Taking the criteria of fanbase, stadium, potential and club history into consideration....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Premier League Clubs Attendances that are lower Then Brighton's ( After Completion)
Southampton 30,271
Stoke City 27,094
Norwich City 26,574
Fulham 25,523
West Bromwich Albion 25,030
Reading 24,100
Swansea City 20,343
Wigan Athletic 18,490
Queens Park Rangers 17,782

History has nothing to do with potential. look at Man.City.

My Verdict:
Brighton are in a brand new era, We are almost sleeping giants now. That have Everything in place to be in Europe.

We've never been giants.

So how on earth are we sleeping?

We've got potential. Nothing more. If we did not have a large investor, where would be?

As someone wisely said, some of our fans are so deluded, it is embarrassing.

BTW - why has no one mentioned Sheffield United, Coventry, Ipswich, Derby, Bradford City?

All historically more successful than us.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham, QPR for starters are not bigger than us. Were you not around for the sub-5k crowds at Craven Cottage in the late 1990s before Al-Fayed?!?! Arguably we are on a par with Southampton, Forest and possibly Birmingham,

:)

I've got to ask, how did you come up with this gem? :laugh:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is there a website that gives average attendances of all league clubs for each season down the years?

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
We've never been giants.

So how on earth are we sleeping?

We've got potential. Nothing more. If we did not have a large investor, where would be?

As someone wisely said, some of our fans are so deluded, it is embarrassing.

BTW - why has no one mentioned Sheffield United, Coventry, Ipswich, Derby, Bradford City?

All historically more successful than us.

Oxford Utd and Swindon Town have had more success than us.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't really get why so many footy fans are obsessed by worrying how big their club is.

It's the adult version of thinking about how big your todger is, whether it's big enough, and how big it could grow.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Don't really get why so many footy fans are obsessed by worrying how big their club is.

It is like penis size envy.

Or my Dad's bigger than your dad.

I think it is down to general insecurities and maybe inferiority complexes where people have to kid themselves about how "big" we really are.

Feb 14, 2010
This is the point, the size of a club is nothing to do with what it has won because if it was then Bury would be in the top half biggest clubs in the country. Those pointing out Newcastle, Sunderland, Fulham are spot on. I will also point out palace with sub 5000 crowds in the mid 80's when playing old 2nd div/ Championship football and Brighton getting bigger crowds than say Southampton despite being in a lower division. We also dont have to look back to those days now, as we can see that today, Brighton get bigger crowds than Leeds as well as a good third of clubs in the Premier league, despite being a division below. The fact that Brighton have just 1 FA Cup final appearance and 1 Charity Shield for glory is irrelevant to the size of he club as we are talking size, not success.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Re: Taking the criteria of fanbase

This is the point, the size of a club is nothing to do with what it has won because if it was then Bury would be in the top half biggest clubs in the country. Those pointing out Newcastle, Sunderland, Fulham are spot on. I will also point out palace with sub 5000 crowds in the mid 80's when playing old 2nd div/ Championship football and Brighton getting bigger crowds than say Southampton despite being in a lower division. We also dont have to look back to those days now, as we can see that today, Brighton get bigger crowds than Leeds as well as a good third of clubs in the Premier league, despite being a division below. The fact that Brighton have just 1 FA Cup final appearance and 1 Charity Shield for glory is irrelevant to the size of he club as we are talking size, not success.

This is all true if you base the size of a club on attendances. Until we decide on the factors that determine the size of a club this thread is pointless.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Brighton had bigger crowds than Southampton because the capacity of The Dell was capped at around 15,000. Whilst I agree that any assessment of a club's size should be skewed to take into consideration recent rather than ancient history (which will of course mean that your constant reference to the Charity Shield is now as irrelevant as it is to the other 99.9999999999999% of us), we're still a small provincial club that has done next to nothing.

A selective use of statistics fails at the first hurdle, as any analyst will tell you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Re: Taking the criteria of fanbase, stadium, ...

Big clubs play at the highest level, win trophies and have the best players playing for them.

We aspire to be a big club but are not one and have never been one.

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton had bigger crowds than Southampton because the capacity of The Dell was capped at around 15,000.

Er no. I was talking about late 70's. The dingly dell didnt get reduced to 15000 until all seater came in. The fact that Brighton got higher gates than Saints despite being in a lower division is nothing to do with capacity. There is also nothing skewed about the fact that Brighton get bigger crowds than Leeds and a third of the current top flight despite being a division below, and whilst you may think that history starts when you want it to start (which for you seems to be when BHA were in serial decline in the 1990s), Brighton have won the Charity Shield and have been to the FA Cup Final. Although as say, winning something is irrelevant to being a big club, just ask Bury.

Feb 14, 2010
Big clubs play at the highest level, win trophies and have the best players playing for them.

We aspire to be a big club but are not one and have never been one.

Big clubs dont always play at the highest level and often rarely win anything, just ask Wolves and Newcastle.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brighton had bigger crowds than Southampton because the capacity of The Dell was capped at around 15,000.

Er no. I was talking about late 70's. The dingly dell didnt get reduced to 15000 until all seater came in. The fact that Brighton got higher gates than Saints despite being in a lower division is nothing to do with capacity. There is also nothing skewed about the fact that Brighton get bigger crowds than Leeds and a third of the current top flight despite being a division below, and whilst you may think that history starts when you want it to start (which for you seems to be when BHA were in serial decline in the 1990s), Brighton have won the Charity Shield and have been to the FA Cup Final. Although as say, winning something is irrelevant to being a big club, just ask Bury.

So what is your criteria for being a 'big' club? Apart from having bigger crowds that Southampton for a couple of seasons in the 70's of course.

Feb 14, 2010
So what is your criteria for being a 'big' club? Apart from having bigger crowds that Southampton for a couple of seasons in the 70's of course.

The SIZE of a club is measured for me simply on fanbase, both current, historical, and potential. The SUCCESS of a club is measured on trophies, making Bury more successful than many a football club. It might be before your time but Mike Bamber, Mullery and Chris Catlin understood the SIZE and potential SIZE of BHA. Bloom is now seeking to turn that into a reality.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The SIZE of a club is measured for me simply on fanbase, both current, historical, and potential. The SUCCESS of a club is measured on trophies, making Bury more successful than many a football club. It might be before your time but Mike Bamber, Mullery and Chris Catlin understood the SIZE and potential SIZE of BHA. Bloom is now seeking to turn that into a reality.

So you are measuring our fan base on the two years since we have moved to the Amex? We have a large fan base but the last two seasons are inaccurate in terms of how that fan base has translated into attendances and fullfilling the potential of the club. Mike Bamber et al saw potential but failed to realise it. We all hope Tony Bloom does a better job, however until then we remain a mid table championship club with potential.

Over tyhe last ten years or so we have been a tiny club with a tiny ground punching above its weight. It will take us a few years to move on from that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Cheeky scamp, I was there in the Mullery and Cattlin years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports