Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Taking a student lodger

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone on here have a lodger? I'm considering buying a flat with a small spare bedroom, which would be suitable for a student (room for a bed, desk, wardrobe, drawers and a TV).

Was hoping to do it quite informally without having a tenancy agreement, contract and all that schizzle, but that's not generally advised. I quite like the idea of just renting it out during uni term time, and having some periods (eg the summer) without a lodger - but most student tenancy contracts seem to be for a full year (which doesn't seem fair on the student really). But then I guess it becomes a bit difficult if you just rent it out for 10-week periods or whatever. Are one-year tenancy agreements for students now the norm? (I'm sure when I was a student you rented a place for the term).

Any advice welcome! Cheers.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If additional income it should be declared as taxable

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
7500 of the rent, per year, is tax free. This is assuming @kevo is living on his own. This tax free allowance gets divided up if he lives with others.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’m sure this public information poster also applies to landlords

IMG_3271.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember a lodger of mine years ago (pretty young thing) asking if she could pay in kind as she couldn’t afford the rent…. I put 10 washers on my cock before we did it. I mean she wasnt having all 9 inches for £40

I’m here all week

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Definitely have a formal agreement in place ….including gas/elec? …..you’ll lose your council tax discount (presuming it’s just you)……rules on cleaning? Friends allowed to stay over? ….quite a lot to consider renting out a spare room….i’d be intrigued to see how you get on….its something I will probably be considering some when in the future

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I remember a lodger of mine years ago (pretty young thing) asking if she could pay in kind as she couldn’t afford the rent…. I put 10 washers on my cock before we did it. I mean she wasnt having all 9 inches for £40

I’m here all week
How disappointing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I’m here all week
"I'm here all week"

Can we pay you up front now and you f*** off? :)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Don’t forget to inform your insurance company regarding household contents.
The insurance company I used to work for, on their most comprehensive/expensive/premium policy you couldn't have tenants at all. So 100% check with your insurers first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
51B81BC9-673F-48C9-95E0-5B39A5B5FAA5.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here