conversation as it tends to rub people up the wrong way for some reason and i can't be arsed to argue the toss on its good or bad merits. :kiss:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I do

What it has to do with professional football players and football fans in England is that they are showing solidarity against race hatred and inequality. It may have started in the US and you correctly stated it was in the NFL, but the message is a global one that encompasses all races in all parts of the world. Someone taking the knee is supporting the show of solidarity in that message it is not support for any one polictocal movement or thier polictocal agenda.

Anyway Im out of this conversation as it tends to rub people up the wrong way for some reason and i can't be arsed to argue the toss on its good or bad merits. :kiss:

No worries, I appreciate the response.

I don’t agree that it is global message, taking the knee is not a gesture that is globally accepted. The IOC have stated clearly its not going to be allowed by the Olympics. As the booing showed on Sunday it’s not accepted by all in the U.K. which should be no surprise in light of the fall out from the George Floyd protests. The authorities (in lots of areas including football) had a choice on what way to go after the protests and by taking the knee intentionally or not they have backed the BLM movement with its roots in divisive US identity politics, which is a shame.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think there is a danger of lumping together people on both sides of the argument into homogenous groups.
Only a small minority of people of people who advocate continuing to 'take the knee' are marxists who wish to defund the police.
I think and hope only a small minority people who advocate stopping the gesture have a racist agenda.

I feel the lead on this has to come from the black and ethnic minority community (who are directly affected) and of course their message is not entirely clear when people like Les Ferdinand and Wilfred Zaha make counter intuitive comments.

Most people want to see an end to racism and ethnic inequality in the UK. That is the aspiration and we should have that as the debate and consider a more popular way of keeping the matter in the public domain rather than arguing over the derivation 'the knee'.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I noticed that the Hungarian players last night were pointing to their badges rather than kneeling . Would badge pointing be an acceptable alternative to kneeling or is kneeling the only way to demonstrate support for BLM ? Anyone here in the know ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I noticed that the Hungarian players last night were pointing to their badges rather than kneeling . Would badge pointing be an acceptable alternative to kneeling or is kneeling the only way to demonstrate support for BLM ? Anyone here in the know ?

The FA and the Premier League have backed themselves into a corner here. If they wanted to commemorate the the death of a career criminal then do it once a year, a bit like November remembrance. By doing it week in week out is tiresome, to say the least. There is no racial inequality in the UK, we are the most tolerant and accepting nation on the planet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Anyone on here supporting Croatia on Sunday, because they won't take the Knee?

The Cesspit that is Twitter is full of 'Heroes' saying they will support Croatia because they will stand up When England take the Knee.
will you be with them?

I was hoping that the England fans attending would have more class than to boo but I won't hold my breath.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Blimey, is it Monday again?

If it saves everybody time I can just paste all the posts from that knee thread under here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here