Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Taking kids to their first football match - any tips?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I took my son to his one and only live football match, when we played Darlington away in January 1998 - we lost 1-0 and I seem to recall it was a pretty shit match!

Fortunately I had the foresight to take a Thomas the Tank Engine colouring book with me, which he enjoyed immensely...!

My wife refused to come to a game again with me following that match....

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Hi Jim,

I'm 48 and I've watched the Albion for over 40 years.

Any tips on how to ensure I remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins of 3rd round Cup games at home against lower league opposition would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I hope the boys had a good time and that there were enough distractions off the pitch for them to keep their interest from being subjected to what was on it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well that was NOT the game for a first visit for a kid!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Far more kids in attendance than normal, dressed up in their Albion gear. Hopefully they won’t have been put off by that performance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We took our next door neighbours and their 6 year old son to the NS today, first time he's ever been and he loved it. Got a bit bored in the second half but who didn't. Joined in with lots of songs and shouted along, "wake up" was his favourite. If he was anywhere else in the ground I think he would have got bored much earlier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We had our kids' cartons confiscated for the first time today, and it was pointed out that cartons are on the restricted items list. Absolute nonsense.

well thats confusing, been allowed with them since bottle cap blockade started.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We had our kids' cartons confiscated for the first time today, and it was pointed out that cartons are on the restricted items list. Absolute nonsense.

What is the matter with the club and common sense ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Also, an old ******** request.

When taking your little darlings to the match on the park and ride busses, especially from mill hill, can you please stop them from dinging the bell EVERY ****ING MINUTE.....

One dad when his little darling was doing this turned to him and said “ doesn’t it make a great sound”. The kid was about 11!

Also can you make sure that if there is little old men and ladies on the bus standing and your little darlings are sprawled over a couple of seats m you tell them to get up so the people who need seats can do so. There was an incident of the bus yesterday where a child was sat in the disabled seat and this old chap with a walking stick got on, he asked the child to move so he could sit down and received a mouthful of abuse from the little darlings dad as “ how dare this old guy tell his child what to do”. Luckily another old guy stood up so he could sit down and the little darlings parent just kept glaring all journey at the old man. There are some dicks in our crowd at times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

When taking your little darlings to the match on the park and ride busses, especially from mill hill, can you please stop them from dinging the bell EVERY ****ING MINUTE.....

One dad when his little darling was doing this turned to him and said “ doesn’t it make a great sound”. The kid was about 11!

Also can you make sure that if there is little old men and ladies on the bus standing and your little darlings are sprawled over a couple of seats m you tell them to get up so the people who need seats can do so. There was an incident of the bus yesterday where a child was sat in the disabled seat and this old chap with a walking stick got on, he asked the child to move so he could sit down and received a mouthful of abuse from the little darlings dad as “ how dare this old guy tell his child what to do”. Luckily another old guy stood up so he could sit down and the little darlings parent just kept glaring all journey at the old man. There are some dicks in our crowd at times.

You are pining for the 50s and 60s I fear. So many parents these days have no control over their kids and don’t see any problem in them pissing off other people. “It’s what kids do, you miserable old sod” seems to be a stock response these days.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hi All

Am taking my boys [6 and 4] to their first match at the Amex tomorrow. Any tips on things do do /things to avoid doing, and how to ensure the kids remain entertained/focused for the 90 mins would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Choose a different game.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Funnily enough, I offered my seat to an old bloke with a stick standing on the twisty bit of a bendy bus. He got very cross despite his wife suggesting he calm down. As soon as the bus turned at the lights, he fell on top of me as expected. I caught him and helped him back upright which made him cross again. No pleasing some people!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Funnily enough, I offered my seat to an old bloke with a stick standing on the twisty bit of a bendy bus. He got very cross despite his wife suggesting he calm down. As soon as the bus turned at the lights, he fell on top of me as expected. I caught him and helped him back upright which made him cross again. No pleasing some people!

Old people are just plain miserable sometimes. It's as though their age acts as a cloak of invincibility. They can be as obnoxious as they like in the believe they won't get thumped. They drive me mad. Can't wait for the next decade where I'll be officially in the club too

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Having studied this thread with great interest I've decided that I will wait till my 5 year old twins can wait till about 8 before I take the plunge. Just not worth the stress. Of course in the interim I can still start the brainwashing :)

Next time Brighton are in the tv try and get them to watch the game with you, if they are interested and enjoy it, take them to a game, if they arent interested then wait.

Not the same as being there but will at least give you an idea if they will watch a whole game.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Thank you all for the advice / feedback / experiences of taking your own children.

In all a successful day out, We lasted to the 90th min without a request to go home. Boys were interested for the first 60ish minutes, the last half hour was almost exclusively them watching videos on phone, I think many adults around me were tempted too!

Asking them yesterday morning their favorite part of the day, oldest boy said "The sprinklers going on" and youngest said "Everyone singing Sussex by the Sea" [proud], both agreed the football was boring as Brighton didn't score enough goals.

I will take them again but wouldn't take both boys to same game for a number of years. It was far too stressful almost loosing them in concourse etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you all for the advice / feedback / experiences of taking your own children.

In all a successful day out, We lasted to the 90th min without a request to go home. Boys were interested for the first 60ish minutes, the last half hour was almost exclusively them watching videos on phone, I think many adults around me were tempted too!

Asking them yesterday morning their favorite part of the day, oldest boy said "The sprinklers going on" and youngest said "Everyone singing Sussex by the Sea" [proud], both agreed the football was boring as Brighton didn't score enough goals.

I will take them again but wouldn't take both boys to same game for a number of years. It was far too stressful almost loosing them in concourse etc.
I don't know about any other concourses but it didn't take long for that anxiety to wear off, with my only slightly older two, in the ESL.

The club should take great pride in the fact the kids are comfortable to roam free around the Family Stand and concourse.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

To be fair, if that was on the way back, it's completely understandable

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I must admit I did think of you during the match. Back luck. Could have gone either way, we could have turned up and smashed them 5-0, sadly we didn't! I found it hard to sit there for 90 mins so not surprised they did.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Glad it was a success. Shame about the result if watching a defeat to nil against lower league opposition isn't character building and a useful education then nothing is! And if they can enjoy Saturday then imagine how much they'll love it when we actually score a goal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here